Hello World! Charger question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locca

Jun 28, 2018
From Holland, been a vaper for almost 6 months using the Justfog Q16. I wanted to try the Sub Ohm thingy and got the vaporesso Tarot Nano & loving it !

But..

I've been charging the Nano (2500mah Built In Battery) with a joyetech Charger & Cable (5.0V 1000mA).
But that's just at home..

Is it safe to use a 12V Car Charger - 3,4A (17W) ? (using the 1.0A port)

0.jpg

English is not my mother tongue, please excuse any errors on my part. ;)

Reactions: stols001

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
The answer is yes... it'll only pull what it's designed for, not whatever max amps are available.
(It's putting out the standard 5 volts, that's not an issue.)

And being an internal LiPo cell, it may be designed to charge at a higher rate than 1 Amp.
I'd use that 2.4 slot and try to time it to see (I have a cheap little inline USB ammeter that lets me see these things on a variety of brand's mods... and cables. The cable can limit to 0.5 in many cases. Sucks to have to keep the slow ones away from my mods. :D )

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
As long as it's a quality one with internal protection circuit, it's all good, I've done it many times.

Stick with the 1A outlet, it's better for the battery, I'd never charge any of my mods or any 18650 above 1A.
LiPos =/= 18650s etc.

It will depend on the C rating of the LiPo pack, but that's what they'll design the circuit to provide.
It's the one advantage of internal batts I can get behind. [emoji14]

And 2 amp charging will knock a third off the life of a 2-3 Ah 18650, but they'll take it all day and night (though I stick to 1A as well. :D ).

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
LiPos =/= 18650s etc.

It will depend on the C rating of the LiPo pack, but that's what they'll design the circuit to provide.
It's the one advantage of internal batts I can get behind. [emoji14]

And 2 amp charging will knock a third off the life of a 2-3 Ah 18650, but they'll take it all day and night (though I stick to 1A as well. :D ).

If anything, a Lipo pack is even more sensitive to overcharging, heating up, and swelling... So even my other devices I'll charge at lower rates, and my cell phone which is around 7 years old now, it's original battery is still over 90% of capacity thanks to this. (my tablet, which is as old is over 80%)

I've been charging my mods and batteries at 1A or lower and they do not take that long to charge... 3-4 hours for the larger part, then the topping off takes another hour or two at the most.

Then again, I have something like 8 mods/tanks on the go at all times, so charging them as I rotate between them means that I never have to be sitting there watching them charge... :p

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
From Holland, been a vaper for almost 6 months using the Justfog Q16. I wanted to try the Sub Ohm thingy and got the Vaporesso Tarot Nano & loving it !
But..
I've been charging the Nano (2500mah Built In Battery) with a Joyetech Charger & Cable (5.0V 1000mA).
But that's just at home..
Is it safe to use a 12V Car Charger - 3,4A (17W) ? (using the 1.0A port)
Welcome and glad you joined.
Could contact:
Vendor who sold it/Manufacturer contact ---see if they will advise (any authorized distributor).
If something should go wrong, get the name of person or email reply for trouble free replacement.

Locca

Jun 28, 2018
Thanks everybody! I just wanted to make sure..

Like BrotherBob said, I contacted the vendor and they said that it was no problem.
Guy was using a Nano also and apparently you could charge the Nano up to 2.0A.

I tested it out, charged it with the 1.0A port just to be sure and encountered no problems..
About 100 minutes from zero to full, just like at home.. Yeah, it was a long drive.. :)

Again, thanks a lot everybody.. You guys rock! ;)

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
The answer is yes... it'll only pull what it's designed for, not whatever max amps are available.
(It's putting out the standard 5 volts, that's not an issue.)

And being an internal LiPo cell, it may be designed to charge at a higher rate than 1 Amp.
I'd use that 2.4 slot and try to time it to see (I have a cheap little inline USB ammeter that lets me see these things on a variety of brand's mods... and cables. The cable can limit to 0.5 in many cases. Sucks to have to keep the slow ones away from my mods. :D )

This ^^^

A device will only pull the amperage required by the on-board charging circuit of the device - regardless of the available amperage of the outlet. You cannot "force" the device to charge at 2a by connecting it to the 2a port. It just means that if the device can pull 2a, it will be available, if not it will draw a lower current from the adapter, even the 2a port.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would use one if the whatever is where my tobacco thingy in my car plug WORKED. I found it insulting that many cars no longer have one of those heating elements and etc., but DOUBLY so when mine is just USELESS, it's supposed to be an outlet and it is so not.

I did buy the base model but the least they could have done would have been stuck a mini heater toaster oven thing in instead.

But regardless, yes, you can use it.

Anna

Reactions: bombastinator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread