Help with first ejuice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfeTX

Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
whitney, texas
Hello, so the wife and i are going to give this a try.
We are both 30+ year smokers and want to change over.
Hardware wise i think i know what we are going to get. Ego batteries (1100 or 1300) and ether the ce5 no wick or the mt3 bottom coil.
Found both sets on ebay for about 35 bucks each. Probly pick up a couple of pass through ones also for at the desk time.

The real question i cant find answers for is the juice.
We are a myo (make your own) smokers. We get paid once a month so i bulk buy a silver (light) tobacco and use light 100 tubes.
I want a juice that comes close in taste (i know none will be very close) and close in nic levels (we plan to slowly ween our selfs down in the nic levels).
Since we are used to lights. I guess we want something with a light throat hit? But plenty of vaper production.
We just are not sure how to find what we want. We are very remote so we cant just pop into some place and try some out.

We tried a couple of the blu disposable ones in tobacco flavor. The taste was good andwe likedit but it was like takign a drag off a full flavor cig and made us cough a lot until we learned to take smaller drags. We would really like to NOT have to take small drags while vaping.

Does nic level effect how strong it taste?
What is throat hit really? Is that the strength (lights verses full flavor cigs)?
I i understand some about vg and pg. I read vg is more vap less flavor and vice versa for pg. Is this right?
What would be best for us to start out with?

I am looking at setting us up for a month right out the gate. We normally spend 160 bucks on tobacco and tubes so that is my budget the smaller the better.
So 35 kits at 35 bucks each 70 bucks
a couple of 5 packs of replacement heads 10 bucks
and juice. I have found some 16oz bottles for about 60 bucks. This is where i need help on type to order.

I know we smoke a LOT roughly 15 cartoons a month for the 2 of us.
I am unsure of how much juice we will end up using and i just want to make sure we have enough to get thru the month on. Because if we dont we are SOL till the next month.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!!

Cactus Breath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
AZ
I'm not a big tobacco juice guy, but I can highly recommend "H1N1" from Nicoticket. One of his initial descriptions of it was "a Marlboro Light crossed with a Snickers bar". I've been vaping it tonight and although the flavor is more complex than that, I'd say that's a good description to start with. Vapor production at 50/50 pg/vg is excellent and IMO the throat hit is pretty smooth - definitely not a choker. He does use a natural tobacco extract in his juice as opposed to just tobacco flavoring. As a heavy smoker, you could try either 18mg or 24mg nicotine strength - I'd probably recommend starting out with 18 and going up if necessary. I smoked about a pack and a half a day before I quit, and the H1N1 at 18mg does the trick for me and then some! I can't really advise on how much liquid you might need - guessing at a usage rate of around 4-5 ml per day each, that would be about 240-300 ml/month (so 5-6 50ml bottles).

Their online store is closed right now, but they're planning to reopen some time next week. IMO, their juice is well worth the wait! (Disclaimer: no affiliation with Nicoticket other than being a very satisfied customer).

TheRock

Unregistered Supplier
Aug 7, 2013
Shreveport, LA
I would recommend a bottom coil setup like the Kanger EVOD or a Vivi Nova dual coil. You may want to look into a variable voltage setup like iTaste VV with a Mini Kanger Pro 2 or Smok Aro Pyrex. You'll have to see what voltage makes your ejuice "perfect" based on your taste profile through out the day. I highly recommend glass tanks especially with ejuices that may crack plastic.

Start at 12mg to see if that makes you cough then go higher. Here is a great resource for reviews and recommendation on ejuice and e-cig devices: TasteYourJuice.com

Once you feel comfortable with e-cigs, you may look into DIY.

Hope this helps.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Your biggest expenses getting started into vaping will be incured during the first 2 - 3 months as you acquire your batteries, charger, juice delivery devices, and your initial e-liquid. Once you have those items, nearly all of your expenses will be solely on replacement e-juice at that point thereafter.

Most e-liquid vendors will allow the option to choose the ratio of Pg and Vg when you make your order online. Since you seem aware that Pg gives the most flavor and Vg gives the most vapor production, you'll want to have your mix with the majority of it being Vg. Don't worry about an exact ratio as it won't matter that much. Just understand that the more Vg that is in the juice the thicker the juice will be which "might" cause some wicking issues with most juice delivery devices.

Nicotine percentage will affect the throat hit of a juice. More nic will cause more throat hit, which you may interpret as "harsh". However, realize that with nicotine in vapor it is not necessary to "inhale" to absorb the nicotine - most is absorbed in the mouth and nose. It is also common for new vapors to find the vapor to be harsh and to cause coughing; it took you time to adjust to cigarette smoke when you started smoking and it will take your body time to adjust to vapor. Start slow, with baby steps. Gradually over time inhale more of the vapor, and before long you'll be able to take deep puffs like a cigarette.

Most vapors consume 3 - 5 ml of e-liquid per day. Figure your monthly quota of e-liquid on that statistic. I recommend sampling smaller sizes of different flavors until you find a couple of flavors that you like, then order more in larger sizes later. It's difficult to make an unbiased recommendation of flavors or vendors as taste is so subjective in vaping. I do suggest not to necessarily focus on tobacco flavors, but to try a variety. There are fruit, coffee, desert, candy, etc in addition to tobacco flavors. Most of us find that we want nothing to do with the old cigarette flavor we once enjoyed once we have quit analogs.

Last edited:

Choc_Addic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Caldicote tunnel
First off, I think that the system you mentioned is fine.... But if you can wait (or not) check into Fasttech. You can get them for much much less.
As far as tanks go , Mt3 is fine choice and are same as EVOD (Such similer devices but different looks are as follows : MT4, EVOD, T32, T3, T3s, T4, X6S , REM, V2 , KWX6 , X9 Protank, KWX5, etc.) Get some extra heads (replacement, extra CE5 if you choose). Always have at least 2 spares ready to go. And 2 spare batteries at the least.

Juices, depends. As people like this and some don't. And your taste changes. So, Get smaller bottles at the start and get more when you find what you like.

Goodluck and congrads

KnurledNut

Moved On
Aug 15, 2013
Marineland
My wife and I are very new at this (3 days) as well. We made our own smokes as well from 5 pound bags of Virginia blend. I will share the same advice that was given to me last week.

Get a juice sampler. Don't get too much quantity of any one flavor. We got a 10 juice sampler from vape dojo. So far it's been interesting trying the flavors. I did the tobacco flavor first...it was so-so. Then the black cherry tobacco...so-so again. Even though I was never a menthol smoker, the menthol juice was very tasty. Very light...slightly minty and nice throat hit. The I tried the cinnamon, which is my favorite so far. The wife likes the caramel mocha and the berry. We have other samples coming as well.

Personally and psychologically I don't want a flavor that reminds me of smoking. It was a 36 year nasty habit.

Because we were heavy smokers...2 ppd...we went with the 24mg nicotine juice. I find it's just right for now. We can always taper down later.

We started with this:

dojo-order.jpg

Last edited:

WBB0

Jul 28, 2013
US
The juice is definitely the hard part. Spending $60 on any juice you haven't already tasted is very likely a waste of money. Even the most highly rated juice from the very best vendors may be totally disgusting for you. There are way too many variables that cannot be accounted for until you figure out what you like. You'll want to buy a lot of small bottles from different vendors rather than one huge bottle of something you can't stand.

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
If you are looking for inexpensive but great quality juice, try Mount Baker Vapor. Just got my first order and cannot believe how good they are. I love my Protank 2 (glass tank). Throat hit, to me, is a combination of nicotine level, percentage of pg/vg (I like 50/50 at 1.8% nicotine as a former pipe smoker) quality of the juice and the voltage that you vape with. I find that the higher the voltage, the more throat hit you get from it. Finally, battery type has a HUGE role in quality of vapor. I am waiting for the Innokin iTaste MVP 2 variable wattage device to become more available (love the box-like shape). Currently using a vision style twist variable voltage battery and find them very uneven in performance.

Nu2Dis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Jersey Shore, NJ, USA
If you have any local B&M shops near you, stop in. The few in my area let you taste the flavors. If you find one you like, you can buy it there, or find a cheaper supplier on-line.

Since you roll your own stogies, you may want to look into DIY, once you're settled in. You can by large quantities for very little investment and vape for a long time.

Good luck on your Journey. This Forum has been a great tool for learning. Where else could you go to get so many different opinions on the same question?

BobbyQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2013
Houston
I'm new here too, but here's my take on things.. I'll try to make it simple..

Nic level.. Full flavor would be- 24mg-kinda harsh throat hit...
Med strength would be 16-18mg
Light or ultra light would be 6-12mg=
Smooth throat hit - no choking.

More pg=more throat hit/more harsh/more flavor
More vg= more vapor/less throat hit.

My personal preference is somewhere between 70/30 or 50/50 pg/vg

Nic level for me, around 12-18mg ..(I smoked Marlboro reds for many years).

Hope that helps.. And if any veteran vapers disagree, please feel free to correct me.
Also check out ecblend, they have pretty good prices, $2.50 for 5ml samples you can configure any way imaginable, and if you venture into DIY, look up wizard labs.us

Last edited:

WolfeTX

Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
whitney, texas
Thanks for all the replies guys!! yall are being a big help!
I am convinced now to go with a sampler pack type of thing maybe.
I did find a smoke/vap shop semi local in waco that i think we may make the 80 mile round trip for payday for the juice to start with. They say you can try before you buy.

BobbyQ.. Many thanks thats some info that really helps about the nic levels and throat hit!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Don't get a huge bottle of any juice until you've tried it. Yes, cheaper in big bottles, but not if you can't stand vaping it! Samplers are the way to go, since you can't get to a B&M for a vape bar session.

After 45 years of pack a day "full flavor" (last few years of RYO pipe tobacco...), I found 18 mg wasn't enough, 24 did the trick for me. (Tapering off over time, now at 18...)

You also might want to consider a VV or VW battery, which lets you tune the vape to your liking. And you can adjust for variances in the actual coil resistance. The Vamo is a reasonable choice.

Like Bad says, the first couple of months, getting the hardware in order, may be a bit over your usual smoke budget, but after that - unless you jump on the "oooh, coooool, gotta have it!" path, will be just juice and replacement parts.

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
I'll second what Baditude said about nicotine strength-- lower nic will be milder. I suggest 12mg, which is a mid-range strength.

As for hardware, it's hard to beat the value of an Ego Twist. I vape a Provari most of the time but still regularly use a Twist with an EVOD clearomizer with a low-nic juice for an evening vape (too much nic interferes with getting to sleep).

I'm primarily a tobacco flavors fan. Here's a few of the smoother liquids you might try, from least to most expensive:

Dekang Mild Seven

GoodEJuice Wranger Light

Halo Turkish Tobacco

BTW, I've never discovered a really cheap tobacco liquid which was also good-tasting. Those "bargain" liquids turned out to be wasted money.

Last edited:
Pack and a half Marlboro Reds per day to none now that I'm vaping. I started out with tobacco flavors @ 18mg nic level. Now, like KnurledNut above, I don't even want to be reminded of that old nasty habit so I'm enjoying lots of different flavors (@12mg now). It's all about finding what you like. I hate some of the flavors my wife is wild about and vice-versa. Don't give up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread