help for the newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepeachymom

Mar 3, 2010
The Colony, Tx
I am putting together a short e-book about the electronic cigarette in the hopes of getting those smokers who are "on the fence" to see the light. Any of the experiences that might ring some kind of bell for someone might be just the story that will swing them off the fence and into the better alternative. anything I share will be attributed to the author.
Also, I will be addressing some of the most common questions new users have had. What would you want to find in a publication?

bl42

Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
McAllen TX
thanks! soooo..what brought you to making the decision to switch?

I found it is just better, Alot of people come up to me and ask about me quiting, but the reality is I dont really see my self as an ex-smoker i felt like i have upgraded to a better experience.

Better taste, no smell etc... that plus im a geek who likes toys. Fun to tinker around with...

DJ RyckRak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2013
Somewhere in New England
Hi peachy !!!
(I like that handle: I'm vapping peach right now).

Well here you have a 55 y/o male, former 40 plus year,2 PAD 'burro' smoker. I haven't loved smoking for a long time, but the addiction to smoking was an impossible bond to break- so I thought. I tried most everything- patches, gum, hypnotism...but after forty years of habit and ritual, I pretty much gave up trying to quit.

I had seen these e cigs in Florida a couple of years ago- my sister's partner was trying them...they looked like a fake cig, with bad taste and not much vapor..looked like a toy to me- no interest.

December 2012, poor breathing, losing circulation in my legs and hands-( I knew that because my hands and feet would freeze at the slightest cold, my legs felt like they were made of lead and my toes would tingle and ache at night, they hurt.) This was not normal, I have always been a strong person, a woods walker... I knew what it was- and it was not good !

So I started researching Vapping, came to ECF and lurked for a few weeks. Picked up some good info and decided that it just might be possible to stop smoking and start vapping- if I had a good PV system, some good ejuice and was able to teach my body that I was not going to deprive it of the Nicotene that it needed. I knew that the smoking 'ritual' is a large component of our habit, so vapping Nicotene is not as dramatic a change in my mind, as we're patches, and gum and pills.

I received my Ego-C starter kit in the mail on January 4 th, 2013. I assembled it and filled it with ejuice and started vapping. I vapped like a fool that evening, and didn't have the desire to go outside and smoke.

Saturday morning, I took the dog out- cup of coffee in hand, pack of cigs in the pocket (ritual)- but I was already vapping. Took out a cig and lit it, took a drag- it didn't taste good, not as good as my coffee and 'coffee' ejuice. Took another drag- and put it out. I took a long vape to clean my mouth out of the cig taste. I could smell the cig on my fingers- the smell and the taste of my old companions was bad. The taste of my coffee, and my 'coffee' vape had won out.....I was now a Vapor !

In the weeks since, I have not had the craving of a 'burro'. I can smell- my real sense of taste is coming back slowly. The coating on my tongue is fading away. I am breathing much better and more deeply and sleeping better and best of all, the pain and heaviness in my legs and feet is GONE ! -Can I say how elated I am !!!
I know I have saved myself with Vapping !

That's my story- and I wish the Best to You !

Last edited:

Hudson791

Jan 16, 2013
Glasgow
DJ - I almost cried reading that story - very well done!!!

As for the ebook the most important thing is a glossary to let all us noobs understand what the vets are talking about.

Also I would like to see a plain english explanation of the differences between all the different types of e-cig batteries and vape attachments. explaining how to use variable voltage, the difference between a tank without wicks and one with.

Just a few ideas!

thepeachymom

Mar 3, 2010
The Colony, Tx
This is great! I love the personal stories. All advice is greatly appreciated. I agree that getting a simplified explanation for some of the things the vets are talking about would be very helpful. That will be a lot of the focus for the book.
I truly want to help people discover the awesome alternative. Before discovering the e-cig, I saw myself as being one of those hard care smokers that had an oxygen tube under my nose and still firing up a stick of tobacco. Now I am so happy to be vaping that I want to share it with the world!
Keep it coming folks!

Hi! This is my second attempt at vaping. I really just have to get rid of the cigs. It has been more and more difficult to breath and I hate getting a cold. My entire family will get sick, too. However, they are long recovered and I am still coughing, sneezing and miserable for so many more weeks than they. Not that I want them to continue to suffer. I would just like to have mine go away, too. enough is enough.

I tried before. But --to tell you the truth--the difference is I had never found this forum before. It is so helpful to see others have gone through and are going through this at the same time. I am not alone. Everyone here is always so nice and helpful. It has been a great help.

I am not completely off the analogs. Still feel that I need them once and a while. But I am moving toward a plan. I feel that it will get easier and easier the more I learn. I think a book like yours will be a very helpful resource, too.

Thanks for the book idea--I will still be first in line---and thanks to all the fellow vapers out there. So glad I found you.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
There were two guys here some time back who had put together a fantastic series of post called the Wonderful World of Vaping. It was a six part series. Some of that information is now dated because innovation in the vaping market has reached fever pitch. It's a good idea I suppose but you'll need to be aware of the changing market. What we once recommended to newbs is no longer what we'd recommend to them now.

Platemail

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2013
Vamo, Florida
One thing I did to help me make the switch to vaping, I would take my e-cig with me everywhere and for instance - on a break at work, I would head outside and sit on the bench near our building and have a couple cigarettes. So after making the switch to vaping, I would go out there and sit down and vape. The urge of smoking was so strong - especially sitting amoung smokers. I just vaped and carried on, pushing the urges back and replacing them with vaping. After a meal out with friends/family I would usually excuse myself to go have a smoke, I still excused myself and went outside and vaped. I was mentally training myself that vaping was replacing cigarettes. This technique seemed to work for me because after awhile I didn't want to go outside, because I realized how silly it was to in fact, excuse myself from a group to go outside and harm myself. I kicked the habit of smoking. By replacing smoking with vaping I went against the grain and made myself apparent that there was an alternative to the cigarettes, without depriving myself of the rituals It was all uphill from there!

NeilSwift

Moved On
Jan 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I would like to see a list of the chemicals that tobacco contains in the book, there's a chapter right there.

Then what are in e-liquids.

Testimonials of vapers. DJ's was a fantastic read. Maybe a few more across the age groups who now vape.

Gotta be a chapter on legislation.

Maybe a chapter on the health side. Personally I have massively regained smell and taste, my skin looks and feels healthier, I no longer cough at all, I feel more energetic and my legs don't ache of an evening.

I had it relatively easy. No big story. Never heard of e-cigs until a workmate let me have a go on his. Bought one the next day and never looked back.

I think long term and still want to be telling my 9 and 13 year old boys off well into their 40's.

thepeachymom

Mar 3, 2010
The Colony, Tx
Again... THANK YOU! The ideas are all very good. I have in my outline a chapter on legislation. It has been something that concerns me, so I feel it is important to share.
Also, being tuned in to what is the latest best thing will be in my chapter on finding resources for help. This forum will be top of the list.
Keep it coming folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread