Help for someone who is bad at mathematics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeanie

Jun 25, 2012
Newberg
Hi all.

As an old lady, I need help. This is the only supplier I can order from at the moment, and they don't offer a 'naked' juice that I can use. I normally order in the US, where things are easier in this respect. I think this Australian company imports from the US, and they just pass the costs along.

18 mg nicotine
30 VG/70 PG

How the heck do I get what I want from this company? Don't worry about the flavor part. Just the base is all I am after. There are all kinds of "here's how to do it" on the website, but it is made for people who can work out this stuff more easily than I can. The customer service is no help.

Thanks very much!

Unflavoured Nicotine 200ml

Reactions: stols001

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
That nic is 100mg per ml. You can get it in PG base or VG base.

You need something to cut it with. Like PG or VG (no nic).

Then you "cut" it down to whatever you want. Assuming you get the PG base.
So if you want 18 mg nic, you'd cut it down (without flavors) using 18 parts of that base, 52 parts PG, and 30 parts VG to give you 18mg with 30VG/70 PG.

Someone check me on this.

If you want to flavor it, most flavors are in PG, so you'd substitute some fraction of that 52 parts PG for flavoring, depending on the flavor if needed.

So the ratios are 18 to 52 to 30.

You can pretty much round all that off if you're not too picky and use 2 base: 5 PG : 3VG ratio for 20 mg. That's also 1/5 container filled with nic base, 1/2 PG and 3/10ths (hard to measure by sight) VG, for 20mg per ml.

I just eyeball my 10 mg mixes by "guessing" 1/10th of the bottle, then pour in some combo of PG and VG to suit my taste. ;)

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
30 ml bottle? 18 mg can be a bit tricky to hit exactly with fractions of a ml.

OK, 15 ml PG, 10 ml VG, and 5 ml nic base in PG = a 16 mg/ml solution. So if you go slightly up on the base you'll be at your 18.

or

6 mg nic base in PG with another 10 ml VG and the 14ml PG will get you at 20 mg/ml.

Thanks. I guess I was asleep in the class where we did ratio's and converted it to metrics. The guy at the shop asked what size bottle I was filling and I told him 30 mls at a time. Then he disappeared.

The thing is I don't use flavoring. I prefer it neat at this point.

Ugh...Well, thanks for trying. I appreciate it.

Reactions: newyork13

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
If I can try to make it easier.
Assume you do buy the nic base with PG. You'll get a 200ml bottle of 100ml/mg nic strength in a PG base.
You need to get some PG and some VG.

So, to make 30ml of your mix
18 mg nicotine
30 VG/70 PG

This is the recipe..
by volume..
5.4ml of the nic base
15.54ml of PG
9ml of VG.

or by weight...
5.59g of nic base
16.10g of PG
11.35g of VG

Again, this assumes you get the nicotine in PG.

I like to mix by weight, and digital pocket scales are about USD$15

Good luck!

ps, google e-liquid recipes for a great calculator that does the math!

Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Hi Yeanie,

Are you looking for quantities for a 30 ml bottle (in which case @DaveOno has you covered, although there's a typo in his volume recipe - for that, the units should say ml, not mg), or do you want a formula you can use to calculate it yourself? If you want a formula, let us know and we'll provide.

If you want to mix it in 30 ml batches, you'll need either a scale (preferably accurate to 0.01g) or some needleless or low gage needle syringes. You can find the syringes at sites that offer DIY supplies, at agricultural supply stores or at pharmacies (where they're usually called oral syringes and are used for measuring medication).

You might find it easier to mix 100 ml batches because then you wouldn't have to deal with measuring parts of millilitres.

For 100 ml of your mix, if you get the PG version of the base, you'd want:
  • 18 ml base (the nicotine)
  • 52 ml PG
  • 30 ml VG
You could use a graduated cylinder to measure it all.

Getting all your supplies from that site, to mix 100 ml batches you would need:

If any of this is unclear or you need further information, please just ask.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
(in which case @DaveOno has you covered, although there's a typo in his volume recipe - for that, the units should say ml, not mg)
Thanks, and I fixed the post.
That's what happens when you are so used to weight mixing!!!
But a great idea you gave. Larger quantities are easier to measure, and easier math, the point of the thread.
And thanks, you (and another thread) have convinced me to change my ways. I usually make 50ml or 60ml bottles/batches. No more. I will now mix up 200ml of 35/65 pg/vg at a 3 nic strength. Then I'll just drop in some flavors into smaller bottles to finish.

Yeanie

Jun 25, 2012
Newberg
Are you sure you want 30 VG/70 PG ? That's very thin juice ( a lot of PG) That same company has pre-mixed unflavored that is 70 VG/30 PG in 18 mg nic (it does cost more than making your own but ready to vape)
Naked Flavourless E Liquid 100ml
Thanks. I prefer more PG - I guess I am just odd that way.

Yeanie

Jun 25, 2012
Newberg
Hi Yeanie,

You might find it easier to mix 100 ml batches because then you wouldn't have to deal with measuring parts of millilitres.

• 52 ml PG
  • 30 ml VG

If any of this is unclear or you need further information, please just ask.

Thanks very much. I can easily use a 100 ml bottle. And having the exact measures in ml's is what I've been hoping for. As you guys can tell, this is not my best subject!

Yes, doing it by weight sounds like a good idea too, but for now, using liquid measure makes it easiest for me.

I am very grateful for such a helpful crew on this forum. And I am reading each reply with a smile on my face.

Last edited:

Yeanie

Jun 25, 2012
Newberg
  • 52 ml PG
  • 30 ml VG

Thanks @Hawise. This simple recipe makes sense! I have been baking cakes all my life, and I can understand a recipe easier than I can do the calculations. :)

Reactions: DaveOno

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Hi all.

As an old lady, I need help. This is the only supplier I can order from at the moment, and they don't offer a 'naked' juice that I can use. I normally order in the US, where things are easier in this respect. I think this Australian company imports from the US, and they just pass the costs along.

18 mg nicotine
30 VG/70 PG

How the heck do I get what I want from this company? Don't worry about the flavor part. Just the base is all I am after. There are all kinds of "here's how to do it" on the website, but it is made for people who can work out this stuff more easily than I can. The customer service is no help.

Thanks very much!

Unflavoured Nicotine 200ml
You got loads of help so far, so I'm sure you know how to proceed from here. The link to the product you posted shows a highly concentrated nicotine solution so like others mentioned earlier, it's to be mixed with other ingredients. In the future: there are various free online calculators available that do all the maths for you- all you need to do is type in the numbers and they will tell you what needs mixed at what proportions.
The one I currently use for ready e-liquids that have no nicotine in them and I need to calculate how much of nicotine solution to add to achieve the strength I want (just scroll down the page):
Nic Shot Calculator

When I mix new e-liquids from scratch, using raw engredients like vg, pg, flavorings, additives, distilled water, and nicotine solution, I use calculators similar to this one:
E-Liquid Calculator - Best DIY Vape E-Juice Calculator

These were just examples, if you type "e-liquid free calculator" into google you'll find many more that do the same thing. Some have limitations so if you find one that doesn't satisfy your needs just look for a different one. Best of luck :)

• Agree
Reactions: Yeanie

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Thanks. I prefer more PG - I guess I am just odd that way.
No worries... many people do. Just that it's common to get the ratio backwards. Personally, PG only bothers me over 35% (just a slight throat irritation) You will want to mix your own for sure (it's not that hard... do it once and repeat the measurements)

Reactions: Yeanie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread