Help with ego twist & mini protank 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new system after 2 years of using V2. ego twist 900 mah and unicorn blood juice. I don't know pg/vg levels, the bottle doesn't say.

I'm getting a burnt taste, only on higher voltage or only when I take a second puff. I have to wait awhile, then I can vape one more time. I like chain vaping and I really liked the higher voltage setting. I've searched and tried a few of the solutions: changing coil unit to a fresh one, flipping rubber stopper, lightly blowing air into mouthpiece. None of this has worked.

I'm disappointed and frustrated so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
Might try removing one of the flavor wicks. There are two on the top of the wicks. Just pull one out with tweezers. Or you can take that round stick thing off by wiggling it back and forth and pulling on it and you'll get a better idea of where the two wicks are. Then remove one and put the stick thingy back on. See if that helps.

EL Pistoffo

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
S. FL
Be careful with the removal of flavor wicks method, it caused my mini-Protank to flood. I too have your same setup and was disappointing with the mini-Protank. What finally improved it to a usable level for me was replacing the awful silica wicks with cotton. Huge difference. I also plugged one of the three air holes by breaking off the tip of a toothpick in it to make the draw less airy.

Just youtube for a cotton protank to see how its done. Swapping out the wicks are pretty easy.

IMG_20131127_184826_012.jpg
So with tweezers I can just pull off the top wick or is the coil wrapped around both wicks? Also, is the coil black or are my wicks already ruined?

I would switch to a higher ohm coil. The pt mini if like rest come with 1.8 and 2.2 I think. Switch to the 2.2. Unicorn blood is good and is thin enough for not removing a flavor wick.
Sorry, but this is frustrating. The system I bought doesn't have a good enough coil? And according to EL Pistoffo cotton wicks work better. Do they sell the coil units with the better coils and cotton wicks?

I only use the lower voltage because of this issue. I'm pretty amazed that the product I purchased doesn't work. At least my low tech cheap V2 never had me dissecting it and replacing parts to get it functional.

Can someone please comment on my picture? I don't want to ruin the coil head when there are so many people experienced with building and replacing parts on here. Thank you~

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
There are two pieces of unattached wicks on top of the coils. Take just one out. Save it just in case you get flooding after putting the top back on. It's fine if the wire is black, just as long as it's not all gunked up. If it is, you can try soaking in hot water, then dry burning. Google for how to clean Protank heads and you'll get several videos on how to do it.

Protank heads come in 1.8 and 2.2 ohms. I get that burnt taste if the voltage is too high so you might need to turn it down. I've never used Unicorn Blood but usually sweeter, darker juices tend to burn easier and I keep my eGo voltage on the lower end.

View attachment 277448
So with tweezers I can just pull off the top wick or is the coil wrapped around both wicks? Also, is the coil black or are my wicks already ruined?

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
Really, you shouldn't have to take out the wick and/or replace it with cotton. But that's the way the heads are made. I've never been able to turn up the voltage on any Protank without burnt taste. I usually have them set to the lowest voltage or a line up from that. When I change to a carto tank, I can crank it up to max voltage without any burnt taste.

I only use the lower voltage because of this issue. I'm pretty amazed that the product I purchased doesn't work. At least my low tech cheap V2 never had me dissecting it and replacing parts to get it functional.

Can someone please comment on my picture? I don't want to ruin the coil head when there are so many people experienced with building and replacing parts on here. Thank you~

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
You're welcome. You might still want to look into dry burning as this will extend the life of the heads. Then at the same time, there are videos on rebuilding the coils. If you can rebuild them, it's a bit cheaper than buying new ones all the time. Some people use cotton for wicks, either cotton yarn or from a cotton ball. I don't have much experience with cotton wick material but there are several threads on the subject on this forum.

I tend to vape the sweeter, darker juices and they really gunk up the coils quickly. I can only get two or three days out of a coil with some juices. Other juices, like menthols, I can use the same coil for a month.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
Really, you shouldn't have to take out the wick and/or replace it with cotton. But that's the way the heads are made. I've never been able to turn up the voltage on any Protank without burnt taste. I usually have them set to the lowest voltage or a line up from that. When I change to a carto tank, I can crank it up to max voltage without any burnt taste.

I can run my Pro Tank 2 at the highest for days with no problems, but the mini always gets burnt running at peak on a Spinner, I have to crank it back a notch to keep it from burning, but I don't have to set it that low.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
The tank design (Mini Protank vs Protank) should not have any affect on taste. In both tanks, the coil is completely immersed in e-juice.

I imagine the difference is in coil resistance.

I said the Mini-Protank comes with 2.5 heads, but I'm pretty sure that it's my vendor sells the kits at the 2.5 ohm level.

The Mini-Protanks were designed to be used on Ego type batteries. Thus it's most likely the kits on these shipped with lower ohms to work better with the eGo-T fixed voltage batteries. The Protanks are 510 threaded devices and are most likely sold with 2.5 ohm heads.

I suggest you protank and then the mini with the same head. It should have the same performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread