Help out a mech noob...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Om3gatyp3

Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys, so after years of vaping I decided to get a mech mod. Something to play around with at the house. I received the limitless mod in copper and some new Sony VTC4's. Built some Clapton's at .5 ohms in the Druga and slapped it on the mod. When I went to fire, it didn't do much. Very little vapor production. I grabbed my other RDA which had fresh coils as well at .45 and it performed the same way. The batteries are fully charged and the 5 10 pin is protruding. I put both RDAs on my Asvape Michael and they had tons of vapor production at 60watts. What am I doing wrong? Should I try for a .3 oh build? Thanks in advance.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
On a single battery mech, the less mass (metal) the better IMHO.

Think K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

I pretty happy with dual 1.2 ohm (0.6 ohm total) simple compressed coils made from 26 gauge Kanthal.

full

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Built some Clapton's at .5 ohms [...] both RDAs ... had tons of vapor production at 60watts.
Well at .5 ohms, you're not getting 60 watts out of a single-cell mech mod. Assuming minimal volt drop, you'll get like 32-ish watts from that build. If you set the regulated about there, do you get about the same vape as from the mech?

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Are we talking dual coils here? Standard clapton? You can make a chunky coil work on a single-cell mech, but you're going to have a narrow resistance range to work with, especially if you aren't into single coils.

Dual coils, go with Baditude's suggestion as a baseline. It was also my go-to build for several years. Honestly when getting into exotic coils you need to expect a massive hit in overall efficiency for minor, maybe even negligible gains in flavour and vapour - classic diminishing returns.

You can run high mass coils efficiently, but you have to build very explicitly for it and concessions will need to be made.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Simple 316l round wire around .3 to .4 should do alot better Clapton on a mech are a no go to much metal not enough power

A Clapton on a mech can be wonderful. A round build can be awful. It's all about building for balance.

I have to say, though, that I can't really so much as conceptualize a decent dual clapton build on a single cell mech without resorting to super high gauges.

[EDIT] FWIW my go-to clapton build goes full fireworks in about 0.8 seconds from dead cold.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Well at .5 ohms, you're not getting 60 watts out of a single-cell mech mod. Assuming minimal volt drop, you'll get like 32-ish watts from that build. If you set the regulated about there, do you get about the same vape as from the mech?

This.

You are getting about 32 watts with the clapton on your mech (assuming 0.5-ohms at 4.0-volts), then pushing it to 60 watts on your regulated mod - almost twice the wattage.

If you want a warmer vape with more vapor on the mech, you need to lower the resistance of your coil. A 0.25-ohm coil will draw 16 amps and give you 64 watts - close to the same wattage that you used on your regulated mod. Build with stainless steel clapton wire and you should see a marked difference.

Just make sure that your battery has a discharge rating of 20 amps (or greater) - which will give you at least 4 amps of headroom for safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread