Help better understanding batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

apbtdog1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2012
East TN
I just don't get the battery stuff! I got a LT and it takes a 18650 battery the two that came with mine are 1600mAh and i found a site that has 18650 2200mAh for sale for $7.99. Wouldn't that work? I mean isn't the mAh just....or well isn't the higher the mAh the longer the charge of the battery will last? Is that right?

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
The LT really needs an IMR battery. IMR (LiMn) batteries are capable of delivering more amps than the 'normal' li-ion batteries (ICR or LiCo or protected li-ion). The LT uses a boost circuit to basically convert amps to volts, that's how you get higher voltages from a single 3.7V battery. If the battery doesn't provide enough amps, the LT won't be able to operate at the higher voltages. And using a non IMR battery in an LT may put a strain on the battery.

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
You can't use just any old battery. Your PV puts a lot of strain on a battery and a cheap Lion battery could easily fail. Occasionally they even explode.

The AW IMR 18650 battery is a safer chemical battery that can take a beating and keep going for months. They also produce better power throughout their discharge cycle then other batteries like the Trustfire and Ultrafire, which means you'll get a better vape even when you run them down for awhile.

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
What was said is perfectly correct. Boosted single battery design draws large amounts of momentary current from the battery, and the IMR is the best suited for this application. IMR batteries can stand up to 20 Amps of current, which is enormous. Moreover, when they fail, IMR batteries do not explode, they just get very hot. The IMR batteries are not protected because they are designed for high current applications and are relatively safe when they short out.

In a purely mechanical mod, without electronic protections, you might consider protected ICR batteries, but there's a lot of debate there as well - if that tiny piece of circuitry on the battery fails, the results are catastrophic, whereas if you were using an IMR battery that would happen would be massive current dump and heat - still pretty bad, but no boom. Another option is to use the Vape Safe fuse with any battery just for an added layer of safety.

Batteries are like a box of chocolate - you never know what you're going to get. It's best to stick to well reputed vendors and branded batteries. A lot of user experience (not only in the vaping world) recommends the AW branded batteries. Another great option (probably better) are the Panasonic batteries. There is no good reason, ever, to skimp on batteries.

I would recommend several vendors, with the caveat that this is from a limited experience: Super-T, Oveready.com and RTD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread