Help me pick out a good box mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

curt6887

Jul 25, 2013
charleston, sc, usa
Hello everyone, I just started vaping and I am using a istick 50w which I like but makes me a little nervous about hearing the horror stories people have had with it. I want a mod that is safe and preferably something I can just plug in instead of having to take batteries out and charge the batteries but most of all a box mod that is safe and has no chance of randomly blowing up (something between 60-100watts and something I can put in my pocket). I have about 100$ I can throw down on something like this could someone please point me to a good safe box mod

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Just my two cents, but you can find horror stories about just about any device that's likely to fit those parameters. I know the iStick 50Ws have been particularly bad on this front but my point is that with enough searching, you could probably find a story about almost any of these non-removable battery types developing a serious issue. I like the ones with built-in batteries, too, but without the ability to take them out and the fact that many popular APVs are made in a country with different quality control standards, some problems are bound to arise.

I've been vaping for a really long time but only recently made a switch to VW instead of a mech and a VV device, so I'm probably not the best to give you advice on what to get but I still thought the above was worth mentioning. I wouldn't pretend to know what the numbers look like, but there have been a LOT of iStick 50Ws sold and most of those customers remain happy. That said, I have read about and understand the problems specific to the 50W and I don't blame you for feeling nervous and wanting to make a switch.

For what it's worth, I have a SmokTech Xpro M80 Plus and an iStick 30W, both of which have given me no problems yet and perform great for the price (I'm pretty broke). But to my point, I've definitely read some rough stories about the Xpro-- especially the early models-- so I just know I've got to keep an eye on it. While there's really no such thing as too much knowledge and/or information and safety should absolutely be your number one priority, it's also be easy to make yourself crazy sometimes.

That all said, again I totally get why you want to switch. I'm sure someone else will know where to point you.

curt6887

Jul 25, 2013
charleston, sc, usa
Just my two cents, but you can find horror stories about just about any device that's likely to fit those parameters. I know the iStick 50Ws have been particularly bad on this front but my point is that with enough searching, you could probably find a story about almost any of these non-removable battery types developing a serious issue. I like the ones with built-in batteries, too, but without the ability to take them out and the fact that many popular APVs are made in a country with different quality control standards, some problems are bound to arise.

I've been vaping for a really long time but only recently made a switch to VW instead of a mech and a VV device, so I'm probably not the best to give you advice on what to get but I still thought the above was worth mentioning. I wouldn't pretend to know what the numbers look like, but there have been a LOT of iStick 50Ws sold and most of those customers remain happy. That said, I have read about and understand the problems specific to the 50W and I don't blame you for feeling nervous and wanting to make a switch.

For what it's worth, I have a SmokTech Xpro M80 Plus and an iStick 30W, both of which have given me no problems yet and perform great for the price (I'm pretty broke). But to my point, I've definitely read some rough stories about the Xpro-- especially the early models-- so I just know I've got to keep an eye on it. While there's really no such thing as too much knowledge and/or information and safety should absolutely be your number one priority, it's also be easy to make yourself crazy sometimes.

That all said, again I totally get why you want to switch. I'm sure someone else will know where to point you.

Yea, it did bother me a lot because I found out about it right after buying it. Of course, the local shop here I bought it from started laughing when I asked them about it. I always make sure I don't charge it overnight and I don't run it on anything over 30watts right now so there shouldn't be a problem it never gets hot.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
That's all you can do for now. It also might not be a bad idea to remove the atomizer any time the device isn't in use, but I've also heard people say the only way they knew their 50W was firing was from the crackle so idk... but as a general rune I'd recommend removing it for safety's sake. I'm stating the obvious here, but as long as everything seems OK now it probably is, until it's not. I'm sure someone can help you out here.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Yes, Joyetech just came out with the Evic VT which is close to what you're looking for BUT there seems to be some early-production problems with it like a 30W surge at the beginning of firing at wattages less than 30.

I agree Innokin products are probably a safe bet, or waiting on the newer Eleaf. If you're really worried about the safety of your device, it might be worth trying to figure out if there's *any* way to add another 20-30 dollars to your price point, which could conceivably open up your options significantly. I'm not sure; I haven't been doing the same kind of research into what's out there as I once did.

PressPlayVape

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
CA
I like my Smok M80 Plus, it's about a 1/4" longer than the istick 50w, same height and width. I have them sitting side by side on my work desk right now. The Sigelei 150w is a nice mod too, but definitely larger than both of these, still pocketable if you don't wear skinny jeans but you're probably not putting anything else in that pocket. The Sig 75w with temp control that's coming out looks promising also, can't wait to check that thing out.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I like my Smok M80 Plus, it's about a 1/4" longer than the istick 50w, same height and width. I have them sitting side by side on my work desk right now. The Sigelei 150w is a nice mod too, but definitely larger than both of these, still pocketable if you don't wear skinny jeans but you're probably not putting anything else in that pocket. The Sig 75w with temp control that's coming out looks promising also, can't wait to check that thing out.

I totally agree, I love my Smok M80 Plus too. Especially if you're really only looking for a versatile VW device for a really good price and not bothered about the useless TC mode and sort of weird Mech mode. Just out of curiosity, does anywhere sell the Sig 75W at an even comparable price to the M80? Of course, the price point is one of the most attractive features of the Smok :)

PressPlayVape

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
CA
I totally agree, I love my Smok M80 Plus too. Especially if you're really only looking for a versatile VW device for a really good price and not bothered about the useless TC mode and sort of weird Mech mode. Just out of curiosity, does anywhere sell the Sig 75W at an even comparable price to the M80? Of course, the price point is one of the most attractive features of the Smok :)
Not sure when the Sig 75w is releasing yet, I haven't seen a price but I'm curious.

Cuando

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Living in a box of CelluCotton
Two iStick 50Ws here, one dead the other now autofiring. When the first one died I bought a Sigelei 150W. Have yet to take it over 50 but don't care, being able to swap out my batteries was a huge plus for me and so far it has been awesome, everything else I own just collects dust.

Reactions: caboog78

PressPlayVape

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
CA
I've heard that you have to be careful with the removable batteries for the box mods, what is that all about?

Battery safety is always important, you want to choose 18650 batteries that are well tested for vaping such as MXJO, Samsung 25R, Sony VTC4 or VTC5. Buying a quality charger like the Nitecore D4 is important as well. Sig 150 does use external batteries that you would need a charger for.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
The Snow Wolf by Asmodus is now down to $100.49 on eBay this morning. Two removable 18650 batteries, VW 5-200, plus what the reviews on this board call the best working temp control yet, in case you ever want to try that. TC is selectable, you don't have to if you don't want to futz with rebuilding nickel coils. Bigger than your iStick, but not gigantic; 100x50x30mm or 4x2x1inches. Definitely pocketable, but nothing else will fit in that pocket :)

You do want top quality batts in a high power box. Sony VTC4/VTC5s are often touted; ditto Panasonics. Some folks like Efest Purples, others hate them. My advice is Sony VTC5s from a reputable dealer like Orbitronic. Those batteries get counterfeited. A lot. You might get a good one and save 2 bucks each. Or not. If you're going to buy a dual battery mod, parallel or series, buy a pair of batteries for them and keep them together, charge them at the same time. I suggest you read the battery threads on this board, of which there are a great many. Check Baditude's blog, too. If you get it from him, it's gospel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread