Help a Coil Building Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy1971

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2015
Cleveland, OH
I've been vaping for a long time, but I've always used pre-built coils (mostly Aspire tanks/coils). I'm getting pretty tired of sub-par taste and wasting money on crappy coils, so I'm diving into the RTA world and need the help of you fine people. Remember, I'm a newbie to a lot of RTA stuff, so be gentle with terms and such if you can!

I ordered a Pico 75W and a GV Ammit 22. Also bought some Coil Master K Clapton Wire 26+30 and some Cotton Bacon v2. I want to build a coil in the .5-.7 ohm range @3mm ID. So my question is, how many wraps should I make? I'm thinking 5-6.

Assuming I can make the coil I'm going for, what wattage would I want to run it at? I'm thinking ~30W?

Thanks in advance!

Bundy1971

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2015
Cleveland, OH
Is this config right? I'm showing slightly different numbers:

upload_2017-11-1_18-12-14.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-1_18-11-56.png
    upload_2017-11-1_18-11-56.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 18

sky4it

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Minnesota
I'll give you some advice since Ive built plenty.

I learned some of this stuff the hard way.

1) Dont make your wick to tight in the coil, as in too thick for the coil. If its overly tight inside the coil you can get a dry burn taste.

2) Dont make your wick too loose in the coil either. If you do you can get leaks because there isnt enough wick to keep up with the juice flowing into the atomizer chamber.

So what you want is a snug wick inside the coil.

3) Dual coils, I have found typically leak easier then single coils. This might not always be the case, but its why I dont like the Kayfun Monsters. However anything without quality restrictive airflow, will IMO, cause leaking. Its what makes Kayfuns really terrific.

Bundy1971

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2015
Cleveland, OH
So an update on my first attempt:

First...holy $%&# my eyes are HORRIBLE! Time to visit the eye doctor!

I ended up with 6.5 or 7 wraps by the time I figured out how to line the ends up to come out in the same direction without a 90° bend. That's an easy fix for next time. That coil ended up at 1.05 or 1.1 ohms depending on which mod I put it on (Vaporesso & Pico: 1.05; iStick 30W: 1.1); should have my ohm meter tomorrow. I know some fluctuation is normal, and that seems to be in the normal range. Also assume 30W is rounding up since it doesn't measures to tenths.

Haven't wicked it yet...trying to let my eyes rest before I go blind(er). Wicking shouldn't be an issue. I've wicked coils on a Triton RTA and know not to go too tight or loose, but I'm sure there will be a learning curve so thanks for the tip on that!

Last edited:

Paul Mohr

Oct 28, 2017
Adrian MI
Gauge is th size of wire, or more specifically the diameter of the wire. A higher number means a smaller diameter wire. I know, it sounds counter intuitive. Not sure why they do it that way, never bothered asking lol. And the diameter of the wire effects the resistance of the wire.

So 30 ga wire is thinner than 28 ga wire and has a higher resistance, which mean you can make a smaller coil at a higher resistance. Thicker ga wire lets you make the same size coil at a lower resistance.

Reactions: Letitia

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
On a regulated device like the Pico the coil resistance is not important.
Do your 5 wraps at 2.5 internal diameter and hit it at 20 watts to start, and increase until it makes you happy.
I really wish you would quit telling people untruths about resistance on regulated mods.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread