Help needed from experienced DIY'ers with simple recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there everyone. I just started vaping and decided I want to try my hand in making my own flavored liquids. I just received a pretty big order for DIY liquids....100mg PG base nicotine liquid, VG base, PG base, sweetener, ethyl maltol, a few 5ml bottles, a few 10ml bottles, a couple syringes and the flovors I'd like to make and/or mix: FA Mango, LA Mango, Capella Strawberries and cream, Capella blueberry, LA tropical punch, LA pineapple, LA pina colada, LA Watermelon, LA Cherry, LA Apple, LA Tart & Sour flavor enhancer, tobacco Absolute and FA Maxx Blend tobacco. Now that I'm looking up recipes, it looks like it takes more than just "Maxx Blend" flavoring to make a cigarette tasting liquid. Any ingredients or supplies that I haven't listed that I might need to get my desired flavors? (basically , the flavors I ordered, are the flavors I'm looking for). All the recipes I'm finding have multiple ingredients I don't have on hand...and some of those ingredients are hard to find (like vape Wizard). Any suggestions on simple recipes using the ingredients I have? (ie: will the LA apple and the LA Tart and Sour make a sour apple?)

Last edited:

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
myfreedomsmokes carries vape wizard but they are currently sold out. be careful with the nicotine, wear eye protection and gloves and dilute it with pg or vg to a safer level asap. you can get VG, labeled at walmart in the skin care section as "glycerin". some don't like the quality but i'm satisfied with it and it is way cheap. most people like their juices 30 to 50% VG. search the flavoring percentage threads to find a recommended starting point. i haven't used FA Maxx but most tobacco juices need a lot of steeping.

SouthernBliss

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ga, USA
For the fruit you may be able to get something with just the fruit flavor and some lemon juice (1 or 2 drops per 5ml) or the tart and sweet (also a really minimal amount) to make it pop. Pretty sure you can try the Capella strawberries and cream and blueberry as stand alone as well. Tobacco as I understand it is a tricky one no matter how you go. Often it gets sublet hints of other things added like caramel, vanilla, gram cracker or even marshmallow.

You may want to invest in either Ethyl malto (it smooths and sweetens) and/or "sweetener" which is sucralose (think that is right). But, don't think you can't try anything till you get more stuff and it is possible you won't need to sweeten them. Depends at least partly on how high your VG is.

If you do a search on Capella in the forums you will find several threads on Capella. I think the ball park percentage for blueberry is 10% but I don't have a number written down anywhere for strawberry cream.

I have a tropical fruit punch that I made recently with TPA and my boys like it. It was suggested to me to add a small percentage of strawberry to bring out the flavors properly and that seems to have worked. You may want to do a small test with the LA punch to see how it tastes and if it would help to add some strawberry or a different fruit like pineapple to make it brighter.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Tobacco is tricky. As mentioned caramel, vanilla, AP, sweetner can be added as subtle note but you want to add very little of the flavors to achive the subtle notes. For instance

7% Maxx
1% AP (Nutty flavor)
1% caramel
1% sweetner (optional)

The predominent flavor should be the tobacco.

Also with tobacco you MUST steep it. It can take anywhere from 2 weeks to over a month to steep.

search heat steeping or just steeping in general to get some ideas on how to steep. and how to speed up steeping times.

Fruits are easier just start with a fruit at 5 -8% and a cream flavor at 3%. They don't need more then 1 or 2 days steeping.

The secret with DYI is little is more. Mix in small test batches and start with low % of flavors and add mre as you need after a good steep until you reach your desired flavor level.

Last edited:
Guess I need more flavors for my tobacco flavors. Those are my favs...the wife enjoys the fruity stuff which seems easy enough to make.

What is AP (Nutty Flavor)? Does that stand for something like Apple Pecan or is it an actual flavor name?

Right now I've got a few batches steeping. The 2 I'm concerned with are my Maxx Blend (at 6%, with no other flavors) and the Strawberries and Cream which I think I did at 20%, which now I'm thinking might be a bit strong. I think I'm comfortable diluting the S&C if it's too strong using a calculator to keep my nic level at 16mg. As far as the Maxx Blend, if it tastes like crap and I want to add some ingredients like you suggested, how is that done while keeping the nic level at 16mg, or is that a case of tossing it and starting over?

Norman Clature

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Athens, GA, USA
Hey there everyone. I just started vaping and decided I want to try my hand in making my own flavored liquids. I just received a pretty big order for DIY liquids....100mg PG base nicotine liquid, VG base, PG base, sweetener, ethyl maltol, a few 5ml bottles, a few 10ml bottles, a couple syringes and the flovors I'd like to make and/or mix: FA Mango, LA Mango, Capella Strawberries and cream, Capella blueberry, LA tropical punch, LA pineapple, LA pina colada, LA Watermelon, LA Cherry, LA Apple, LA Tart & Sour flavor enhancer, Tobacco Absolute and FA Maxx Blend Tobacco. Now that I'm looking up recipes, it looks like it takes more than just "Maxx Blend" flavoring to make a cigarette tasting liquid. Any ingredients or supplies that I haven't listed that I might need to get my desired flavors? (basically , the flavors I ordered, are the flavors I'm looking for). All the recipes I'm finding have multiple ingredients I don't have on hand...and some of those ingredients are hard to find (like Vape Wizard). Any suggestions on simple recipes using the ingredients I have? (ie: will the LA apple and the LA Tart and Sour make a sour apple?)

I haven't tried any of the flavors you have but many Capella flavors are pretty good by themselves. I've heard "Strawberries and Cream" is good by itself but I've never tried it.

I usually use a 5ml test bottle and put 1.75ml PG/1.75ml VG in with no nicotine and add 1 drop of Capella flavoring and shake and vape. Sometimes that's all you need. They are pretty strong flavors. You can add more drops but be forewarned about "Hoosier's Law": When you feel like "it's almost there" stop and wait awhile. It's easy to overshoot and too much flavor can taste like not enough flavor or just plain awful. There is some sort of "diminishing law of returns" in this game.:ohmy:

Norman

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
.."Hoosier's Law": When you feel like "it's almost there" stop and wait awhile. It's easy to overshoot and too much flavor can taste like not enough flavor or just plain awful. There is some sort of "diminishing law of returns" in this game.:ohmy:

Norman

LOL!

That caused an actual outburst!!!!!! (The wife thinks I'm laughing at something on TV, so it's cool.)

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
What is AP (Nutty Flavor)? Does that stand for something like Apple Pecan or is it an actual flavor name?

Acetyl pyrazine. It adds a nutty, toasted bread flavor. Add a little and it'll give you that missing element you never knew you needed. Add too much and you'll end up with Fritos flavored e-liquid.

Norman Clature

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Athens, GA, USA
LOL!

That caused an actual outburst!!!!!! (The wife thinks I'm laughing at something on TV, so it's cool.)

It is pretty funny! "Hoosier's Law" sounds like some sort of courtroom drama itself or something.:laugh:

I was going to provide a hyperlink to your blogs and then got lazy but here you are and the OP can see them under your avatar.

"Now; back to our regularly scheduled broadcast..."

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
You've been given some great tips here---nothing wrong with going old school and sampling each flavor on its own first without the nic added to see what you and your wife think of them and to familarize yourself with that flavor's profile. Tobaccos are harder to perfect unless you use the super concentrated ones that Vaping Zone sells---those are pretty much mix and vape and great for beginners IMO. I would not judge any FA or TFA tobaccos immediately----give it a few days.Good luck!

eikon

slave to the comma
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Fritos:
6% AP
1% TFA popcorn

mix at no more than 70/30, more VG will make it too sweet.

for Nacho Fritos add 0.5% TFA jalapeno.

now if someone can figure out cumin and cheddar flavoring we'd have something...
(TFA has Blue cheese, but that just sounds wrong)
:evil:

Last edited:

Tracker II

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
nothing wrong with going old school and sampling each flavor on its own first without the nic added to see what you and your wife think of them and to familarize yourself with that flavor's profile.

Stellar advice! Digging right in with recipes and ending up with concoctions you don't like leave you bewildered as to whether you don't like the percentages used or the underlying flavors themselves. I wish I would have started out this way as I would have saved myself a lot of pain and frustration.

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
. . .Any suggestions on simple recipes using the ingredients I have? (ie: will the LA apple and the LA Tart and Sour make a sour apple?)

I smoked cigarettes for more than 52 years. 2.5 PAD when I started ecigs. Started vaping 3 years ago using DIY Cinnamon. Got concerned I was vaping too much Cinnamon. Mixed next batch without it. 24 hours later I discovered. . .I'd accidently left the nicotine out of that batch also. Decided if I'd gone without it for 24 hours. . .then who needs it. For the next 6 months I vaped nothing but 50/50 VG/PG. Probably would have gone on forever if I hadn't had to enter hospital for surgery. 2.25 months in hospital w/o my ProVari. My story, I ACCIDENTLY quit smoking cigarettes after 52 years by using an e-cig. I doubt I'm anywhere near typical, but it worked for me.

Cheers,
otrpu

Last edited:
Tobacco is tricky. As mentioned caramel, vanilla, AP, sweetner can be added as subtle note but you want to add very little of the flavors to achive the subtle notes. For instance

7% Maxx
1% AP (Nutty flavor)
1% caramel
1% sweetner (optional)

The predominent flavor should be the tobacco.

Also with tobacco you MUST steep it. It can take anywhere from 2 weeks to over a month to steep.

search heat steeping or just steeping in general to get some ideas on how to steep. and how to speed up steeping times.

Fruits are easier just start with a fruit at 5 -8% and a cream flavor at 3%. They don't need more then 1 or 2 days steeping.

The secret with DYI is little is more. Mix in small test batches and start with low % of flavors and add mre as you need after a good steep until you reach your desired flavor level.

Is that an actual recipe? I mixed some up and it did smell like Fritos. I ended making a bigger batch to keep my nic strength and add some more flavors (Tobacco Absolute & WL Smooth) and still....Fritos lol. I made an even bigger batch today to knock the AP down to .5% or about 2 drops per 10ml and it smells a little better...still has a hint of Fritos lol. I see what you guys mean by that stuff. I have a feeling my current batch is going to turn out ok after letting it steep in hot water, keeping the lid off over night and then just letting it sit (lid on) for a couple weeks. I hope anyways. Here's what I've got so far...we'll see how it turns out:

7% Maxx Blend (FA)
.5% Tobacco Absolute (diluted in PG)
1% Caramel (TPA)
.5% Acetyl Pyrazine (TPA)
1% Sweetener
.3% Smooth (WL)

70%PG/30%VG 18mg nic

Try the Capella at 10%

I ended up doing the Strawberries & Cream at 15% and it came out perfect. Wife loves it and its one I can actually vape all day. Haven't tried anything with the Blueberry yet...I'm kind of scared of that one lol. I love blueberry flavored stuff, and if it comes out with the somewhat mild flavor the Strawberries & Cream had I'd be happy. We bought an e-liquid called Blueberry Blast at a local shop and I can't handle it. It tastes like a blueberry sweet-tart or something.

Chan SauWei

Jun 6, 2013
Malaysia
taste is very subjective for every one....

What is the best and fantastic recipe for each flavours??

I believe no body able to answer it... Just believe to ur tongue, and ur tongue will tell u which it's the best recipe...

Sure we will facing alot try & error, and try to fine turn the volume of our ingredients to suit our taste...

Just enjoy it.. u will get alot 'surprise' for DIY e-juice...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread