Help! Why does my juice taste like burnt plastic no matter what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the main reason I joined this forum. I have read tons of suggestions on my issue on the internet, but it seems nothing really works..

More Detail:

I use Kanger products mostly. I have an Evod, and I also have a Kanger Mini Pro-tank II. The only flavor that does not "burn" is menthol.

I've tried dry burning my coils, removing wicks, trying pure PG, pure VG, and trying a mix of both. I've also tried many different e-juice brands. It doesn't matter if the coil is brand new or soaked, I still get this taste.

Do I need a different brand of E-Cig? Or a better kind of battery?

Last edited:

Lurch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2014
Central Florida
What type of battery are you using? If it is a variable voltage type you may have it set too high. Other than that, not sure. Hopefully someone who has experienced this will have a better answer. I have used EVOD's and ProTanks and have not experienced a burnt taste unless I have the voltage set too high.

Good luck!

madmartyr72

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2011
IN
Hello,

My first question(s) would be what voltage are you vaping at, and what ohms are your atty's? Chances are you are running anywhere between 1.5-2.0 ohms on your PT. Generally troubleshooting here, if you are constantly getting a burnt taste from your atty's, your either running the voltage too high or you have been very unlucky with dud atty's (it happens, sadly). Try turning your voltage down to see if the taste improves. Also, there is a chance that your juice could be the culprit (if you use juice from one vendor only). Let us know what you find and good luck. :)

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
If you're getting the burnt taste with a new coil, your voltage is too high. For me, almost every juice has a different voltage setting. Some taste better with lower voltage, some a bit higher.

On the EVOD - I tried them, could never get past the plastic/rubber taste. No matter what I did to get rid of it, I couldn't.

Last edited:

PennyLynn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2014
Rockledge, FL, USA
So many things come together to create an enjoyable vaping experience. Off the bat, yes, I'd try adjusting voltage if possible. Otherwise get another tank and start fresh.
Are you aware of vapers tongue? I have a terrible case...you're chugging water as you vape, I hope.
Try a strong flavor that won't get lost.
Let us know if any of these tips help, or when and if you overcome it.

madmartyr72

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2011
IN
Also, I would like to add, that when switching out an old atty with a brand new one, it's good practice to turn your voltage down from where you normally have it set. This will allow the new atty to gradually get broken-in. Popping a new atty on your PV with the voltage up high can instantly fry the atty, especially if it hasn't had a chance to wick properly first.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
The MVP is a great choice!

When you re-wick, are you using cotton? If so, realize that you should NEVER dry-burn with the cotton wick installed. You will burn the cotton (and get a burnt taste no matter what!)

Also, have you replaced the coil head? These have a rubber or plastic grommet in them which can burn if the coil gets too hot, and which can also affect the taste.

We've had good luck with the evods, I like the H5 clearos a bit better. You could also try a CE4-type or iClear16 (top-coil) for something different.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
I also use Evods, and sometime back I was getting that burnt plastic taste, too. I believe I read other posts on here about the grommets being different material. Comparing the newer ones to the ones I already had, I could tell they didn't look the same. I haven't had any trouble lately, though.

Like a couple of others posted, I would try a new tank device before changing batteries.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Do you get the same bad taste in the Evod and the PT2? Some flavors will eat away at the plastic of the Evod (and other plastic / polycarbonate tanks as well). Commonly called tank crackers, but the first indication may be a clouding of the tank.

Personally, I've found the PT2 mini to be very unforgiving of too high a voltage - but other than changing to a higher resistance coil, with the battery you have, you have no control over the power delivered. A VV or VV/VW battery may help there, and the MVP2 is a good choice.

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
My battery can't adjust voltage. It's an evod battery, not sure what the default voltage is.

Are there any reasonably sized/priced batteries that can be recommended? I am thinking about a Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0?

I feel like maybe I should stay away from kanger..

You might try its baby brother, the Itaste VV3. 101VApes has them for about $25. Great VV/VW mod and tough as nails. If you get something like that, check the little chart for that came with your Mini PT for correct voltages for the Ω coil you are using. If you run it in Watts, I find 6.5 to 7 watts usually does it for me.

jstjoehere

Jun 1, 2014
Wv, usa
Are you giving your wicks plenty of time to get soaked with juice after you install them? I have tried just putting them in and vaping and yes burnt taste bad sadly it seemed to never go away til I replaced the coils and let them sit for a few minutes and then used them. Other than that I would say to much voltage however you said your using a standard evod if I remember right. I could vape most juices around 4.3 volts on my variable without any issues. I build my own coils now and wick with cotton.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I would try a new tank device before changing batteries.

Yes, try a higher ohm coil. At full charge the Evod puts out 3.7V and about 3.5v under load.....so I would not suggest using a coil lower than 2.2ohms---you'll probably be vaping at about 6-8 watts. If you want a little cooler then you need to go to 2.4ohm coils which will put you closer to 5-5.20watts, might be better for you.

Since you can't adjust the battery voltage, let the juice sit in your BCC for at least a few minutes til the coils get soaked, I always do a few pulls iwth the battery off just to draw it up into atty coil too

Last edited:

madmartyr72

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2011
IN
The MVP is a great choice!

I also wanna second the MVP 2.0 as a great choice. For the cost, your looking at an APV that can't be beat in its class. It's vv and vw, has a built-in 2600mAh battery, has great build and performance, and if you get one from the Energy line (I have the Frost) it's sexy as hell! Lol. Right now, WORLDofVAPE - Best Vape - Best Price has them in stock for $42.95, which is close to $30 less than some places! If you have never ordered from WoV before, their prices are insanely cheaper than most other vendors, have great customer service, and have the fastest shipping I have ever seen! I rarely order anywhere else. :p

Last edited:

BockinBboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Illinois
Wow this thread had gone all over the place... It sounds like the OP has vapers tongue. The first time it happened to me, all my juices almost like plastic. Very off taste, and all the juices tasted the same except those with menthol and the menthol just seemed to cover up the plastic like taste. I had gone crazy trying to rebuild coils and wicks, switching tanks, and batteries... Found from this forum it was a common occurance to newer vapers. I wasn't new to vaping but I was to my brand new protank 3 and thug juice. Went through an entire tank in 3 hours or so I like it so much. I decided I needed to slow down, and switch back to my ego with a ce4, and it was like a switch turned off... Couldn't taste a thing other than the plastic tone for 6 days!

- Bboy

Last edited:

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
The rubber/silicon insulator causes the burning plastic/rubber smell.

If the insulator is white, it's rubber and the smell would be burning rubber.
If the insulator is translucent, it is probably silicon (but not necessarily) and the smell would be burning plastic and kinda flowery.

Even if the coils are using non resistant wires for the legs, it can still happen. The heat from the coil scorches the rubber/silicon as the insulator is pretty close to the coil. Taking the insulator out, you may not see any scorch marks, but you can definitely smell it.

Solution:
1) get some food grade silicon tubing from eBay (can't remember the diameter required) to replace the insulator. I read that kidneypuncher sells the insulators too. But I can't attest to the quality.
2) you'll have to coil your own coils, making sure that the coil does not seat too close to the insulator. However, if the coil is too high up, you will get leaks or gurgles.

Oh, and remember to soak all the parts with the burnt smell. It lingers, especially on the head where the coil sits.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
low ohm coil and high vg liquid on a silica wick with a fixed volt battery.

cotton rewick is one of the best things you can do.

1640100-1.jpg
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/edyle/6350-faq-1-what-tank-new-user.html
miniprotank2v2
standard workhorse tank.
- glass
- eGo thread
- changeable mouthpiece
- common, easy-to-find replacement coilhead.

- you can get an airflow-control base for it

- you can use the miniprotank's base on a protank but to fill the space you will need to add an extra silicone cap like this:
322234d1396504872-best-evod-set-up-today-img_20140403_headwithextracap.jpg

302467d1391538435-hello-everyone-img_20140204_141115.jpg

Protank on miniprotank eGo base.

- you can dryburn and/or rewick the coils easily:
Stop throwing away your protank coils – ITCVapes
protank_tutorial_9_grande.jpg

- you can recoil with kanthal:
attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread