Help me explain vaping please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

atsirk

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2010
Lake Oswego, Oregon
So my roommate moved out and I'm trying find a new person to rent my guest room. One person responded very positively to my ad, but her last question was "What does "vape" mean? Please explain, as I can only live in a smoke-free environment. Thanks". I state in my ad that there is no smoking indoors, but that "I vape".

This was my response - re: vaping:
"I'd like to answer your question about vaping. It is a term recently coined for a nicotine replacement system. I quit smoking in September of last year - I had tried the patch, gum, etc., but those did not work for me. This worked - I have not smoked a single cigarette since. There is no smoke involved, as there is no fire, nothing burns. It is a simple battery connected to an atomizer. A couple "juice" drops go into the atomizer, and when activated it warms the liquid and is inhaled. There is a water vapor on exhale which mimics the appearance of smoke, but there is nothing harmful in it. The juice I use is made up of USP vegetable glycerin, a very small amount of purified nicotine, and organic extracts to give it a bit of flavor. I tend to use vanilla or butterscotch/caramel flavors, and it helps curb my sweet tooth. Many people vape with zero nicotine. I've reduced my nicotine concentration 4 times, and the next lowest step is zero. There is no harmful "second-hand" smoke, as there is no smoke. Nicotine, when it is used this way, is just a stimulant, like coffee. There are a lot of other chemicals (harmful ones) in cigarettes that are equally as addictive as nicotine, and the other aspects of smoking are so nasty - the smell, 2nd-hand smoke, expense, and of course, the harm to one's lungs and overall health.

There's a lot more info on the subject, but that's the basics. I understand if this turns you off - it is a shared space, and you have to make a decision that works for you. My last renter was a nurse, and it never bothered her at all, she even recommended it to smokers she treated. There was one juice I tried that she really liked, she said it smelled like a vanilla candle - but the flavor of that one was too strong for me - probably why she could smell it. Any more questions happily answered".

What do you think? Can anyone suggest better wording so I can explain it better in the future? I'd really like to get your feedback! TIA

Sallana

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
the North Pole
www.lynnekirsch.com
I think it's very well explained, but for someone who doesn't smoke or have any idea what an e-cigarette is, it might be a tad verbose. I would use a summary of that:

'Vaping' is a word coined to describe the use of an Electronic Cigarette. Electronic Cigarettes are a nicotine delivery system created to help people kick the habit. It's components consist of a battery, a heating element and a liquid nicotine substitute. When combined, the battery powers the heating element, which heats the liquid and turns it into a harmless vapor which is inhaled by the user. It mimics the look and feel of a cigarette without the harmful after affects and also does not produce second hand smoke. There is a light odor but it can be related to that of incense, it is not unpleasant nor does it "stick" to walls, clothes or furniture. It is 100% harmless to those in the vicinity of one using the device. I absolutely assure you that there is no burning or smoke involved.

And if it were me, which it's not :p - I might add something like this:

If the thought of being around this bothers you, I will happily keep it to my room and my room only. Since the vapor evaporates immediately upon exhale, I can assure you that it will not affect any other rooms in the house.

Last edited:

Sallana

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
the North Pole
www.lynnekirsch.com
That's a good point, Dark. My sons speech therapist finally admitted to me that she hates doing therapy in the living room (As opposed to my sons bedroom) because of the Glade Plug-Ins! I felt so bad :( She's been with us for a year! Some people can't stand air fresheners or incense. So good call.

daisyd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Az
Ditto on the inscense. I still have the ones we were given at our wedding 10 years ago. Haven't been touched. I would avoid things like "juice". The more technical you can make it, the more it will sound like a medical device (we all know it's not, but to a layman it might make more sense that way). I think the scented candle *might* be the best way to describe it. I can't go down the scented candle isle in a store, but one in a house is quite pleasant.

atsirk

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2010
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Sounds great~! The only thing...just vapor, not water vapor. There's really no water in the juice.

Good call on that - thanks!

I think it's very well explained, but for someone who doesn't smoke or have any idea what an e-cigarette is, it might be a tad verbose. I would use a summary of that:

'Vaping' is a word coined to describe the use of an Electronic Cigarette. Electronic Cigarettes are a nicotine delivery system created to help people kick the habit. It's components consist of a battery, a heating element and a liquid nicotine substitute. When combined, the battery powers the heating element, which heats the liquid and turns it into a harmless vapor which is inhaled by the user. It mimics the look and feel of a cigarette without the harmful after affects and also does not produce second hand smoke. There is a light odor but it can be related to that of incense, it is not unpleasant nor does it "stick" to walls, clothes or furniture. It is 100% harmless to those in the vicinity of one using the device. I absolutely assure you that there is no burning or smoke involved.

And if it were me, which it's not :p - I might add something like this:

If the thought of being around this bothers you, I will happily keep it to my room and my room only. Since the vapor evaporates immediately upon exhale, I can assure you that it will not affect any other rooms in the house.

That sounds great, and I'll use some of this, but I'm staying away from calling it an e-cigarette - too much bad press right now, and I'd rather they got the truth than the lies lol. And I like the addition about keeping it in my room! Thanks :)

PA( the main ingredient ) is the same thing used is smoke or fog machines,,, if that helps explain what it is....

Yep, I should add that, thanks!

I'd remove the part Sallana reworded about incense. I detest incense and am allergic to most forms. I think because it actually bunrs. Heck I can't be around many of those reed diffusers. (wonder how the heck I managed to smoke for half my life lol)

Absolutely - I am very sensitive to strong odors, and can't even be in a house with burning incense. I don't use perfumed soaps or any kind of air fresheners either - I too wonder how the heck I smoked! I have to hold me breath in the soaps and candle isles when shopping, and my home group meeting is a "no cologne or perfume" meeting. Wow, do I sound persnickety! (sp?)

Thanks everybody for the great advice! This is all good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread