Help me get off sub-ohming

Status
Not open for further replies.

shnnn

Sep 10, 2014
Bklyn and Nola
Hey y’all,
I’ve been vaping MTL using a sub-ohm device for a few years now, and am looking to make a change.
My usual set-up is a either a cleito tank or a silo beast tank and a Eleaf 200w PV. I usually use .5 coils and vape at around 34 Watts with the airflow screwed down pretty tight.

Lately it’s been hard on my lungs to vape this way, and I race through juice, but when I try to go back to my old low-wattage aspire tanks, the flavor and vapor production feel so weak.

I haven’t been keeping up with all the new styles and devices, so i’m hoping for recommendations.

I like to keep it simple and prefer large tanks, pre-built coils, and built-in batteries as opposed to full mods.

Any pointers would be appreciated. My silo beast tank is actually still going strong, but my PV has been dropped tons of times and is really due for replacement.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I sub-ohm and mtl also with different setups for both ways of vaping. When I mtl I use the "old Aspire low wattage" tanks. A key reason that those tanks work for me is because I raised the level of nic to 24mg. Therefore I would recommend to try and pull out one of these tanks if you still have one and put a higher level nic than you have been using in them. They shouldn't feel weak once you get the necessary nic level. You'll save a tremendous amount on both battery life and juice. I hope this helps you. Good luck.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I never understood the subohm thing. I always use a single coil bottom airflow atty with a coil built on 3mm with 6 to 7 wraps of 28 to 26g kanthal on a mech and it throws nice wet flavor. When ever I try something with a prebuilt coil, it's too dry.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
It's certainly nice to have options because there are many smokers who most likely would not have quit if there were just mtl options and visa versa. I'm strictly a mtl vapor and like you, I find dtl strange. Why do people have this fascination of seeing clouds of vapor ? I guess you can dtl and obtain small clouds like mtl, but most I see suck in till their eyes bulge and blow out massive amounts of vapor. It sounds weird and looks even more weird. It's like there in love with the vapor and don't realize it's not really a good thing. Yes it's much Healthier then cigs, but it's still not really good for you...to me it's like seeing who can puke the biggest pile after drinking alcohol. I'm not sure if there is another unhealthy addiction besides vaping where people are proud to visually show off their efforts. Vaping has saved my life and I do love it, but the important thing , which ever way you vape, is that you are indeed vaping and not smoking and if you can only vape dtl, it's still a much better choice
I never understood the subohm thing. I always use a single coil bottom airflow atty with a coil built on 3mm with 6 to 7 wraps of 28 to 26g kanthal on a mech and it throws nice wet flavor. When ever I try something with a prebuilt coil, it's too dry.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
Isn't that subohm

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I understand , in that dtl is just a type of draw and on occasions I find myself taking a dtl vape on my mtl set up. I guess I was talking more about those cloud competions
I don't care about clouds. I dl for the draw, mtl was a miserable experience for me.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Isn't that subohm
On the high end it's not.
7 wraps of 28 gauge on a 3mm mandrel should be about 1.5 ohms

On the low end it might be, but just barely:
6 wraps of 26 gauge on a 3mm mandrel should be around 0.9 ohms.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I get the cloud comps even if I have no desire to participate. It is fun for them and it isn't just about the cloud. It has more to do with how you get the cloud. Vaping related hobbies are no different than any other hobbies. I like to drive fast but do not want to drive faster in circles for hours.

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
On the high end it's not.
7 wraps of 28 gauge on a 3mm mandrel should be about 1.5 ohms

On the low end it might be, but just barely:
6 wraps of 26 gauge on a 3mm mandrel should be around 0.9 ohms.
I found it hard not to subohm. I like 22 gauge and I need like 16 wraps for a single coil to get to 1.0.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Subohm was just a phase for me. I built the nasty builds but eventually reverted back to 1.4Ω+ coils. The yuppies are after cloudz, cloudz, cloudz so max VG and subohm gets the job done...very expensively buying commercial juices. The toll on batteries and massive consumption of juice wore out the subohm novelty.
I rebuild so the drop in coils I have barely used a handful in my 5 years of rebuilding so recommending a atty I can't do. Kanger subtank using the RBA is our atty of choice since they first came out. Upping the Nic some can compensate for the less vapor with higher ohm coils but after time and the body gets use to less nic so lowering the nic will eventually happen.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Vaping on a sub ohm build does not equal cloud chasing. My builds are in the .43-.3 range and I rarely vape over 30w. My uncle blows bigger clouds than I do with his Nauti 1.8 coil.
I agree. It doesn't necessarily equate to DL vaping either, but lots of people conflate the terms. I'm very much MTl (and there's a reason the 'l' is lower-case), but I haven't used a coil over 1 ohm in roughly 4 years now.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I agree. It doesn't necessarily equate to DL vaping either, but lots of people conflate the terms. I'm very much MTl (and there's a reason the 'l' is lower-case), but I haven't used a coil over 1 ohm in roughly 4 years now.
What irks me is we vaper's as a whole resent being labeled yet regularly label each other here on ECF.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
A bigger cloud means more vapor. More vapor means more flavor, but the vapor to flavor volume relationship increases at a decreasing rate. Everyone has their own sweet spot.

I did MTL vaping and dual used with tobacco for years. I didn't quit smoking until I discovered DTL. A flavor explosion and lungs full of chunky vapor came with going from 14-15 Watts to 35-45. That took the place of throat hit, and I was done smoking.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
What irks me is we vaper's as a whole resent being labeled yet regularly label each other here on ECF.
There are puffers and there are huffers and there's everything in between. :)

To each their own vape. The fact that it's so customizable is part of what makes it work.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
There are puffers and there are huffers and there's everything in between. :)

To each their own vape. The fact that it's so customizable is part of what makes it work.
I know I need to choose to not let the labeling irritate me. Big sigh and and going back to my zen place.:lol:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I get the cloud comps even if I have no desire to participate. It is fun for them and it isn't just about the cloud. It has more to do with how you get the cloud. Vaping related hobbies are no different than any other hobbies. I like to drive fast but do not want to drive faster in circles for hours.
Stats show the IQ's of people are getting lower and lower, I wonder why.? Because people actually waste their time watching something like that and thinking it's something they might want to do....next there will be liquid eye squirting comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread