RDA Help with coil build on ehpro valkyrie clone (Yes I know it's ancient...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazfem

Mar 3, 2017
Ok so I bought an ehpro valkyrie clone about 3 years ago but have been too scared of blowing myself up to go near it. I've dusted off the box and really want to give it a go (vaping it, not blowing myself up...). I have an ohm meter but of course the ehpro has a built in deck so this is useless. I have a multimeter but the red lead is broken so I can't use that. The batteries I have are either Sony vtc5 30A or Efest purple IMR 35A (which apparently is only a 20A rewrap).

My question is, is there any definite safe way I can build a coil for this without being able to double check the resistance? From my understanding the danger is when you build too low resistance for your battery or let the battery drain too low. Seeing as these are high amp batteries I'm thinking I should be safe with something thats not around the lower end, somewhere between 0.5 and 0.8 maybe. Also it probably would have to be single coil seeing as I may not get the 2 coils exactly the same without an ohm meter to test, is this right?

My materials are 30awg kanthal A1 and 2mm ekowool. I could grab some regular cotton balls if needed. I'm thinking a freehand wrap with the ekowool would be too risky without an ohm meter and that I'd have to wrap around something with a known width to gauge the resistance properly.

So could anyone give me some advice on how to build this or whether it's just too risky without a multimeter? I dont have any special tools but I have some drill bits.

I should say that I don't really mind what resistance coil it is as long as it's safe with those batteries. I'm not looking to do anything crazy I just want to test out a load of flavours I bought today and thought dripping would be the best way to go about it instead of having to keep filling tanks.

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,

Using 30AWG @ 2mm, an .8Ω coil is only 3 wraps.

Give Scott a watch and throw a test coil or five at it for fun. You will find your sweet spot.
sbe.JPG

Cheers
I

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
There is no definitive way to know if a build is safe without an ohm meter of some sort. Do you have a regulated mod you could build it on first?

And you are always going to use something to wrap a coil on: Screw driver, drill bit, mandrel, whatever.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Chazfem

Mar 3, 2017
There is no definitive way to know if a build is safe without an ohm meter of some sort. Do you have a regulated mod you could build it on first?

And you are always going to use something to wrap a coil on: Screw driver, drill bit, mandrel, whatever.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

I have a Lyche rba but it's a totally different deck and looks kinda complicated. I guess i'll check out some vids on it and try that out. Well i've heard of freehand wraps that you just wrap around the ekowool instead of making them first then threading in cotton or whatever you're using. I'm not sure it's possible to thread ekowool into coils it looks too thick, it would be very difficult anyways.

I tried a dual coil buil on the ehpro anyway, I used cotton and it tastes really horrible and the vapor's not great either. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Thanks, I actually did watch this vid already. I guess he didn't check on an ohm meter either.
The 32 or 30 AWG will only take about 10 amps (if that) before they pop.
Try an 8 wrap single coil of 30AWG (use the pin/paperclip in the ecko tecnique). Not too tight, not too loose,
In the past I have had horrible flavour from some eckowool and was torching it prior to use to clean it up a bit.
Adjust air hole to be even/aligned with coil, coil about 1 or 1.5 mm above the deck. Dry fire the coils/ecko to confirm they heat evenly, adjust coils and wick to correct tight spots/wire not in contact with wick.
Juice the coil/wick and fire for about as long as you plan to inhale, confirm that the wick stays wet and NO wire glows (legs are prime suspects) for the duration.

Good luck
I

Chazfem

Mar 3, 2017
The 32 or 30 AWG will only take about 10 amps (if that) before they pop.
Try an 8 wrap single coil of 30AWG (use the pin/paperclip in the ecko tecnique). Not too tight, not too loose,
In the past I have had horrible flavour from some eckowool and was torching it prior to use to clean it up a bit.
Adjust air hole to be even/aligned with coil, coil about 1 or 1.5 mm above the deck. Dry fire the coils/ecko to confirm they heat evenly, adjust coils and wick to correct tight spots/wire not in contact with wick.
Juice the coil/wick and fire for about as long as you plan to inhale, confirm that the wick stays wet and NO wire glows (legs are prime suspects) for the duration.

Good luck
I

I did do an 8 wrap (1.5mm) but did a dual coil build. I used regular shop bought 100% cotton and I hear that you have to break that in a bit flavor wise. Thanks for the info I'll give this a whirl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread