Help me pick a mech mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePulver

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2015
San Diego
After only ever using regulated mods I've been doing a ton of research over the past few months and I've finally decided to jump into the mech mod game. Currently I own a Tugboat, Aeolus v1, and Stumpy rdas along with a bunch of tanks. Full disclosure I'm looking for something pocketable and I do booze it up often enough that I've been leaning toward the following features:

1. 510 center pin (don't want to deal with hybrids mainly because I don't want to have to worry about constantly double checking my attys to make sure the center pin protrudes enough)
2. Locking ring (mainly for pocketing)
3. 18650 (Already own a handful of new Sony VTC4s)

Probably leaning towards a Stingray or the Phantom mod from Wotofo from what I've found, but I'd prefer something that looks closer to the smpl or 4nine (although not hybrid topcap like those)

So what mods do you guys love that fit those features and what mods have I missed in my research?

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
After only ever using regulated mods I've been doing a ton of research over the past few months and I've finally decided to jump into the mech mod game. Currently I own a Tugboat, Aeolus v1, and Stumpy rdas along with a bunch of tanks. Full disclosure I'm looking for something pocketable and I do booze it up often enough that I've been leaning toward the following features:

1. 510 center pin (don't want to deal with hybrids mainly because I don't want to have to worry about constantly double checking my attys to make sure the center pin protrudes enough)

Probably leaning towards a Stingray or the Phantom Mod from Wotofo from what I've found, but I'd prefer something that looks closer to the smpl or 4nine (although not hybrid topcap like those)

So what mods do you guys love that fit those features and what mods have I missed in my research?
Stingray X , it gives you flexibility as far as choice of batteries & it also gives you the benefits of copper without the need to constantly polish it . It also gives you the option of a direct to battery connection using the adapter if you wanna play with it later . Personally , I find the REO much more pocketable than a tube mech though .

ThePulver

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2015
San Diego
Stingray X , it gives you flexibility as far as choice of batteries & it also gives you the benefits of copper without the need to constantly polish it . It also gives you the option of a direct to battery connection using the adapter if you wanna play with it later . Personally , I find the REO much more pocketable than a tube mech though .

Thanks I've been leaning that direction!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

Probably leaning towards a Stingray or the Phantom Mod from Wotofo from what I've found, but I'd prefer something that looks closer to the smpl or 4nine (although not hybrid topcap like those)

1: 510 center pin.
All my mods fit that.
There are 2 types:
(a) adjustable centerpin, where there is a screw - usually 2 screws, and you back the screws out, screw your topper on, then screw the screws back in and that locks your topper snugly in place.
(b) floating centerpin, like the stingray and the astro.
My stingray has a loose centerpin and I worry that liquid could possibly leak down into the mod. My astro has a snug floating centerpin.

There are also the true hybrid rda's which screw on at the 20+mm level, not the 510 thread level which is about 5mm diameter.
Examples are the 3d rda on the nemesis or other m20x0.5 mod, and the elm rda on the treeoflife or similarly threaded mods.
There are also bigger sized truehybrid rda's.

2: locking ring;
I've never seen a bayonet type locking ring / mechanism yet (one twist and lock, or twist-push-twist to lock); I keep rolling my eyes wondering why.
But there are the top fired mechs like the 69:
1561100-2.jpg

It's forever temporarily sold out on fasttech.
or there's the poldiac, or the guppy.

Or there are the recessed buttons like on the GP Paps; but I found that one harder on the fingers

Reactions: ThePulver

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Why not get a parallel box? Most of them have a good 510, and if it goes bad, you can just replace it with a fatdaddy 510 connection. Very simple solutions with very little parts to worry about. & with a lot of mech boxes, you can get one with a voltage meter to know where your batteries are in terms of charge.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Stingray X works for me.. Dug it so much Ive got two now, probably getting a third to go with the extra Derringer I got due to an order getting screwed up.. I was scared of the hybrid caps at first but the Derringers are perfect for it.. The regular 510 cap is pretty rad though and only adds like 2mm to the height of the mod which is already pretty small.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread