Hello! New here and need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeri

Mar 17, 2018
Ohio, United States
Just thought I would say hi, as I am brand new to this forum. I have been a smoker for over 20 years and started vaping around 6-8 months ago. I would like some advice regarding dual using and making the final switch. How long did you dual use, and how did you finally put down the cigs for good?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Welcome.
I dual used for 5 months. The last month or two I was only smoking 1-3 cigs a day. For myself I simply decided to not buy another pack. First step is finding a setup and nic level that works for you. Two things to keep in mind:
#1 vaping is the crutch, not the cure. You will have to do some of the heavy lifting to quit.
#2 every cig you don't smoke is a win. Don't stress the ones you do smoke, just makes you want to smoke.

Couple of tricks that worked for me was to keep my cigs close but out of my line of sight. I also found that if I lit a smoke and took 2-3 drags, put it out and picked up my vape I dropped down significantly the number if cigs I smoked a day. Once I was down to a half pack a day I started keeping track on a calendar how many I smoked that day. I wanted that number to go down so seeing it in black and white encouraged me to put off lighting the next one for a while. You just vape thru it.

What are you vaping on now? Brand, device, tank, and nic level.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just thought I would say hi, as I am brand new to this forum. I have been a smoker for over 20 years and started vaping around 6-8 months ago. I would like some advice regarding dual using and making the final switch. How long did you dual use, and how did you finally put down the cigs for good?

Hi Cheeri. Welcome to the ECF.

I Dual-Used for about 6 Months. Things went well but I struggled Quitting those last 2 or 3 Cigarettes. Especially the Mourning Coffee/After Dinner smoke.

What worked for me was to use 2 Set-ups.

One set-up had my Day-2-Day Nicotine Level. And the Other set-up was my "Break Glass In Case of Emergencies" which had a Much Higher Nicotine level in it.

The 2nd Set-Up is what I used in the Mourning with my Coffee and after Dinner. It also was a Saved me Many Times during that first 2 ~ 3 Weeks of being completely Smoke Free when the Wild Cravings would come out of Nowhere.

Making the Complete Switch was Tough for me. And took some Teeth Gritting at times. But I got thru it.

And You Can Too.

So since you have to have a Complete working Back-Up for your e-Cigarette anyway, I would Suggest getting some Higher than Normal Nicotine level e-Liquid and putting it into your 2nd set-up.

And use that 2nd Set-Up to replace those Last Few Cigarettes that can be Hard to Quit.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi welcome to ECF, congrats on moving toward vaping, that's great. There are various and sundry methods for quitting, so I will just mention what helped me (and I had a smoking husband in the house).

WTA (whole tobacco alkaloids) really helped me at first. They are pricy but you don't need very much of them to make a difference (if it does make a difference it doesn't help every vaper who transitions) you can look into Aroma or Umbavapes for a WTA maker, they are both good but Aroma is really the gold standard. I used them, decreasing in amount as I got through my tar detox, which can be hell in and of itself. Then I tapered the WTA slowly (much easier than combustible cigarettes) after I had quit, but I still keep a tank around, for stressful situations. They replace some of the common alkaloids in tobacco that cause feelings of anti-anxiety and anti-depression. It can be a good way to switch.

I also found the right setup and nicotine level, which for me was 18 m.g. nicsalt juices (I DIY) but some folks need to go higher, and some people keep an "ultra high" like 24--36 m.g. tank around for those stressful urges or when needing to get more nicotine more quickly.

Most of all, keep vaping. I vaped before a cigarette, (occasionally during) and right after, to reinforce I was becoming a vaper but also paying attention to what a cigarette did, and did not do for me. They were usually less satisfying in reality than they were, mentally.

I started cutting out the VERY first cigarette of the day (knew I would be smoking all day if I didn't) and then continued to try and delay, more and more each day.

I continually reminded myself that tobacco was everywhere and that didn't mean I had to smoke it, including the ones my husband was smoking in front of me. I would distract, delay, and also turned to ECF to learn more and for support.

Not having tobacco around DOES mean one step more to smoke, so if you can avoid buying cigarettes, do it. You may wind up buying them later, but it's still a delay.

Vape different places than you smoke, and "zone' areas I made a deal I could no longer smoke in my car only vape, etc. It was helpful at times.

Finally, regardless of method, there is going to be an uncomfortable time (maybe, some vapers switch more easily) but I had to accept I would go through detox, there would be a time vaping was NOT more appealing than smoking, but the longer I vaped, the longer those feelings became few and far between.

I found out I was a stress smoker, and when I fell off the wagon, I made sure to smoke Enough cigarettes that I would feel really ill and bad the next day. Those cigarettes were the hardest for me, but I hardly ever crave them now and vaping just keeps getting better and better.

Best of luck,

Anna

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Welcome. I began vaping last August after 45+ years 25-30 analogs per day. I was able to cut that in half almost immediately. Cutting further has taken months. Jan 13, 2018 was my first cigarette free day. But I still dual use. I bought a pack of cigarettes at the end of January and finished that pack in the first week of March. I have smoked two in the last seven days. Kinda weird, I know. Here's what worked for me to cut down.

1. In mid-September I bought a pocket notebook and wrote down the time of every cigarette I smoked BEFORE I lit up. I still do this, though there are a lot of pages with no entry. That meant no more mindlessly lighting up.
2. I kept vaping even when I had a setback. I chain vaped a lot even at 24mg nicotine. Still do, but have reduced the nicotine in my liquids - pretty much 16mg or less.
3. Getting the right device and at least one backup was crucial. I followed the advice of the members of ecf and that advice was very helpful - including drinking plenty of water. I now have six mods that I use every day. I never leave the house without at least two of them and two charger cables.
4. Finding the right juice is equally crucial. The folks at ecf turned me on to WTA and NET liquids. Those played a big role.
5. Finally, I began shifting my focus from stopping smoking to developing a strong vaping habit. That has happened. I much prefer vaping to smoking.

Everyone is different and has a different path to follow. Don't worry about dual using if that necessary for you right now, but keep vaping. Good luck

timmaaa

Mar 18, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Everyone's experience is different. I switched to vaping about 2 weeks ago and didn't even touch a cigarette in first couple of days. It became a little more difficult after that and I had 2-3 cigarettes a day for a few days. I think this was mainly because I initially bought a cheap vape and wantwa ever really happy with it. Since then I've splashed out and spent $150 on a better vape setup and my cigarette smoking is virtually zero now after only 2 weeks of making the switch.

Vaping definitely helps but you still need to be very resilient and strict on yourself. My advice would be to find a decent setup, even if it costs more. You'll get a better result, you'll be happier with your device, and the journey to zero analogues will be a lot easier. In the end it's all psychological and I've found this was the solution that has brought me to the point I'm at now.

Cheeri

Mar 17, 2018
Ohio, United States
Welcome.
I dual used for 5 months. The last month or two I was only smoking 1-3 cigs a day. For myself I simply decided to not buy another pack. First step is finding a setup and nic level that works for you. Two things to keep in mind:
#1 vaping is the crutch, not the cure. You will have to do some of the heavy lifting to quit.
#2 every cig you don't smoke is a win. Don't stress the ones you do smoke, just makes you want to smoke.

Couple of tricks that worked for me was to keep my cigs close but out of my line of sight. I also found that if I lit a smoke and took 2-3 drags, put it out and picked up my vape I dropped down significantly the number if cigs I smoked a day. Once I was down to a half pack a day I started keeping track on a calendar how many I smoked that day. I wanted that number to go down so seeing it in black and white encouraged me to put off lighting the next one for a while. You just vape thru it.

What are you vaping on now? Brand, device, tank, and nic level.
Love the idea of writing it down. Seeing it in black and white may really help me. I have every type of device/nic level/juice. I have everything from the sourin air and bo vape (both with nic salts), ikonn 22 with ello tank, few other devices, kylin mini rta, bravo rta, drop rda, demon killer tiny kit, freemax fireluke tank, ego aio with rba, couple other sticks. Oh, and hubby just bought me the smok x priv with prince tank couple of days ago. Yeah I am even making my own coils and into rebuilding. Except for the nic salts, I vape 6 mg in most tanks, but can only do 3mg in drippers. I probably have close to 200 bottles of juice and at least 10 different setups going at once. Definitely a willpower problem, lol. I am going to try the chart. Part of me just says don't buy any more cigs. Thanks for the reply!!

Cheeri

Mar 17, 2018
Ohio, United States
Hi Cheeri. Welcome to the ECF.

I Dual-Used for about 6 Months. Things went well but I struggled Quitting those last 2 or 3 Cigarettes. Especially the Mourning Coffee/After Dinner smoke.

What worked for me was to use 2 Set-ups.

One set-up had my Day-2-Day Nicotine Level. And the Other set-up was my "Break Glass In Case of Emergencies" which had a Much Higher Nicotine level in it.

The 2nd Set-Up is what I used in the Mourning with my Coffee and after Dinner. It also was a Saved me Many Times during that first 2 ~ 3 Weeks of being completely Smoke Free when the Wild Cravings would come out of Nowhere.

Making the Complete Switch was Tough for me. And took some Teeth Gritting at times. But I got thru it.

And You Can Too.

So since you have to have a Complete working Back-Up for your e-Cigarette anyway, I would Suggest getting some Higher than Normal Nicotine level e-Liquid and putting it into your 2nd set-up.

And use that 2nd Set-Up to replace those Last Few Cigarettes that can be Hard to Quit.
I have quite a few setups going, everything from 3mg in drippers/rta's to nic salts in the bo and sourin pods. I have found I do better when I vape the nic salts, but cannot vape them too long. I am realizing I just need to grind through it. Thanks for reply. Even though I have smoked today, I am going to not buy anymore cigs and see how I do. Thanks.

Cheeri

Mar 17, 2018
Ohio, United States
I dual used for about one month while decreasing the amount of cigarettes I smoked each day.

Finally, I decided I was going to vape this eVic as much as needed to curb the cravings.
never bought another pack and have not smoked tobacco since :party:
Thanks, I have definitely been dual using long enough. I have cut down, but not enough.

Cheeri

Mar 17, 2018
Ohio, United States
Hi welcome to ECF, congrats on moving toward vaping, that's great. There are various and sundry methods for quitting, so I will just mention what helped me (and I had a smoking husband in the house).

WTA (whole tobacco alkaloids) really helped me at first. They are pricy but you don't need very much of them to make a difference (if it does make a difference it doesn't help every vaper who transitions) you can look into Aroma or Umbavapes for a WTA maker, they are both good but Aroma is really the gold standard. I used them, decreasing in amount as I got through my tar detox, which can be hell in and of itself. Then I tapered the WTA slowly (much easier than combustible cigarettes) after I had quit, but I still keep a tank around, for stressful situations. They replace some of the common alkaloids in tobacco that cause feelings of anti-anxiety and anti-depression. It can be a good way to switch.

I also found the right setup and nicotine level, which for me was 18 m.g. nicsalt juices (I DIY) but some folks need to go higher, and some people keep an "ultra high" like 24--36 m.g. tank around for those stressful urges or when needing to get more nicotine more quickly.

Most of all, keep vaping. I vaped before a cigarette, (occasionally during) and right after, to reinforce I was becoming a vaper but also paying attention to what a cigarette did, and did not do for me. They were usually less satisfying in reality than they were, mentally.

I started cutting out the VERY first cigarette of the day (knew I would be smoking all day if I didn't) and then continued to try and delay, more and more each day.

I continually reminded myself that tobacco was everywhere and that didn't mean I had to smoke it, including the ones my husband was smoking in front of me. I would distract, delay, and also turned to ECF to learn more and for support.

Not having tobacco around DOES mean one step more to smoke, so if you can avoid buying cigarettes, do it. You may wind up buying them later, but it's still a delay.

Vape different places than you smoke, and "zone' areas I made a deal I could no longer smoke in my car only vape, etc. It was helpful at times.

Finally, regardless of method, there is going to be an uncomfortable time (maybe, some vapers switch more easily) but I had to accept I would go through detox, there would be a time vaping was NOT more appealing than smoking, but the longer I vaped, the longer those feelings became few and far between.

I found out I was a stress smoker, and when I fell off the wagon, I made sure to smoke Enough cigarettes that I would feel really ill and bad the next day. Those cigarettes were the hardest for me, but I hardly ever crave them now and vaping just keeps getting better and better.

Best of luck,

Anna
I need to just suck it up and not buy any more cigs. I have plenty of flavors and devices to get through it. Going to do it. Tomorrow I will not be a smoker anymore.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
How long did you dual use, and how did you finally put down the cigs for good?
I dual used for about a week before putting away tobacco forever.

I vaped as frequently and as much as I felt that I needed to. I knew that I would probably still get strong cravings for a cigarette, so I would occassionally allow myself to smoke HALF of a cigarette, and save the second half for the next strong craving. It worked out to be about 4 whole cigarettes for the initial 3 - 4 days.

Those half-smoked butts tended to taste pretty bad towards the end of the week, but in hindsight that probably helped me quit. I quickly began to prefer to vape instead of smoke, probably as my taste buds began to heal and reveal just how bad tobacco tasted.

I must add that I was extremely devoted to quit at that point in time. After about 3 weeks smoke-free, I ditched the cigalikes that I began vaping with and got a "real" vape setup with a mod and tank.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have quite a few setups going, everything from 3mg in drippers/rta's to nic salts in the bo and sourin pods. I have found I do better when I vape the nic salts, but cannot vape them too long. I am realizing I just need to grind through it. Thanks for reply. Even though I have smoked today, I am going to not buy anymore cigs and see how I do. Thanks.

You can Make It.

But as you said, sometimes you just have to Grit Your Teeth to get thru the Rough Spots in the beginning.

And then it gets Better. Much Better.

zangetsu88inc

Mar 19, 2018

I started vaping in July 2017 using a Kangertech Subvod that a friend gave to me for free to start out on,"awesomest friend ever!" I was dual using for about two weeks, by that time I realized how much I liked vaping and was craving more flavor/clouds so i bought my smok tpriv and when I started using that I switched my juice from a 6 to a 3 and haven't had a cigarette since :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread