Status
Not open for further replies.

Datalux

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
Sweden
Hoping someone can help me with an issue I am having. I've had my Reo Grand for just over a week and it has developed a problem with firing anything I put on it (Carto's, Atty's, RBA's).

I bought a Kick and several 18490's, printed a "Kickstand" for it, scuffed the inside where the spring touches and it has been working fine with this setup for most of the week. Batteries last about 6-8hrs and Kick was set to 8.5 watts. I was using Cisco 301's and decided to try carto's and find them much cleaner and easier to use (blind squonk). Flavor is much better than in a tank IMHO, maybe because the bottom feed keeps the coil nice and wet. Anyways, yesterday after having the same Kicked/Carto setup I have had for the last couple days, the battery seemingly dies after about 3 hrs. I did not get the normal Shhh...Shhh...Shhh... from the Kick telling me the battery was done. So I swapped the battery anyway and while it seemed to work OK, it was a much lighter vape and takes much longer to draw enough for even a remotely satisfying draw.

Fast forward a couple hrs, and the same thing happens again, totally charged battery is seemingly dead in just 2-3 hrs. Swap the battery again and it's not firing at all. I put it up to my ear and there's a slight bzzzz bzzzz when pressing the fire button but nothing else and not even useful for vaping.

So I think the Kick died or something. I take it out and replace it, and the 18490 with a fresh 18650, carto makes a slight crackle when firing and then peters out and not enough to vape. Try a different carto, (maybe the first one died?) Nope, same thing with a different carto. <confused look> Take out the multimeter and check the following:

18650: 4.2 volts end to end (outside the Reo by itself)
Spring to center contact on Reo when firing 18650: 4.2 volts (two different 18650's)
Spring to center contact on Reo when firing Kick any 18490's: 0 volts (I think the Kick needs a load to register)
IGo-L across posts with "wet"coil installed, 18650 and 510 adapter "lightly screwed in: 3.8 volts (only thing I had that I could use to measure across a load)
IGo-L across posts with "wet"coil installed, Kicked 18490 and 510 adapter "lightly screwed in: 3.58 volts (so the Kick works)

Best way I can describe what I am seeing is while the voltage seems to be there, the amperage is not, but I have no way of testing it. It would be akin to vaping at 2-3 watts, just not enough "power" for anything I put on it.

What works: The Cisco 301's seem to be the only thing that works and only with the 18650's . (15-20 sec draw to get reasonable vapor)

Carto's don't work at all. I tried 4, (2 used, 2 new) slight crackle and then nothing.

IGo-L - in between the Atty's and Carto's - fires a little but not enough to actually vape.

So, I took the screw out of the plastic part to see what I could see and find that it has what I would consider excessive juice in it. Not flooding, but certainly more than I would have expected. I.e. zero

Given what I have documented - What's up. I was hoping this was a "bullet proof" device as the concept seems simple enough but I wasn't expecting this one week in.

Is it possible the juice under the plastic cover is shorting something or leaching power in some way shape or form?? I assumed this was a sealed area and juice couldn't get in there.

I'm totally stumped here, and of course this is my only device <double sigh>

Last edited:

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
You need to send a PM to Robert (redeyedancer) or phone him. He will help you get to the bottom of this.

Must add that there should not be juice behind the delrin cover. Check the tube while squonking the bottle and see if you can find/see a leak. Perhaps the tube is cracked or not on the connection correctly.

Last edited:

Datalux

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
Sweden
You need to send a PM to Robert (redeyedancer) or phone him. He will help you get to the bottom of this.

I'll try that - thanks

Must add that there should not be juice behind the delrin cover. Check the tube while squonking the bottle and see if you can find/see a leak. Perhaps the tube is cracked or not on the connection correctly.

Squonked with the cover slid down and do not see any juice coming out in the area. Possible migration from over squonking? This is the reason I went to carto's.

Try using some isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab to clean the contacts on the Kick, including the ground spring. Also clean the scuffed area of the Reo where you ground the Kick to the body of the Reo.

Removed cover screw, bottle, slid cover down, and ran the whole thing under hot water for a min and swabbed with q-tip. Blow dried the whole thing with warm air and put everything back and touched up with the grease Rob included and the Cisco 301's are still the only thing that will work and only with the 18650's. Very odd indeed.

Atty's are 1.8ohm and I believe the carto's are 2.2 ohm.

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
what kind of batteries 18490 are you using and how old? I've been running a kick for 14 moths straight 24/7 and haven't had this problem. That is not normal behavior for a kick and grand. You do know the Kick requires IMR batteries? Just trying to help and eliminate variables.

Last edited:

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
When you say it is working with a 18650 and not working with the kick . I automatically believe its the kick .
If your flooding your cartos especially 2.2 ohm you wont get much vapor with a 18650 battery .
If you had a meter to check the unit under load you could answer your own ? A grand under load with a 2 ohm atomizer will read 3.8 to 3.99 under load .
Your welcome to send it to me but I have a feeling its not the mod

Datalux

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
Sweden
Per my phone discussion with Rob, Carto's are not flooding and have actually been working great up until yesterday mid-day when this started. The carto's with the Kick and 18490's at 8-1/2watts were excellent and chain vaping 3-4 in a row would actually get them uncomfortably warm to the lips. I mean they work really, really well with plumes of vapor. I have some brand new Boge LR carto's straight out of the plastic (Boge 510 Blank Cartomizer Low Resistance 2.0 oHM 5 Pack ) and they crackle a tiny bit with the 18650's but produce no real vapor and don't work at all with the Kick. The Cisco's are working to keep me from having a nicy fit but just barely. I mean it is night and day how this setup worked all of last week vs. Sunday and today.

I did follow Rob's advice and filed the tip of the contact that the button presses down on again, re-applied Noalox to everything, fresh batteries, etc - and it's just not working. Guess I'll have to send it back for him to have a look see.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Per my phone discussion with Rob, Carto's are not flooding and have actually been working great up until yesterday mid-day when this started. The carto's with the Kick and 18490's at 8-1/2watts were excellent and chain vaping 3-4 in a row would actually get them uncomfortably warm to the lips. I mean they work really, really well with plumes of vapor. I have some brand new Boge LR carto's straight out of the plastic (Boge 510 Blank Cartomizer Low Resistance 2.0 oHM 5 Pack ) and they crackle a tiny bit with the 18650's but produce no real vapor and don't work at all with the Kick. The Cisco's are working to keep me from having a nicy fit but just barely. I mean it is night and day how this setup worked all of last week vs. Sunday and today.

I did follow Rob's advice and filed the tip of the contact that the button presses down on again, re-applied Noalox to everything, fresh batteries, etc - and it's just not working. Guess I'll have to send it back for him to have a look see.

Yes. If mine ever malfunction, I'm sending em back to Rob before taking out any screwdrivers. Or steak knives. Smart decision bro. Wishing a speedy return for you.

Datalux

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
Sweden
I believe the juice was from over plunging . I will no more once I open it up

I'm sure Rob is right - I squonked several times with the cover down and saw no juice coming from the connection or tube. It wasn't a lot, maybe 2-3 drops worth spread around. Enough to wet the back wall and where I had slid it down and the delrin cover.

Got my Sigelei Zmax back from RMA today so I can ship the Reo back to Rob tomorrow. Can't test the Kick but the carto's, atty's, IGo-L and 18650's are working like new again with the Sigelei. Just so odd....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread