Stuck with my first RTA build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evgi

May 1, 2020
Hello guys!
I'm a DL vaper, my vape is Vaporesso GEN with SKRR-S tank.
A few days ago I decided to try the RTA, I bought the DOVPO Blotto tank, GeekVape N90 Fused Clapton Coils and Firebolt Cotton.
I came home and, unboxed my new toys and started my first RTA build after watching a lot of videos on youtube.
Unfortunately, every try went wrong and I can't understand why :(. Hope you can help me.

1. I took 2 premade 0.28-ohm coils, cut them and then screw them like I saw, turn on my mod and it shows me 0.07-ohm, I tried again and again and it still was like that.
after I ruined a few coils I decided to try one coil build, and when I did that the mod showed me 0.27-ohm like it should.

2. When I put the cotton lace thru the coil, it was tight, is it normal?
cause I pulled it and it almost riped out my coil, so I did it much more gently.

3. Finally, I finished my one coil build, I put some juice and started to vape, and again something was wrong, I had a lot of juice flown to my mouth, is it because I didn't have enough cotton?

4. Last one, how long the cotton last(+-)? I need to change both the cotton and the coil every time? or the coil last longer?

I'm sorry for all the digging, I just couldn't find the solutions for these problems.
Thank you for your help!:)

Reactions: stols001

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
4. The cotton will last as long as it lasts.. could be a day or 3 weeks or more. Depends on how you use it, whether you burn it or even the flavors used. The coil you should be able to use for a good long while, you just need to clean it when it gets gunked up, Several ways to clean them, most use the dry burn method.

3. You didn't prep the coil and cotton before you vaped? Dripped son juice on the coil, give it a quick burst of power to let the juice get in the coil, repeated a few times moving further off the coil while blowing on it? You may have just not prepped it good enough, so the cotton didn't absorb the juice. May not have had enough cotton in the wells also see #2.

2. Your lace may not be the right size for you coils, don't know. Use a twisting motion to keep it moving through, don't be afraid to get your finger in there to help. A little squeakiness is fine ( I use rayon...). After you cut the starter off, fluff your ends by combing through the ends, only trim what you need to and stuff the ends in the wells, ensuring the ends are facing downish. Then hit #3 above.

1. Your coils together should read near .14 together. Maybe didn't tighten one of the coils good enough?
Did you check for hot spots, no bright spots in the coils when heated before putting the cotton in? Even heating of the coils, normally center out to both ends, or both ends onto the center?

Welcome to the ECF Good luck!

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,
One of our members @Make 'N' Vape has a review you may want to read.
DOVPO BLOTTO RTA - Vaping Bogan - Review - Make 'N' Vape

Question
1. With a single coil, the resistance should be close to the rated .28Ω, a dual coil build using those coils should result in a final resistance of about .14Ω

2. I don't use use cotton, however, that sounds like a bit too much.

3. What was the resistance of the build and how many watts did you use?

4. Cotton can be changed hourly, daily, weekly, when it starts to give an "off" taste or when ever the coil gets gunked up. YMMV based on the type juice you use. In general, if it tastes sweet, it will probably gunk coils quickly.

HTH
I

Evgi

May 1, 2020
4. The cotton will last as long as it lasts.. could be a day or 3 weeks or more. Depends on how you use it, whether you burn it or even the flavors used. The coil you should be able to use for a good long while, you just need to clean it when it gets gunked up, Several ways to clean them, most use the dry burn method.

3. You didn't prep the coil and cotton before you vaped? Dripped son juice on the coil, give it a quick burst of power to let the juice get in the coil, repeated a few times moving further off the coil while blowing on it? You may have just not prepped it good enough, so the cotton didn't absorb the juice. May not have had enough cotton in the wells also see #2.

2. Your lace may not be the right size for you coils, don't know. Use a twisting motion to keep it moving through, don't be afraid to get your finger in there to help. A little squeakiness is fine ( I use rayon...). After you cut the starter off, fluff your ends by combing through the ends, only trim what you need to and stuff the ends in the wells, ensuring the ends are facing downish. Then hit #3 above.

1. Your coils together should read near .14 together. Maybe didn't tighten one of the coils good enough?
Did you check for hot spots, no bright spots in the coils when heated before putting the cotton in? Even heating of the coils, normally center out to both ends, or both ends onto the center?

Welcome to the ECF Good luck!

Thanks for your fast replay and tips?!
3. I did prep the cotton and the coil, i think i just used not enough cotton.

1. Finaly i understand how much ohm its need to be, i tight them well i think cause i triple checked that:p
And i couldnt even fire my mod to check hotspots cause it said "law resistance"
I will get some coils tomorrow and try again.
2 coils of 3mm is good for this tank?
Thanks again!

Hi,
One of our members @Make 'N' Vape has a review you may want to read.
DOVPO BLOTTO RTA - Vaping Bogan - Review - Make 'N' Vape

Question
1. With a single coil, the resistance should be close to the rated .28Ω, a dual coil build using those coils should result in a final resistance of about .14Ω

2. I don't use use cotton, however, that sounds like a bit too much.

3. What was the resistance of the build and how many watts did you use?

4. Cotton can be changed hourly, daily, weekly, when it starts to give an "off" taste or when ever the coil gets gunked up. YMMV based on the type juice you use. In general, if it tastes sweet, it will probably gunk coils quickly.

HTH
I

Hi! Thanks for your help and tips!!!
I saw tgat review few times, it was super helpfull!

3. It was .27 ohm an i vaped it on 50 watts
But like i told SupplyDaddy, i think i just had not enough cotton.

The wicking should slide back and forth with minor ease. The reason is it will expand with juice. That is the two sentence on that.

If just starting out, I would go with a single coil. Just to make a start.

Keep it simple, success will occur.

Thanks for the tips and explanation!
Is 4mm single coil is good?

Thank you all again! :hubba:

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
4mm coil? Bigger than all that I have heard of, but it should pull a lot of juice in. I think I only heard of someone doing a 3.5mm...once. I do 2.5 or 3mm. But, then again, I don't run high wattage.

Tinker away. If you are making your own coils, they are cheap.

Evgi

May 1, 2020
So i went to the shop and buy some wire(N80 fused clapton wire by geekvape) and tried to make some coils by myself, and finally, it works:w00t:, i think lol
It showed me 0.13-ohm with a double coil(it is good right?), i started to vape and the taste is excellent but i had less clouds then the SKRR-S tank, anybody knows why? i used in on a pulse mode on the mod.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So i went to the shop and buy some wire(N80 fused clapton wire by geekvape) and tried to make some coils by myself, and finally, it works:w00t:, i think lol
It showed me 0.13-ohm with a double coil(it is good right?), i started to vape and the taste is excellent but i had less clouds then the SKRR-S tank, anybody knows why? i used in on a pulse mode on the mod.

You might want to move a little higher on the coil resistance. Some Mods, maybe all, have a low resistance cutoff. You may be skirting the edge of the point where the mod declares a shorted condition and shuts down with excessive amp draw. I'd add a few more wraps to the coils for now and try to stay at .5 ohms or so while you are learning to build.

Coil wraps that touch will lower the total resistance of the coil. When you put those coils into a parallel configuration you halve the resistance compared to a single coil. Don't trust what the mod says until you know it's accurate, use an ohm meter for comparison to see what the actual resistance is.

Be safe!

Last edited:

Evgi

May 1, 2020
You might want to move a little higher on the coil resistance. Mods all have a low resistance cutoff. You may be skirting the edge of the point where the mod declares a shorted condition and shuts down with excessive amp draw. I'd add a few more wraps to the coils for now and try to stay at .5 ohms or so while you are learning to build.

Coil wraps that touch will lower the total resistance of the coil. When you put those coils into a parallel configuration you halve the resistance compared to a single coil. Don't trust what the mod says, use an ohm meter to see what the actual resistance is.

Be safe!

Thanks a lot!!! I will try it soon:)

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I am not familiar with your topper, but flavor is different, better or less, with the distance from your coil to the airflow into the atomizer chamber. Two large coils may have to be farther from the air because of size. Just keep in mind that distance between the coil and air flow does make a difference.

Just another variable to consider when building coils.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
There is a learning curve... be patient.
All good advice so far... especially about checking resistance and looking for "hotspots". When you first install coils (don't be afraid to do dual coils) gently pulse the mod (at lower watts than you will be using) no hurry... pusle a little longer each time and watch the coil... see if it glows evenly. Ideally it should glow mostly towards the middle and then the entire coil should glow evenly. There is a technique called "raking" where you scrape the coil with something (screwdriver) it's hard to explain but it helps the winds (wraps) slightly separate (not enough to notice but it works) I didn't believe in this until I tried it myself and was amazed to see it work.

RuiG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2019
Portugal
To begin your journey witha dual coil is almost twice as hard.

Some tips that might help:
-Space the coils a bit. Meaning stretch the loops of the coils so they are almost touching each other. This avoids hotspots if you are not aware on how to take care of them
-From what I read, the Blotto is not hard to get good results but takes some tries.
-More important than all, don't give up.

Stay safe.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I always stretch my coils after winding, then push them back together while they are on the mandrel. That leaves a miniscule gap between the coils (just enough to see light when you hold it up to a window). I like to think that the small gap allows some extra vapor to escape when I take a hit. It also prevents a low resistance reading on first firing. Once you've hit the fire button once to see how the coil is firing the wire will anneal the wire and create a coating that stabilizes the resistance against a coil to coil short.

Do the dry firing before installing the wick, or course!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Evgi

Evgi

May 1, 2020
Hello everyone!!
Thank you again for all the help!!!
So i tried a few more times to make it work, but when i used 2 coils it always showed me 0.08 resistance unfortunutly and when i used one coil it was good (0.28 resistance).
Sadly i didnt like this tank because the airflow is a little weak for me, maybe i will try another thank.
Thank you and have a great weekend!

G-weezy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Minneapolis
Here’s an old write up I did. Hope it helps.

qewJdSR.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Evgi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread