Help finding right menthol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
I'm trying to make a dragon fruit menthol mix that is similar to one of my favorite e liquids. The problem is I'm very new to mixing and can't figure out the menthol part. It isn't like my CAP menthol. I'd describe it as very light yet crisp, it's the perfect menthol vape for me because menthol isn't my favorite but this is like I said different than my CAP menthol.

Can anyone help me identify what flavor to get or brand of menthol?

I think I can handle the dragon fruit part.

Reactions: stols001

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
Even if I knew the name of the juice your trying to simulate, I probably wouldn’t have experience with as I don’t do a lot of minty, menthol, etc. I would recommend trying ws23. An extremely light menthol comes to mind when I taste (experience) it. It's basically methyl diisopropyl propionamide. It was originally discovered for use in gum to add that fresh cool mouth feel without the harshness and after taste of menthol. I would describe it as crisp and maybe even light at minute percentages. Personally, I wouldn’t use more than minute amounts of any menthol, mint, wintergreen, peppermint, etc. If ws23 doesn’t work out for you in this recipe, it has many uses. It’s an additive used in vapes which would be cold if not a vape juice but a beverage, ice cream, etc. It tricks your brain into believing your vaping something cold. It might not be what your looking for but came to mind when reading your post.

Last edited:

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
Hmm. I didn't think of that. It kinda taste like a menthol koolada fusion. OK new question. What percent would I mix these with dragon fruit for a light or mellow menthol?
IMO, koolada is strong. I’d start low, maybe .10% Then you can decide if you want to go up or down from there. I’d say the same for ws23.

Reactions: stols001

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I actually have a Dragonfruit Menthol recipe. It was actually Pomegranate Menthol. I didn't like the Dragonfruit so it seemed a good place to use it up.

Menthol alone doesn't taste very good to me, like vaping Vick's vapo-rub. For something like this I add peppermint.
All TFA
Dragonfruit 8%
Peppermint .33%
Koolada .33%
Menthol .33%

I always use Koolada with Menthol in equal parts.
I don't always use Peppermint, that depends on what it's going with. A straight fruit with no mint-like flavors would get peppermint for the first try.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
+1 for trying Koolada.

Menthol always had a distinct flavor, reminiscent of Vick's or Mentholatum, to me. Menthol flavoring (either commercial flavor concentrates; or DIYed from crystals) don't really vary a whole lot. It is similar to E.M., in that it is a chemical compound (vs. a proprietary factory recipe), and only possible variances are in dilution amount, and diluting medium. If Cap Menthol isn't working for you, I doubt any other brand would be better. Koolada still offers a cooling effect without the menthol taste.

WS-23 is supposed to be quite similar to Koolada, but that is only hearsay on my part, as I have not personally used it yet.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
WS-23 is supposed to be quite similar to Koolada, but that is only hearsay on my part, as I have not personally used it yet.
I’ve used both and personally prefer ws23 usually but not always. If it’s a vape that should be both cold and minty, I’d use koolada and if only cold, ws23. Though I personally wouldn’t use either in all instances of possibly needing the cooling effect, etc. IMO, everyone should play around with them a bit to see where, when and how much they might enjoy. Also, IMO, ws23 is a bit milder and smoother mentholated mouth feel than koolada. So if your wanting slightly more of that, I’d try koolada first. Hope this helps!

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
Actually I find there is a difference in menthols. To me, CAP is a little on the weak side and it has an almost minty feel to it. I do not like it personally as it gives me a scratchy throat. I use FW menthol as it is stronger with more of that eucalyptus feel to it. Have not tried others but just wanted to point out there is a difference between some brands of menthol. I wish I knew that before I ordered a larger bottle of the CAP menthol...doh

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I'm going to try Myks recipe because I have all the ingredients except dragon fruit plus it looks good.

I don't know what % your dragonfruit would be used at. FA Pomegranate was different than TFA when I ran out. Tolerable but did need to be turned down.

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
I use menthol in all my juices and for me it depends on the other fruits being added but I do use dragon fruit in multiple recipes and I find that 1% to be just enough menthol to give it that cool taste but not overpower the other flavors.

.75% to 1.5% is what I use in all of my juices. 1% being the average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread