Help me help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

captiancd89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Boston, MA
Ive been using ecigarettes for around 2 years now on and off. Ive had so much trouble being around people who smoke. Especially at college where its a way for me to meet new people and connect. Last night i woke up choking on that gross flem that you get when you know you have smoked too many butts.

Im done smoking, i cant do it any longer. I saw so much improvement when i was off them and using my ecigarette.

Now here comes the tricky part

One of my best friends is a smoker, I have been trying to get him in to e-cigarettes for around 2 months now, he loves using mine and he wants to try to make the jump. He has no money to speak of. Many of us college kids dont. I have put aside 10$ a week trying to save up for a e cig for him.

I have 30$ and I REALLY want to get him started on a device that will keep him off smoking for good. Im not sure what to pick out for him.:confused: Any suggestions? I know 30$ isnt that much but its honestly the best i can do for him :facepalm:

Thanks for your time hopfully I can find somthing cheap enough to help him out!

captiancd89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Boston, MA
I bet theres something in the classifieds..A brand new Riva at liberty flights isnt much over 30 I dont think..Do you have juice you can share with him?

yes I have juice i can give him. I just need the name of a good 3.7v device that will actually keep him off the butts

jackoboy82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
Wrexham, UK
First off i dont have extra money lieing around, i pay for everything in my life, car, school, loans. And im 21 years old working a full time job.

Secondly i havent bought a pack of cigarettes in well over a year, all my friends smoke and dont mind giving me cigarettes.

also at the start people don't know if they can quit smoking. setting yourself up with a decent e-cig and supplies will cost way in excess of what you would pay on cigs. so alot of people want to start off cheap to see if it helps. just like with gum or patches, there's a lot of bull.... selling out there and people are cautious to spend so much money on something they do not yet know will work, where as the $6 a day pack of analogs has a known success rate. most people when they start smoking get to try various brands for free............friends giving you one to try etc. eventually you find one that you like and stick to that brand. with e-cigs you may not find the one you like straight off, finding your perfect set-up can be costly at the start. my recommendation would be to save up a little more and start your friend off on a tank atty. or alternatively buy 1 battery and 1 tank atty, a 5 pack of tank carts and some juice. but a good start would be with a riva 510 imo with a cartomizer :)

Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - Riva 510 as videoequus said there is a Riva lite kit at an awesome value. 29.99 with the 20% off at liberty flights. You just cant beat the price, and its an awesome unit, great battery life. The shipping is only around 2 dollars I think. It would do your friend very well.

videoequus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2011
Graham,Wa
Hey everyone(Jack and Yeti).. OP said explicitly he was trying to help a friend... Odd you would come off with those statements.... ESPECIALLY someone trying to help someone else get off cigs.. :(
AND he pointed out they are college kids..
Back to you Capt.. The Riva at Liberty flights is really I would think the best bang for your buck... It actually is a little higher voltage then the ego.. I have both and I highly recommend the Riva and I love that if you have any problem you can call Liberty Flights.. I had a problem with a charger once I called and they had a new one in the mail that day...Customer service there is A plus,and you earn a bit of credit doing reviews on your purchases..
I also suggest you go to the pay it forward thread and maybe email a mod they can be of help too.. Try Bianca..

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
Liberty Flights
at checkout Use discount code ECF

That discount brings the Riva 510 Set to $29.99
Your entire order ships for just $2.99, via priority mail.
Yes, you get Delivery Confirmation number.

Excellent Customer Service (in the event you should need it)

Don't forget to grab some juice - you'll need it.

Hope this helps,
Happy Vaping,
Paula

Chefanim

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Panama City, FL
Hey everyone(Jack and Yeti).. OP said explicitly he was trying to help a friend... Odd you would come off with those statements.... ESPECIALLY someone trying to help someone else get off cigs.. :(
AND he pointed out they are college kids..
Back to you Capt.. The Riva at Liberty flights is really I would think the best bang for your buck... It actually is a little higher voltage then the ego.. I have both and I highly recommend the Riva and I love that if you have any problem you can call Liberty Flights.. I had a problem with a charger once I called and they had a new one in the mail that day...Customer service there is A plus,and you earn a bit of credit doing reviews on your purchases..
I also suggest you go to the pay it forward thread and maybe email a mod they can be of help too.. Try Bianca..

Dont get me wrong, I think helping someone is wonderful.... I have gotten my dad, who has smoked since before I was born to completely quit analogs and only use a PV. So Ill use him as an example... He was a PAD smoker, buying them as most do, one pack at a time. He like most would go to the nearest gas station to get his cigs... while there he would get his pack, and usually a soda, and a pack of gum, spending about $10 a day at the gas station. My point here is that people dont tend to see the big picture, no one has a problem throwing $5 or $6 or $10 a day on these things, because that seems like a trivial amount of money at the time.

If your friend is a PAD smoker @ $6 a pack for 30 days, thats $180 a month. With a MUCH smaller one time investment, he could have Months worth of equipment and juice. (especially DIY stuff)

See, I was the same, I never bought my cigs by the carton... I knew it was cheaper that way, but I didnt like the idea of spending $40-$50 all at once.... but $5.... no problem. Now I have been vaping for 8 weeks, have spent probably close to $200 on equipment, But all in all, I have SAVED money.

jackoboy82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
Wrexham, UK
and that's a great story chef, just not everyone is as willing to risk spending more money on something that they dont know will work. say you got paid weekly and spent $6 a day on cigs = $42, and your budget was $42, now if you went out and bough a riva 510 at $30, some juice $12 = $42. cost exactly the same in this example (and it is just an example).............so what happens a) whilst you wait for it to be delivered b) if it doesnt work for you...........not everyone has spare money to throw at something they dont yet know will work..........when i started vaping I bought the cheapest e-cig i could find. it was rubbish! then i waited until pay day and bought a riva 510 and riva 901. from the off i cut down straight away, but still had days where i smoked more than others. point being is for some people it takes time to adjust and get the mind set right. I started smoking 20 years ago, it's a hard habit to kick..........after lots of money and trail and error i've found a system of vaping that works for me now...........but it took me time and money to get to that. but i totally get where you're coming from where people can quite easily throw money at analogs without a second thought. i'd quite happily spend hundreds on cigs but not pay for nice clothes or get a car running.

Ok true, its not much to invest when you think of the cost of a pad habit. However, for someone who struggles to make it to that next pack, yet continues smoking because they are so horribly addicted, do you think they can manage to quit smoking entirely for a week or two, only relying on bumming smokes, so they can afford to invest in a PV which they aren't sure will even work for them?? The OP's question was simple and straightforward. What can I get for 30 bucks that will help my friend quit. This is also entirely do-able. Especially since he can provide his friend with some juice. Problem solved. Not trying to be harsh, but the response just baffled me, and I found it very insensitive and uninformative. We are all here to help each other!!!

Last edited:

keyzygirl

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Key West,Fl.
I help people all the time,but the simple fact is they do better if they have to get off their .... invest some time and money and do it themselves.Half the battle is doing the research and finding the product that will work for you.I hate getting people started just to have them think that its a never ending supply and its free.I work hard for my money and I have 3 kids and bills to pay.If you want to vape,get off your .... and take the time and a few bucks and do it.Most people have money for cigs and fun.Spend it on an ecig instead.RANT OVER.

Oh,and the liberty flights deal is great advice.

Last edited:

captiancd89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Boston, MA
Thank you all so much, you guys really are a great community of people! i got several pms and im going to buy him a riva! looks like a great device. I have my faithful chuck that ive been using for a long time and love it. I hope this helps him as much as it has for me.

And i couldnt of done this without the ecf, you all have been so kind and helped me out so much over the past two years to get where i am. I still have a long way to go and i know i can do it with all of your support

Thanks so much,
Pete

You make a good point keyzygirl. All I was trying to say is that you can get a kit for $30, so its not really that hard to point the OP in the right direction rather than making assumptions about the friends circumstances. ECF is a great place to come for research and questions!!

LOL we all gotta rant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread