Dec 29, 2015
indonesia
i got this problem in my velocity

build:
26 gauge nichrome80 - 10 wraps - dual coil - 3mm diameter
OR
24 gauge nichrome80 - 7 wraps - dual coil - 3mm diameter
using cotton bacon v2 / cellucotton

the problem started just recently, maybe my last 3 or 4 buiild..
i've used this kind of build like forever, never had any problem before
still using the same wire from the very same brand

when i build it, i always make sure they glow evenly
then i wick it...drop some juice...prime it couple times...
they do good for couple vapes, and then suddenly i keep getting this burn taste..

when i check my coil, one of them glow in the middle, i mean really glowing red hot
my wick are not too tight, not too loose
and what odd is that my wick are wet, really really wet and saturated
when i pulled my wick, it's still got so many juice in the center, not even a touch to dry
the cotton not even burned or charred..
so i guess those burn taste is from the coil burned...

either i used the 26gauge or 24gauge, always got the same problem..
never happened to me before
it's the same wire, from the very same roll
because i bought the 250ft pack,..

i wonder what cause this, because it's never happened before, just this last few weeks...

i've tried many ways of wicking it, also tried to pull the coil up, wiggle it, anything...

the problem is, it's glow evenly when i tested it without wick
and it's always delivered a good and flavourfull vape for the first couple hit
then things start goes bad when the burn taste comes up..

*note: it's shows no problem when i build it using fused clapton or twisted wire (all nichrome80 strand)

please share here how to solve this, because i love my boring build
the clapton and twisted wire just not up to my speed...
thanks in advance...

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
i got this problem in my velocity

build:
26 gauge nichrome80 - 10 wraps - dual coil - 3mm diameter
OR
24 gauge nichrome80 - 7 wraps - dual coil - 3mm diameter
using cotton bacon v2 / cellucotton

the problem started just recently, maybe my last 3 or 4 buiild..
i've used this kind of build like forever, never had any problem before
still using the same wire from the very same brand

when i build it, i always make sure they glow evenly
then i wick it...drop some juice...prime it couple times...
they do good for couple vapes, and then suddenly i keep getting this burn taste..

when i check my coil, one of them glow in the middle, i mean really glowing red hot
my wick are not too tight, not too loose
and what odd is that my wick are wet, really really wet and saturated
when i pulled my wick, it's still got so many juice in the center, not even a touch to dry
the cotton not even burned or charred..
so i guess those burn taste is from the coil burned...

either i used the 26gauge or 24gauge, always got the same problem..
never happened to me before
it's the same wire, from the very same roll
because i bought the 250ft pack,..

i wonder what cause this, because it's never happened before, just this last few weeks...

i've tried many ways of wicking it, also tried to pull the coil up, wiggle it, anything...

the problem is, it's glow evenly when i tested it without wick
and it's always delivered a good and flavourfull vape for the first couple hit
then things start goes bad when the burn taste comes up..

*note: it's shows no problem when i build it using fused clapton or twisted wire (all nichrome80 strand)

please share here how to solve this, because i love my boring build
the clapton and twisted wire just not up to my speed...
thanks in advance...

Hi mate,
You didn't mention what device you are using...
So I'm gonna roll the bones and guess that you need to turn the watts down a bit.
What are you using to power your builds?

cheers
I

Reactions: defdock

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
It sounds like your not using a fluffy enough wick, depending on materials some "sag" with heat expecially with larger diameter coils. From the info given, it seems to be literaly an air gap/pocket between the coil and wicking.

Only other cause that sounds plausible is the coil may need to be more secure. I've had times with a few rdas, I can build a coil and have it read/act fine but after some use, the heat expands and contracts causing the screws to loosen enough to not have a solid connection causing hot spots/hot legs. Even once had a coil burn thru the legs due to uneven connection.

andreariana

Dec 29, 2015
indonesia
What wattage/voltage are you firing at? Are you sure the wicking is able to keep up with the temperatures?

im firing it at 50-60watt..
the wick was keep up okay back then..
this problem just surfaced on my last 3-4 build

Hi mate,
You didn't mention what device you are using...
So I'm gonna roll the bones and guess that you need to turn the watts down a bit.
What are you using to power your builds?

cheers
I

im using ipv4s and boxer mod sx for all of my dual coil rda
for my kayfun i used single batt mod (invader mini v2, vtc mini v2)

i've also tried on my friend's reuleaux dna200, the problem appear to be surfaced no matter on what mod yo use

It sounds like your not using a fluffy enough wick, depending on materials some "sag" with heat expecially with larger diameter coils. From the info given, it seems to be literaly an air gap/pocket between the coil and wicking.

Only other cause that sounds plausible is the coil may need to be more secure. I've had times with a few rdas, I can build a coil and have it read/act fine but after some use, the heat expands and contracts causing the screws to loosen enough to not have a solid connection causing hot spots/hot legs. Even once had a coil burn thru the legs due to uneven connection.

i've screw the grub screw very tightly..
the wicking method i used is just like usual, it was okay back then, just in this last 3-4 build it keep getting hotspot...

in my mad hatter v2 and magma reborn never had the issue..
i love the flavour this vleocity put out, the airflow just perfect, the flavour really on point...
i'm not ready yet to retired my velocity, but with this issue...i dont know :(

andreariana

Dec 29, 2015
indonesia
Can you get a picture up of the build?

Knowing the velocity posts are quite far apart, one more question. Are the coil legs long, or is one longer than the other? This can cause hotspots as well

it already washed and cleaned up, so it no longer had any coil inside.
the velocity now just sit in my atomizer stand, haven't been using them in this last few days because the issue i had.

It sounds like you either have uneven coil wraps or uneven wick.
If you have a gap between a coil wrap and your wick then yes it will glow.

i used cotton bacon v2 on daily basis, i usually take a small strip and cut them in two to be used in my dual coil build, so the amount of cotton the should be just about the same isn't it?

it's not just happen with my 1 build, i'v tried 3-4 new build, the result is still still the same..
and the one side of the build that glow is also always the same side, never the other side..
it was never happen before...

now i just use my mad hatter v2 and magma reborn on daily basis..
and still wait for geekvape tsunami rda, hope the tsunami would be a perfect substitute for the velocity which i loved since day 1

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
When I see that happen it's usually because one of the coils is sitting slightly higher than the others. That happens while you are screwing the legs to the posts or inserting them into the holes. There can be an unwinding effect as you position the ends in place to tighten them. That usually happens on the outside coils in my experience, but inside coils can be turned depending on how you handle it while installing it.

A little more wicking inside the coil can make up for variance. Too much and the coil gets starved, though. Torching the wire helps make it behave and for me that helps to make better coils that don't try to unwind while I'm working it into the deck. Torching removes the spring effect and makes the wire stay where you put it.

Reactions: defdock

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
:nun:R.I.P your Velocity.

here is a nice wick vid that works well with hot builds, i just thought i would post it incase you decide to try again and maybe you could wick the same and let us know :)

I watch those guys blow VG vapor plumes and I have to wonder what it does to lungs over time. Every cloud blower I've asked says there's no effect on their lungs. Go figure. I'm one that experiences a little lung heaviness when I vape too much VG. 80/20 PG/VG has little effect on me. 90PG/10VG is a little harsh, though. I tend to live somewhere in the middle. I can do 60p/40v just fine.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I watch those guys blow VG vapor plumes and I have to wonder what it does to lungs over time. Every cloud blower I've asked says there's no effect on their lungs. Go figure. I'm one that experiences a little lung heaviness when I vape too much VG. 80/20 PG/VG has little effect on me. 90PG/10VG is a little harsh, though. I tend to live somewhere in the middle. I can do 60p/40v just fine.

I've experienced heavy lungs and/or breathlessness a few times.. followed by a whitey :eek: o_O it happened because i was trying to take pic's of my cloudage... but in general i dont think the heaviness is a good thing, how can it when the feeling of someone stood on your chest is stopping you from inhaling air.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've experienced heavy lungs and/or breathlessness a few times.. followed by a whitey :eek: o_O it happened because i was trying to take pic's of my cloudage... but in general i dont think the heaviness is a good thing, how can it when the feeling of someone stood on your chest is stopping you from inhaling air.

I get a sense of lowered oxygen levels that makes me want to take deep breaths if I use really high concentration VG juice. I routinely check my O2 levels while riding my exercise bike and I stay mostly around 98% O-Sat during a 6 mile ride at 70-80% resistance, so I know it's the VG and not a lung condition in my case. For that reason, I vape juices with higher PG content and no more than 40% VG.

Vegetable Glycerin is commonly used in stage shows and movie sets to make fog. The EPA and OSHA both have limits on daily exposure to employees who are exposed to it. Sure, government sometimes goes overboard, but it's at least an indication that limiting exposure in ecig juice is a good idea.

OTOH, there was a scientific test with lab rats who lived in a PG fog for two years just to see what problems might develop. According to the after autopsy reports of the rats vs rats who lived in room air, the PG group of rats were healthier and had no damage to organs. For that reason, I like a little VG with my mix, but I lean toward 80pg/20vg down to 60pg/40vg. I'm good at those levels.

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I get a sense of lowered oxygen levels that makes me want to take deep breaths if I use really high concentration high VG juice. I routinely check my O2 levels while riding my exercise bike and I stay mostly around 98% O-Sat during a 6 mile ride at 70-80% resistance, so I know it's the VG and not a lung condition in my case. For that reason, I vape juices with higher PG content.

Vegetable Glycerin is commonly used in stage shows and movie sets to make fog. The EPA and OSHA both have limits on daily exposure to employees who are exposed to it. Sure, government sometimes goes overboard, but it's at least an indication that limiting exposure in ecig juice is a good idea.

OTOH, there was a scientific test with lab rats who lived in a PG fog for two years just to see what problems might develop. According to the after autopsy reports of the rats vs rats who lived in room air, the PG group of rats were healthier and had no damage to organs. For that reason, I like a little VG with my mix, but I lean toward 80pg/20vg down to 60pg/40vg. I'm good at those levels.

Here's a CDC study on PG exposure.
www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp189-c2.pdf

Thankyou for posting that DaveP, wether it was you or someone else but i kind of caught a half glimpse at a convo on here somewhere where i saw this mentioned but i remember thinking that somebody must have made a typo, my latest batch of juice is going to have the vg cut drastically.
Thanks again my friend :)

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thankyou for posting that DaveP, wether it was you or someone else but i kind of caught a half glimpse at a convo on here somewhere where i saw this mentioned but i remember thinking that somebody must have made a typo, my latest batch of juice is going to have the vg cut drastically.
Thanks again my friend :)

At the risk of being off topic, here's a link to an article reference about a 1942 lab test with the rats in PG/air mix.

Propylene Glycol Study

And, an ECF link to a discussion about heavy lung feeling with high VG mixes.
100% VG Side Effects Hypothesis

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I mostly do tight wrapped coils and sometimes the coils can be to tight which creates certain wraps to glow brighter. If you install a coil and find it having a Hotspot, try just ever so slightly separating them. The coil will still be tight and that Hotspot should go away.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread