Help! Smoking ban! What am I supposed to do now?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
I feel for you. :(

It may not be the employer making this decision, or at least the employer may not be the driving force behind the decision.

Their insurance company may be forcing them into it with lower costs.

Humana won't hire smokers in Arizona

Some excerpts (bold and color emphasis mine);

"To enforce the tobacco ban that starts Friday, Humana will test new employees for nicotine use during a pre-employment urine drug screen."​

"Employees in Maricopa County, Arizona, recently complained about a new health plan that required them to submit saliva samples to test for nicotine. The employees complained that such testing represented an invasion of privacy. County employees who agreed to take the test and did not have tobacco in their system qualify for insurance premiums that are $480 less than what smokers and those who refused to take the test must pay."

"Several Arizona employers have encouraged employees to quit smoking through policies that adopt a carrot-and-stick approach. Companies often ban smoking at work and offer discounted health insurance for employees who agree to kick the habit. Some employers have assessed a benefit surcharge on employees who continue to use tobacco, according to Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona."​

Perhaps the insurance company is applying the "carrot and stick" approach to your employer?

As an aside, here's an interesting blog post with an informative graphics prompted by the above article - Refusing to Hire Tobacco Users – Valid Argument or Just Blowing Smoke?

If I was experiencing this (I work from home), I would go with mint or flavorless and stealth vape at work - as other have said.
Outre, I really appreciate your thoughtful and informative post. Thank you so much for taking the time to do it. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for to build a supply of ammunition if I decide to file a grievance.

The guy who runs the company is a health nut - he's always running marathons, blah, blah, blah. I'm pretty sure he is the one who made the decision for a complete smoking ban. He has no idea of the consequences that will come as a result of taking away the privilege of smoke breaks from a bunch of menopausal women, most of whom have other health issues. We do have health insurance, but its premiums are very high. I pay over $200 a month just for the health insurance premium. There is also a big deductible and high co-pays. I'm seriously considering switching to Medicare (I do qualify because I'm on Social Security Disability). My job is part-time (24 hrs/week) and falls well within the guidelines of what SSD will allow. I do data entry and barely make minimum wage. I found this job through the Bureau of Vocational Rehab. It's fairly low-stress mentally and physically. I've been doing this job for over 6 years. I miss a lot of days when I'm totally exhausted or in a lot of pain, but so far I've managed to not get fired for poor attendance.

I used to belong to an HMO through a previous employer that gave us price breaks if we were non-smokers and our weight fell within a healthy range. That was back when HMOs first started. The health insurance we have now does not give price breaks for such things. I was very healthy back then and only had to pay a $5 co-pay for a doctor's office visit. Things sure have changed.

hippiebrian

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Long Beach, Ca.
"I have one thing to say and that's 'damnit, Janet, I love youuuuu!!!"

Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyways, if it can't be resolved, I suggest maybe looking into snus. Personally, I'm not real good at stealth vaping as I like the bigger mods for battery life, so when it's not real appropriate to vape, I just stick a snus portion in and go about my business. No spitting, no cancer, no one knows.

Puffadder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2011
Punta Gorda Belize / NJ
"I have one thing to say and that's 'damnit, Janet, I love youuuuu!!!"

So should we start referring to you as hippieBRAD ?

I feel for you Janet and it's just one of the many reasons I got as far away from the corporate culture as I could.

damnit hippiebrian now I've got the Time Warp stuck in my head. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread