help with multimeter(ohms)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingerri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NW Indiana
i just got my supplies to start rebuilding ce5's. i zeroed out my ohms meter, and tested a ce5 that is working on pv. shows .05. i was like hmmm. put it to volts and check battery(just to play with meter) battery checks out at 3.7 as expected. put back to ohms and next tested a cartomizer thinking its easier to find right parts to put the lead to. it also shows .05, what am i doing wrong for testing ohms. want to get this figured out before i need to start rebuilding, don't want to blow my pv. btw putting red lead on positive connection where it touched battery, and neg on threads that screw into battery.

ingerri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NW Indiana

ingerri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NW Indiana
You have to hold the leads onto the carto very, very still. I found it best to hold the leads right to the wires rather than the casing, at least on my Nova heads. Make sure you're measuring the positive wire with the red lead too, that can make a difference depending on how your gear is wired.

I tried with head attached and with head only. and yes red=+ black=- but its not only the stardust ones the regular cartos don't give reading either

jlew

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2012
WV, USA
jspcrepair.angelfire.com
Set Multimeter to value of 200 Ohm

Zero Multimeter:

100_1906.jpg

Remember the number you get - in this case = 0.5

Place leads inside carto/atty, touching the proper place:
(this is hard to do with one hand - lol - luckily, the +Pos lead fits
right into the center hole in the bottom of the +Pos post.)

100_1907.jpg

Subtract amount in Zeroing test (Photo 1) from total (Photo 2)

In my case, the Vision 2.0 (V3) in the photo is showing a total Ohm reading of 2.6 Ohm

The heads I buy are generally 2.4 Ohm -- in this case, the meter was jumping a bit from
movement between 2.9 and 3.1 because I was working with only one hand so I could take
the pics with the other hand.

These cheaper Multi's can show a misreading of .2 to .6 anyway.

All in all, this reading is pretty accurate -- the head is marked as a 2.4Ω and I got 2.6Ω
in the reading.

Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread