Hello - Voltage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeDuke

Mar 20, 2019
Hello. I'm a new member and pretty new to vaping. I'm getting the hang of things, but have a few questions.

I'm using a dual 18650 mod in wattage mode. While vaping and holding the fire button, my OHM sometimes changes by .01. Is this because the coil is heating up? The display only goes to .01 so I'm assuming it's also rounding up or down, right?

Also, the voltage changes some, usually no more than about .15 or so volts. Why does the voltage change while vaping? Does it change to keep the watts where I set them?

I haven't had a cigarette in 3 weeks!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Luke

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy and welcome :)

There are a few possibilities:
1.) you may have a TC wire in your coil cartridge such as stainless steel. TC wire changes resistance as it heats. That’s how the mod tells how hot the coil is for TC.
2.) Small consumer grade meters just aren’t as accurate as they read out. It may be fluctuation within the meter.
Either way the change is very small.

• Agree
Reactions: Diver9543

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hello and welcome to ECF.
These small fluctuations aren't unusual. What brand and what batteries are you using? Where did you purchase them? It helps if you give us all the info, such as device, tank, and coil resistance, drop in or rebuildable, etc .

Congrats on the 3 weeks!!!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hello. I'm using two Sony VTC6 18650 3000mAh 15A batteries in an iJoy Shogun with a FreeMax Mesh Pro tank. I've been using .20 OHM double mesh Kanthal coils. I purchased everything from Element Vape.
Sounds like you're good. Where did you buy the batteries?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I purchased the batteries from Element Vape as well.
Hopefully they are authentic. It's safer to order your batteries from a battery vendor. I use Liion Wholesale for my batteries. The battery is the most important part of your setup. Have read any of Mooch or Batitude blogs posted here on ecf? Worth a read.

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2018
Finland (British)
My coils also change the resistance when they are new (first few burns to settle) and old (built up crap adds to resistance).
It’s quite normal.

If it changes dramatically like 0.2 or higher , then it’s possible loose connection or shorting out.

So small changes are fine

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Small changes in resistance in your case a hundredth of an ohm are normal and can be ignored. If the resistance is fluctuating by a few tenths of an ohm then it might be that your leads are not properly tightened.
The changes in voltage are the mod adjusting the balance of volts and amps being sent to the atomizer caused by this slight drift in resistance. This can also be ignored.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Welcome, Luke. The ohmmeter (resistance-measuring-thingy) in a vape mod isn't really accurate to the final digit, so when it flops around by 0.01 it doesn't mean much of anything. It's just measurement inaccuracy. And you're right about the rounding, so a display change of 0.01 could mean as small a measured change as 0.001.

The volt issue is pretty much the same thing. A mod works like this:
  • You set your watts
  • The board in your mod reads the coil's resistance and calculates the voltage it needs to offer the coil to provide that wattage
  • The board pulls energy from the battery, converts it into the appropriate form and passes it along to the coil
So whenever your resistance fluctuates, your voltage will too. The changes are small enough that they shouldn't affect your vape, so vape happy. You'll also see different voltages for different coils, but that's exactly what you want to see so it's nothing to worry about either.

@Letitia and @Baditude have suggested some great reading material, but here's a tip if you get into battery calculations: the voltage you usually see on your mod is not the same as your batteries' voltage (unless your mod displays that as well, as a few do). Mods usually display the voltage going to the coil, not coming from the battery. Since the board converts the energy as it passes it along, they're not the same.

Mooch's and Baditude's blogs are voluminous, to say the least, so here's my favourite place to start:
Congratulations on your first three weeks. May they be followed by many more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread