The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Hello, which vape suits beginner

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Justin xu, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Justin xu

Justin xu New Member

Sep 25, 2018
    I'm looking one vape for biginner

• Like Like x 2
  2. uthinkofsomething

uthinkofsomething Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    Welcome to the forum. Have you used any vape devices before or do you have any ideas about what you may want?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nikhforos

Nikhforos Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 29, 2018

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    There are a lot of decent beginner kits. Virtually any AIO including pods will work if you want something really small. The standard advice though is generally a single well made removable battery mod and a coil cartridge tank that can be used for either DL or MTL. Pico25 and a uwell crown 1 tank would be a good choice.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Bradder

Bradder Am I Chip or am I Dale? Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 12, 2011
    North Carolina, USA
    Hello and

Big Welcome.jpg

There are so many startup kits out there, it really does help to know what you want to do, how much you want to "fiddle" with a device, and any size, weight, convenience features you want.

Good luck. Feel free to ask questions or give your wishes here. You will find a lot of people willing to help.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    The Kroma A mod/Zenith tank combo listed above seems to be the new beginner setup most often suggested nowadays.

However, there are MANY different others. Things to consider:

How important is "size" and shape to you? How important is "battery life"? How important is "cost"? How important is "future adaptability" once you are no longer a beginner and want to begin to explore more advanced vaping (very few of us vapers are still using the same beginner setups that we started out with)?

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
    • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper.
    My recommendations:

• Avoid the cigarette size batteries ("cigalikes").
    • "Ego battery" setups and "pod mod" setups will work fine, but compared to a "mod" setup their battery life and e-liquid capacity will be lacking comparatively.
    • Variable voltage or variable wattage mod setups are a very worthwhile feature compared to a "fixed" single power output setup. An "unsatisfactory vape" can often be improved with a change in power setting; can't do that with a fixed output battery device. In addition, many flavors taste better with either a lower or higher wattage setting.
    • Look for a MTL (mouth-to-lung) tank for a vape draw most like a cigarette. Best tanks
    • Once you find that vaping works for you, strongly consider getting a "backup" setup for those occassional times when you first setup stops working. You can also use a second flavor in your backup setup.
    • Choosing the right flavor is just as important as your gear. You won't likely find a tobacco flavor that "tastes like a cigarette", better to find a fruit, candy, or desert flavor you like right from the start. Why You Don't Need an E-Liquid that Tastes Like Cigarettes

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  7. VapePro

VapePro Senior Member

Sep 25, 2018
    I disagree. Complete beginners should look for Cig-a-likes. They cost like 5-10 dollars and you can usually recharge them. The packs also come with flavor atomizers. You could also go for a pod system.

If you a mod, you may end up investing a lot into something you may not like. You will have to buy a mod, the batteries, the atomizer tank, a charger, eliquid.

Its like buying a house when all you need is an Air BnB. Or buying motor boat when you can test the water with a kayak.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. Katdarling

Katdarling Blinged mods and poli-TIX ready! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    :thumbs:

Brilliant, concise, thorough, well-researched and linked, and explanatory.

And I, having vaped for many a year, agree completely.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  9. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    The problem with cigalikes is they’re not powerful enough for a lot of people and it may keep them smoking

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Winblows

Winblows Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 10, 2017
    Copenhagen (UTC+1)
    Aspire Nautilus 2 on a battery giving 20 - 30 W

• Like Like x 2
  11. VapePro

VapePro Senior Member

Sep 25, 2018
    True, guess we left out a detail. You should look for 18-24 mg cartos if you going for a cigAlike with prefilled cartos. If there is an option to get Nic Salts, do it, there much less harsh. Smoking to vaping hits the throat hard at first. Go slow. I mean inhale slow.

Actually Ego is a good option too. A little bit more expensive, but ego starter kits are all inclusive. Just pick up some 38mg Nic Salts and you're good to go.

I would post some links but I dont want to break the rules again.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Sorry, I disagree with you.

Although many of us started vaping with a cigalike, very few of us still use them, and that's because of very good reasons. The vast majority of us quickly advanced to more sophisticated gear once we found out how poorly the cigalikes performed. Those beginners who didn't advance up to better gear, well, they usually went back to smoking.

As I recall, my first e-cig was a Smokeless Image Volt cigalike starter kit because I had convinced myself it had to "look and feel like I was using a cigarette". That concept lasted about 2 weeks. I quickly grew frustrated with the terrible battery life and small liquid capacity of the cartridges. I had spent over $65 for two batteries, a couple of packs of pre-filled flavor cartridges, and a charger. If I had paid attention to the recommendations of the vets on ECF, I wouldn't have wasted my time or money on such a kit. I could have purchased an excellent regulated mod and tank for that kind of money and gotten a better vape right from the start.

I have no problem with a smoker trying an inexpensive disposable cigalike to kind of experience what vaping might be like. But it must be understood that the experience must be tempered by the fact there are far superior vaping devices on the market and not to judge the cigalike's performance in the same ball park as the more sophisticated devices available. A battery the size of a cigarette can not compete with a real cigarette in performance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. bigeman

bigeman Full Member

My only advice is don't spend a lot of money on something until you know what kind of vape suits you. Some people just want the nicotine and their good (ego, pod). Others get into chasing clouds or flavor (sub-ohm). There are lots of deals out there, start simple. Then make sure to find a flavor you really like, whether it's because it resembles the cigarettes or because you love candy... whatever makes you prefer the vape over the cigarette.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    I agree with bigeman above. Since vaping is totally scalable, the choice you have can be overwhelming. The main thing to remember is, part of vaping is all about you the vaper, being in control and the freedom to fix/tailor any aspect of vaping you feel you need to improve upon. So before you buy equipment too advanced to control all aspects, it may behove you to start out simple and read a little before you spend your money.
    The information below may help you to obtain a good foundation of vaping knowledge.
    Might like to read:
    Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
    Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
    https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
    ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
    Beginner – Guide To Vaping
    Vape 101: Here's Everything You Need to Know about Vaping
    6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
    (10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
    (1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    My recommendation to most newcomers is to buy a budget friendly two battery mod, there are jillions of them, literally, a few I'm using that won't break the bank include the innoken proton the Eleaf Invoke which is very small and light, the Geekvape legend (which is large and huge but near indestructible and waterproof) possibly a teslacigs mod, they make all sorts of combinations.

You don't have to worry to much about the various bells and whistles, you will be starting out in wattage mode anyway. Then I sort of tend to advise buying two tanks separately a MTL and a DL tank, to find out what style of vaping you prefer, unless you have access to gear of friends to try and find out if you prefer to buy big clouds, or something with a tighter draw and more like a cigarette.

If you can afford to do it (I'd recommend a Nautilus 2 but REALLY recommend an Innoken Zeith as a good starter MTL kit, and then get a budget friendly DL tank to try, there are tons around and a couple particularly recommended for flavor would be the Original Crown Uwell or Crown 3 (which does lack the lower resistance coils.)

The reason I say that is a) even if you vastly prefer one tank over the other, well, this means you have found your "style" of preferred vaping fairly early on and without an INSANE amount of expense (although yes, for sure, it will be a ton more expensive than buying a pod mod (at first, pods are not cheap, you pay little on the front end and much more on the back end, and there are other expenses).

So, though, you will have a backup tank, you will have (fairly) efficiently established your style of vaping and the reason I recommend a two battery mod is, the worst thing that will happen if you decide you prefer MTL vaping is you will get vast and glorious battery life.

That will also require a decent battery and charger which you can learn more about by looking at these blogs:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blogs/mooch.256958/

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog-entry/baditudes-blogs.7609/

The reason I recommend this way is that while I am super great at recommending MTL setups, I have recommended a few to newer users who have found they don't enjoy that vaping style at all and this sort of (IMHO) can be the best and easiest way to figure it out, and if you stay on a reasonable budget, well, you can swiftly find out what type of vaper you ARE and if you like BOTH styles, well, then all you need is a smaller, maybe single battery mod for your MTL tank and there you are, vaping happily with a backup.

Welcome and I hope you find a good way forward for you!

Anna

• Like Like x 4
  16. United States

United States Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    JoyeTech makes a refillable "pod" system that acts like a cigarette, but is shaped like a vape device and includes a fire button. About $30 going in.

I began with a Cue pod system with a pre-filled cartridge. It required a timing of pushing a fire button with taking a drag. A day or two of timing and I no longer either choked from over-hit, or did not get a good drag. I bought a Penguin to pick what flavors I wanted and used a tobacco flavor at first.

Soon after I bought a Kroma A kit with Zenith tank. Now if it weren't for joining here I'd have never heard of it but... Being a member here also watered by desire for some higher end items as I was seeking more potential durability.

Bottom line, if you don't like the idea of a fire button to get a drag, then Aspire makes a nice pod shaped like a tear drop. They also have a credit card shaped one. Both are refillable so you decide the flavor, and the strength of nicotine.

I use a Kroma very often. It is a very nice "cig-a-like" acting modular device. My Cue? I don't know where that is now. The Penguin goes with me for shirt pocket friendly vaping (in stealth mode).

I own a few devices, but the Kroma is the only one I daily carry two of (with differing flavors).
    I like it that much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. VapePro

VapePro Senior Member

Sep 25, 2018
    How do we know this guy/girl isn't Just here to start a potential vaping business? Gathering intel, to find out what items and types of items he should begin stocking?

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. stols001

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Uh, we don't? And if so, so what? So someone is starting a business and wanting to find inventory well HOW SMART to pick the brains of ECF and also, HOW GREAT it is when a vape store stocks more than Smok and Kangertech!

I see now downsides to your (100% hypothetical and also pulled out of somewhere dark and deep) scenario.

The only issue would be if this person BECOMES an ACTUAL vendor and starts trying to sell us the awesome stuff we have recommended, at which point, the squad of mods would be SUMMONED and POOF.

Also, dude, like where do you come up with some of this stuff :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anna

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Nikhforos

Nikhforos Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 29, 2018
    I've hired him to do so to gather info. I'm the one starting a business.:rickroll:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. stols001

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Well, get in line thank you very much. LOL...

Anna

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.