Hello there, I'm Tony Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyblack

Oct 15, 2008
Florida/Guatemala
I find myself in a somewhat different boat than most of the posters I read about here.

I'm not looking to e-smoking as a way to quit smoking, or to replace it in any way actually, but rather, as a way to extend my experience in smoking beyond what I have previously enjoyed.

I'm not, and never have been a cigarette smoker, I just never could get used to the sensation of it. I've been a cigar and pipe smoker now for about 11 years, puffing regularly several times a week on average. (Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on lots of factors)

When I spotted my first E-cigarette online several months ago, I thought; "Gee, that looks like a great idea, wonder if they make cigars?" I didn't think about it again for quite some time, and then last week I ran across the ruyan disposable cigar, and the rechargeable version that Deal extreme sells.

Since I try not to be an impulse buyer, I thought about making the order for a little bit before I did, and started doing some research online, stumbling across this forum, among other resources. I've ordered the rechargeable version, along with some stuff to make my own e-juice to replenish the cartridges when they run dry.

For me, I like the tactile sensation of the smoke in my mouth, and consider it to be much more important than the nicotine for my personal enjoyment, beyond that, the flavor is high on the list of necessities, and I tend to smoke cigars that fit my own personal taste (usually $5-9 on average) and pipe tobacco that is equally agreeable to my palette. I'm hoping that I can find an acceptable e-liquid, or make something that is...

That's it, someone needs to come out with "Monte Cristo no 4" e-juice... any takers?

Well, all of this is by way of self introduction, hopefully I'll have a decent experience with e-smoking, and will hang out here for a while....

BlueSun

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2008
Canada, brrrr
Hey Tony,

I'm new here too. I have never been a cigarette smoker. In fact, the other day I found a pack of unopened cigs on the ground and handed them to a very happy smoker walking past me. I couldn't care less for them.

My interest has been cigars, which I thought would become a little hobby of mine a few years ago. I smoked very briefly, and even bought myself a small humidor. Unfortunately, quality cigars are very expensive here in Canada, though cheap cigarillos aren't that bad for a quick smoke. I gave up because of the price/quality issue and health worries.

Like you, I enjoy(ed) smoking for the tactile sensation and taste, not to mention blowing out large plumes of smoke. It's simply a relaxing thing to do. I don't care about nicotine. If anybody has ever tried to inhale a cigar, you'd know why not to do it.

So I just found out about these e-cigarettes and I find the idea very interesting. They look like cool gadgets. I somehow doubt that any e-cig/cigar would give you the same flavour as a good cigar or pipe tobacco at the moment. If this thing takes off, I hope that development in new juices will get closer to the real thing.

Anyway, at the moment I'm sitting on the sidelines and will not be buying anything until the technology becomes more reliable and, most importantly, health studies have been conducted. I'd also love to be able to puff away in my house (can't smoke outside in the winter) but I don't want to risk exposing my family members to anything harmful. I will mention the e-cig to my brothers though, as they have been smoking cigs for years.

Good luck on your search.

My interest has been cigars, which I thought would become a little hobby of mine a few years ago. I smoked very briefly, and even bought myself a small humidor. Unfortunately, quality cigars are very expensive here in Canada, though cheap cigarillos aren't that bad for a quick smoke. I gave up because of the price/quality issue and health worries.

Hey Blue Sun,
Nice of ya to say hello. I'll be sure and keep you posted about the developments that I find interesting in all this... it's funny, I used to always cross the border when I was up near Canada to grab a few Cubans... My how times ave changed, eh?

I like the no lingering odor/no second hand smoke aspect of the e-smoking idea a lot myself... Like you, I hope that someone comes up with a good cigar equivalent for these e-cigs.

From everything I've been reading, the Ruyan disposable is supposed to be a "cigar like taste" which is cool and a step in the right direction, with any luck, it will taste like a cigar that I like (cause there are a fair number that aren't worth putting in a humidor to keep the humidity level in my book...)

I'm sure I'll see you around!
Tony

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
Hey Blue Sun,
Nice of ya to say hello. I'll be sure and keep you posted about the developments that I find interesting in all this... it's funny, I used to always cross the border when I was up near Canada to grab a few Cubans... My how times ave changed, eh?

I like the no lingering odor/no second hand smoke aspect of the e-smoking idea a lot myself... Like you, I hope that someone comes up with a good cigar equivalent for these e-cigs.

From everything I've been reading, the Ruyan disposable is supposed to be a "cigar like taste" which is cool and a step in the right direction, with any luck, it will taste like a cigar that I like (cause there are a fair number that aren't worth putting in a humidor to keep the humidity level in my book...)

I'm sure I'll see you around!
Tony

Welcome to the boards, Tony. I used to be a huge fan of cigars myself, then pipe tobacco, then on to cigarettes. From what I've read, I believe the regular ecigars with french pipe flavor do the best job as far as mimicking an actual cigar or at least tobacco product as far as taste goes.

Welcome to the boards, Tony. I used to be a huge fan of cigars myself, then pipe tobacco, then on to cigarettes. From what I've read, I believe the regular ecigars with french pipe flavor do the best job as far as mimicking an actual cigar or at least tobacco product as far as taste goes.

Hi Dr. Fell,

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to look into the french pipe flavor. I actually started out with a pipe, and moved to cigars from there. I tried cigarettes several times, but just didn't enjoy the experience for whatever reason, I'd be tempted to chalk it up to inhalation, since I just puff on a pipe or cigar, but since I smoke a hookah as well, and do inhale that, I'm just not quite sure...

It seems like a pretty good community here, and I look forward to being a part of it.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread