Help needed....would like to upgrade from a starter kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

glimmer

Oct 23, 2014
Manila
Hi everyone, this is my first post on ECF, and I'm so glad that there is a forum dedicated to vaping. I've been a smoker for 30 years and have not touched one since last April 2014. I started using a Kanger EVOD Starter Kit. I got curious from there and decided I wanted to upgrade. A friend sold me his Provari and Kayfun, but I had so much trouble filling it with juice and re-wicking that I just sold it off again and went back to the Kanger. I bought an iTaste VV so at least I could vary the voltage.

The thing is, I would like to upgrade to a battery ( or "mod"?) so I don't need to charge after every few hours. A friend recommended an rDNA, but when I went to a Vape store to look at it, it seems it cannot accomodate the EVOD. What I like about the EVOD system is that I just replace the atomizer/coils and its good to go....I don't like re-wicking or any of that stuff (no offense to those who do)...I'm just not that type of person. I'm more of a plug and play person but want more battery life. Is there any kind of system that uses an rDNA or something similar, together with a disposable type of atty?

I've been going semi-crazy trying to figure out all the terms used in vaping, and whenver I go to a store I don't understand half of the things they are saying...I just want to simply vape with relatively little tinkering done.

Any suggestions/advice for guys like me?

Thanks in advance.

Fattlestar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Ohio, USA
Welcome to ECF!

I have similar tastes, I'm not at all interested in rebuilding or coiling. My solution worked out great with some help from the folks here.

For your topper, I think you would be best off with something like a Kanger Aerotank or a Nautilus (mini or regular, but with BVC coils). Either of those will perform better than the EVOD. Both you just buy replacement atty heads for and toss the old ones when needed. I prefer the BVC-head Nautilus tanks, but its really a matter of taste. Either one will perform great.

As far as batteries go, if you prefer a box-like device, the Innokin Itaste MVP v2.0 is a perfect way to begin. It will last you a very long time, and many people only need to charge it every few days!

There are other options, but these are the most friendly "plug and play" types that I've found so far. Other folks might recommend the iStick instead of the MVP for a battery, but I think you sound like you need a workhorse like the MVPv2.

With an MVPv2 and one of those glassomizers, all you have to do is make sure you have some juice, some extra atty heads and every couple days charge up the battery.

I hope some of that helps. If you want, I can link these items for you as well, but if you do some searching you'll find them out there.

Edit: Also, the MVPv2 will accommodate the EVOD toppers you currently like, in case you want to stick with them :)

Last edited:

jabberwalkie

Mar 8, 2014
us
I was tired of being tethered to an outlet and having a back up battery as well. I recently purchased the itaste mvp v2 and couldn't be happier. Its a little big but last a full day and then some on a full charge. It offers variable voltage and wattage along with a easy to use ohm meter. You can charge your mobile devices of it and for some reason it has a puff counter too. It excepts 510 and ego threading so your evod should fit nicely. It cost me $60 on myvaporstore.com but i have heard it selling for less in other places. Like I said I couldn't be happier with mine and if you look around you'll find others that have nothing but good things to say about this box mod.

Happy Plumes!!!

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum glimmer. Glad to have you here!:)

+1 on the MVP v2

1. Huge (2600 mah) battery
2. Variable Voltage - Voltage can be adjusted from 3.3 ~ 5.0 in 0.1 volt increments
3. Variable Wattage - Wattage can be adjusted from 6.0 ~ 11.0 in 0.5 watt increments
4. Ohms Meter - Reads the resistance of your atomizer
5. Pass through ability
6. $40 shipped (in the US) at many online stores

Pair it with a mini Naulitus with the new BVC's (bottom vertical coils) an you will have a great vape.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
MVP 2 is iTaste's VV V3 big sister. Same function, but the battery lasts 3.5 times longer (2600mAh vs 700mAh). But it's a box--do you mind? MVP2 and all eGo-class batteries are dual threaded and will accept any 510 and eGo threaded topper.

ego-510-thread.jpg

DNA mods come with 510 connection only, which means that they will work with any 510 threaded topper. If you want to use an eGo-threaded topper on a DNA mod, you'd need an adapter.

If you like your eVod, look at other Kanger clearomizers--the smaller ones (15 mm diameter) are usually eGo-threaded, the larger ones (19 mm) are 510 threaded because they were designed for larger (510) mods.

BTW, I suggest you educate yourself a bit more before making your move--there will be a bunch of new or revised APVs hitting the market soon--before Christmas. The MVP3 and possibly the new DNA 25 with temperature control. :D

Good luck and have fun!

glimmer

Oct 23, 2014
Manila
Thanks for the advice. I was actually going to go for this, but was told that the MVP doesn't have "replaceable batteries", meaning if the unit gets busted, that's it, whereas with an RDNA device, the batteries are changeable. Don't know if there's much truth to this though....still confused.

Hello and welcome to the forum glimmer. Glad to have you here!:)

+1 on the MVP v2

1. Huge (2600 mah) battery
2. Variable Voltage - Voltage can be adjusted from 3.3 ~ 5.0 in 0.1 volt increments
3. Variable Wattage - Wattage can be adjusted from 6.0 ~ 11.0 in 0.5 watt increments
4. Ohms Meter - Reads the resistance of your atomizer
5. Pass through ability
6. $40 shipped (in the US) at many online stores

Pair it with a mini Naulitus with the new BVC's (bottom vertical coils) an you will have a great vape.

glimmer

Oct 23, 2014
Manila
Thanks a bunch! I'm certainly trying to educate myself and have been really reading a lot on the Internet. Just very confusing but I'm sure I'll get past this stage.

MVP 2 is iTaste's VV V3 big sister. Same function, but the battery lasts 3.5 times longer (2600mAh vs 700mAh). But it's a box--do you mind? MVP2 and all eGo-class batteries are dual threaded and will accept any 510 and eGo threaded topper.

DNA mods come with 510 connection only, which means that they will work with any 510 threaded topper. If you want to use an eGo-threaded topper on a DNA mod, you'd need an adapter.

If you like your eVod, look at other Kanger clearomizers--the smaller ones (15 mm diameter) are usually eGo-threaded, the larger ones (19 mm) are 510 threaded because they were designed for larger (510) mods.

BTW, I suggest you educate yourself a bit more before making your move--there will be a bunch of new or revised APVs hitting the market soon--before Christmas. The MVP3 and possibly the new DNA 25 with temperature control. :D

Good luck and have fun!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks a bunch! I'm certainly trying to educate myself and have been really reading a lot on the Internet. Just very confusing but I'm sure I'll get past this stage.

I can't even begin to imagine how confusing it must be for new vapers nowadays. Seriously. When I started, we only had two choices--2-piece or 3-piece device. Oh, they were both lousy. :lol:

OTOH, there are many setups that work well and I'm sure you'll find one that will suit your needs. Luckily, one can get quality PVs for almost any price--from 40 to 500 dollars--and beyond.

If you watch YouTube, make sure you watch (or even subscribe) Phil Busardo videos (pbusardo)--he's one of the best, most thorough and most entertaining YouTube reviewers and tutors.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks for the advice. I was actually going to go for this, but was told that the MVP doesn't have "replaceable batteries", meaning if the unit gets busted, that's it, whereas with an RDNA device, the batteries are changeable. Don't know if there's much truth to this though....still confused.

Well, look at DNA 40 with temperature control--it's expensive and brand new, but rather exciting. Vapor Shark is less expensive than the Hana, thus Hana DNA 40 mods are available now, while VaporShark is pre-order only. ;) But frankly, DNA is overkill if you want to use your eVod...

And ProVari 3 is about to make its debut--but I assume you're done with ProVari?

Sigelei Zmax is a nice vv/vw tube mod and it's eGo-510 threaded with replaceable batteries.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
most popular "dependable" most fiddle free mods on this forum, mid range price, are traditionally: Provari or REO

You can spend a whole lot less, but many mods won't last you a year or so......and many will.

What is your price range?

I am a hold-out who does not re-build......so I still use REO with over the counter atties from Cisco, or shorty cartos 1.7ohm smoketech. Put juice in bottle, pop in a battery, and one o those toppers, and you're good to go all day long, and you can drop it off a roof and it will still work. :)

I you prefer tube mod, with circuitry, and very safe, and also years of dependable service, Provari is other most popular PV here. Put a aerotank or nautilus tank on, you're good to go.

Katya mentioned the Sigelei Zmax, which I REALLY liked, cheaper, takes 3 sizes o batts, 510 and ego threaded, very nice. I used Evods and Protanks on mine. Both mini and full size.

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Yes, that is true. The MVP's battery is not replaceable. However, I have not heard of anyone having a problem with theirs. I have 4 of them, one of which is almost a year old, all of them still going strong.

I can't even begin to imagine how confusing it must be for new vapers nowadays. Seriously. When I started, we only had two choices--2-piece or 3-piece device. Oh, they were both lousy.
Isn't that the truth!

Except in 2006 (which is when I first started vaping) 2-piece was all I had. I was SO EXCITED when they came out with 3-piece. However, all the proprietary connections was a real NIGHTMARE!

My 1st e-cig
2006 E-Cigarette.jpg

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Yes, that is true. The MVP's battery is not replaceable. However, I have not heard of anyone having a problem with theirs. I have 4 of them, one of which is almost a year old, all of them still going strong.

I have two MVPs, 1 iTaste V3, a bunch of eGos, Rivas, Spinners and even old V4L (kr808) batteries--they all refuse to die. :facepalm: I feel so bad every time I buy a new toy...

Isn't that the truth!

Except in 2006 (which is when I first started vaping) 2-piece was all I had. I was SO EXCITED when they came out with 3-piece. However, all the proprietary connections was a real NIGHTMARE!

My 1st e-cig
View attachment 383605

You started in 2006???? In 2006 I was using Virginia Slim Lights. And nicorette gums, lozenges, Nicotrol inhaler and Swedish snus. Oh, and Wellbutrin. :facepalm:

Nightmare it was. :D I started with cartos, but I have a 901 atomizer somewhere. Never really got a hang of it.

We may be back to vaping those, Susan, if the FDA wins. They are being grandfathered in. :p

glimmer

Oct 23, 2014
Manila

Isn't that the truth!

My 1st e-cig
View attachment 383605

The thing is, my itaste vv seems to be draining much faster (or I may be vaping a lot more). Either way, I'd like to get a battery with higher capacity. I just ordered an rdna and should have it by tomorrow. I'll just look for a suitable tank system this weekend. This being the Philippines, there aren't many options as far as I know. Most stores are telling me to go the rebuild route but i have been told that a Protank 3 system will work with the rdna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
As you have heard the MVP certainly has it's place. I use my old one for when I'm out hiking or such as it's semi durable and if I loose it I won't be as ...... vs my higher end devices. The Naut is a topper I read mentioned early on in this thread and I agree it's currently one of the best, if not the best, for factory made coils. Speaking of if you stick to factory coils look for a mod that can down regulate. To simplify some mods, on a full charge, put out more power than those small coils can handle giving you a nice burnt taste. I would not worry about the ego threading. If by chance you buy a device (such as the provari 2.5) that is without ego threads you can buy an adapter for a few dollars. I would avoid mechanical mods. If you dislike messing around with coils I suspect you will dislike keeping up with the battery life on a mechanical. As far as which regulated mod, for your desires and assuming you have the money, I would try a provari again. Sigelei makes comparable tube mods but I seem to recall they do not down regulate well. I do not run mine down low enough to know first hand.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I've already purchased the Vapor Shark RDNA. Thanks for all the advice so far. Now I just need to figure out what tank system to use. Right now I'm thinking Protank 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you aware that those mods are more powerful than other batteries? The lowest voltage is 4 volts (lowest wattage 7 watts or so)? So you'll have to be careful with single coil LR atties so you don't burn them. They are designed for high wattage vapers. And no reverse battery protection, so make sure you put your battery in the right way, or else.

ProTanks 3 is not worth buying--if you want a dual coil atty, get an AeroTank--Aerotank is an improved ProTank 3. ProTank 3 has no airflow control.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread