Help Me Understand Drip Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanaspus

Jun 26, 2014
Columbus OH USA
Alright, I'm very new at this and have learned an invaluable amount of information from this forum in a very short time. Mods provide power, tanks, atomizers, clearomizers, etc. hold ejuice to heat up and vape.

What's not coming together is the concept of drip tips. When I look at pictures of them, they basically look like threaded adaptors. All other liquid holding components appear fairly self-evident, but drip tips do not.

Do they attach to a tank, do they attach to a mod, what is it they do exactly, how are they used? Questions like these float through my head.

Thanks in advance for any edification provided.

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
The point of the drip tip (and the name) comes from their initial use. They were designed originally to be used on standard disposable atomizers, they went on in place of the cartridge and allowed the user to drip juice through them directly onto the coil.

On other types of hardware, such as cartomizers, they simply acted as a mouthpiece (though you could still "drip" through them to top off your carto)

Nowadays on the types of equipment that are currently available they serve the "mouthpiece" function more than anything else, and still serve their original function on traditional disposable atomizers or rebuildable dripping atomizers

Hope that explanation makes sense :)

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Drip tips are a nominal 9mm in diameter and press fit with an O-ring into cartomizers, tanks, clearos, etc. to provide a mouthpiece. They can be different diameters and lengths. The most common type seen today were originally designed to fit onto 510 cartos and dripping atomizers. They can be plastic, metal or glass. Long narrow drip tips can do double duty as an insertion tool to place cartos into carto tanks. Drip tips can be used to color code atomizers using different flavors. They can also function as refection of the vaper's individuality.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Here is a stainless steel drip fitted into a 510 cartomizer. The cartomiser is fitted into a glass carto tank.

4holespunched.jpg

DeliciousClouds

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Nijmegen, Netherlands
At first I was confused about this too. A drip tip? Isn't that a special thing you can only drip through? Oh jeez, the tank I ordered has a drip tip, noooo! I just want to vape!! :laugh:

Of course the above sounds very stupid but you learn and learn some more until everything clicks into place. I jumped into tank vaping with very little info because I was just too excited for it. Not the smartest thing to do, but hey, I haven't turned into human mush yet. :D

I've certainly learned a lot from this forum in the short time I've been here, deserving of my support.

Last edited:

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
All of the above sum it up pretty well. I would add 2 points.

Drip tips generally have a similar size of connection (510 it's usually called) but a few are designed for other size of devices. Protanks, Kayfun lites, most drip RDAs, except the same sized drip tip. Some don't even come with a tip and you have to provide your own.

2. The drip tip can actually change your vaping experience. Some have narrow bores, some wider. Long and thin or short and fat. Acrylic, ceramic, stainless, aluminum, chrome, plastic. Some get hotter or stay cooler or concentrate the vapor...provide a tighter or looser draw.

See...didn't that make it all so much simpler? Sorry...got carried away.

Stringplucker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Tarentum, PA, USA
All of the above sum it up pretty well. I would add 2 points.

Drip tips generally have a similar size of connection (510 it's usually called) but a few are designed for other size of devices. Protanks, Kayfun lites, most drip RDAs, except the same sized drip tip. Some don't even come with a tip and you have to provide your own.

2. The drip tip can actually change your vaping experience. Some have narrow bores, some wider. Long and thin or short and fat. Acrylic, ceramic, stainless, aluminum, chrome, plastic. Some get hotter or stay cooler or concentrate the vapor...provide a tighter or looser draw.

See...didn't that make it all so much simpler? Sorry...got carried away.

Yup, different tips change the experience. I have some delrin ones that I like on some devices and flavors, that don't so well on the other devices. My Protanks love the stainless, while the RDA's, prefer the acrylic or delrin due to heat.

So in essence this is a luxury piece since most apparati comes with a happy purple mouthpiece. I get it. Thank you all.

See what I just responded to...

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
I collect drip tips and have over a hundred so far at last count. They are a mouthpiece for atomizers in ecigs. I have found that depending on the type tip and the fit to the atomizer you can have a different type vape. If a drip tip is loose and wobbly you may get gurgling in your vape. There are some almost a foot long and others 1/2 inch. If the tube is too tight less vapor .Vapers are a crazy but lovable bunch that have specific preferences. To tighten up a drip tip you can use dental floss/sewing string in the groove where the o-ring rests.

Stringplucker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Tarentum, PA, USA
You know. the more I learn, the more cigs look like the cheap option :p Just kidding.

Initially, it seems that way. Like any new habit/hobby, it takes a bit to find your sweet spot...the spot where everything finally feels perfect. I made purchases without doing my homework for the first month, mainly because I wanted to try so much, and buying it was the only way. Now, I'm in the zone where saving money is well within sight.

Don't let the choices overwhelm you.

COGamerGirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs
Initially, it seems that way. Like any new habit/hobby, it takes a bit to find your sweet spot...the spot where everything finally feels perfect. I made purchases without doing my homework for the first month, mainly because I wanted to try so much, and buying it was the only way. Now, I'm in the zone where saving money is well within sight.

Don't let the choices overwhelm you.

Could not agree more. There is a curve to vaping that can be expensive at first. But once you find what works for you then it's just a matter of resisting the "ooooh shiny stuff" syndrome that seems to still plague most of us lol.

Welcome to the forums. Great group of people here with a wealth of knowledge and a willingness to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread