Help, Jury Duty-US District Court Richmond, VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I have to call in every day for the next two weeks to see if I get called for Jury Duty. The courthouse will not allow any electronics, no cellphone, no iPod, and....no ecig! :ohmy: I actually said to the very kind and understanding woman who took my call inquiring about ecigs "No NICOTINE!?" Scared the crap out of me! She said no battery, no liquid.
All I can think of to do, is to bring a disposable to see if they will let me bring that. I will probably be taking public transportation (parking is so expensive and I would pay it out of pocket and then wait for reimbursement--they won't validate parking!), so I can't keep it in my car. They warned me that my ecig could be confiscated by the guards, or they can refuse me entry! At least if it's a disposable, I would only be out about $10 which is what it would cost to buy a Blu.
Any suggestions? Anyone here familiar with this court? I don't know of any vapers in the Richmond area, but perhaps there is one here @ ECF? Anyone from Vapors Lounge maybe??

Thanks!

All the local county courthouses that I go to regularly in the area (about 13 different county courthouses) allow PV's as I have taken them through security in every one of them. The US district court does not allow cellphones, so I have stopped taking any electronics the few times I go there. I will try it the next time I have to go to the US district court. But you are probably right about that. It has nothing to do with it being a PV, but just because it is electronic.

I have told the security people at the US district court that the reason they don't allow any camera phones is because they don't want people to record the "beatings". Some laugh, some give me that look that says: "you're getting close to a beating", lol.

You might want to try snus.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
In the current Jodi Arias trial, trial watchers have blogged about a juror who 'smokes the electronic cigarettes'
Not sure about your locations, but its been allowed in AZ.

Also, Im positive that courts see more people with electronics under every circumstance. Courts are usually on a bus line in cities and therefore should at least give those on juries the opportunity to pay a few cents for a locker or something.

That is a county/state court house. That's the difference.

lissa5168

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
East TN
I'm currently doing federal jury duty as well. In Knoxville, you can have NO electronics inside the building. Not even a Kindle although u can have a paged book. (Only medically necessary things like inhalers, diabetic testing equipment, neural stimulator controllers, etc are allowed in.). You CAN leave them in a shelved area with numbered slots, but the court won't watch them nor be responsible for them. No food or drink neither. I just leave my purse in my trunk in the parking garage and only take in my ID, keys, and a little cash.

Federal court pays mileage to and from court and an automatic $10 per day parking fee whether or not your actual parking is that high or if you even drive. At that rate, I'd drive instead of taking the bus and keep my ecig in the glove box or something. My parking garage is a block from the courthouse so I just run down there quick on my lunch. The exercise is good for me. We also have a lot of bushes, so I suppose I COULD try to stash a cheapie cigalike in there lol.

Sent by my super-secret messenger owl using Tapatalk 2

Litta'sGabby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Sandston, Virginia, United States
LOL, I have definitely thought of stashing a cigalike in the bushes! I really have! I am "hoping" to buy a new car tomorrow, if they can get the payments where we want them. Now to decide, if I am called for a jury on Tuesday, do I drive the new car so I can vape, and risk it getting *gasp* dinged in a parking garage, or leave my new car and vapes at home and take the bus?! :(

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
I still think it's funny people actually show up to jury duty.

I like jury duty. Work pays me, the state pays me, I do way less than when I am at work. I just left my pv in the car last time and visited it just like a smoker would. I likely could have brought it in the courthouse, I brought in a cell phone and kindle, I wouldn't have been able to bring it in the actual court room.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I like jury duty. Work pays me, the state pays me, I do way less than when I am at work. I just left my pv in the car last time and visited it just like a smoker would. I likely could have brought it in the courthouse, I brought in a cell phone and kindle, I wouldn't have been able to bring it in the actual court room.

What a drag you can't take an e-cig in with you. I just did jury duty here and I actually saw disposable e-cigs for sale on a rack in the cafeteria!

In most county & state courthouses, you can bring your PV in with you. I vape in county and state courthouses all the time. It is only federal courthouses where there is an issue. And it's not because it is a PV, it's anything "electronic" that is banned, including cell phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread