Help with new Taifun GS from fasttech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey.al

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Ohio
Hello, I recently received my taifun GS and am using it on an itaste v3.0. I followed a YouTube video on how to use and build this atomizer BUT I keep getting terrible dry hits tasting of scorched cotton!! What is going on, please help.

This is the video I follows exatcly, right down to the 1.1 ohm coil.http://youtu.be/HFw4RfJVEPI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
You are having wicking issues due to too much cotton. The GS needs a really thin wick, and the thicker your eliquid is, the thinner the wicks need to be. Don't forget that cotton expands when it gets wet.

From my experience, the GS wicks best with e liquid ratios of 50/50 and below. In spite of the 1.1 ohm build demonstrated, I also think the GS wicks better at higher resistance, above 1.5 ohm.

She is a little bish to get the wicking right, but when you do, it is a really nice, tasty vape. :)

Last edited:

Hey.al

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Ohio
Ok check this out.. I just built 5 or 6 coils and everyone was burnt nasty. So, I decided to try one more thing. I wrapped my coil and did not use a torch on it. Then secured it to the posts and did not dry fire it. And, it tastes perfect!! Is it possible that torching the coil was making it taste bad????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
She is a little bish to get the wicking right, but when you do, it is a really nice, tasty vape. :)

Nikkita nailed it there! Its a bit fiddly but its awesome once you get it. I don't use cotton in the transfer holes, I use rolled stainless steel like a genesis wick leading down to the cotton wick. I also find it wicks better if you torch the steel. The great thing is once you get it right, you rarely need to replace the steel wicks, just the cotton below.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
Nikkita nailed it there! Its a bit fiddly but its awesome once you get it. I don't use cotton in the transfer holes, I use rolled stainless steel like a genesis wick leading down to the cotton wick. I also find it wicks better if you torch the steel. The great thing is once you get it right, you rarely need to replace the steel wicks, just the cotton below.

I was thinking about giving this wicking method a go, so I think I will do that. When I first got the big Taifun GT, I used ss mesh for the build, and it was a nice vape.

So thanks for reminding me of this wicking method! :)

AntC

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2014
United States
I use cotton, but for a little while I used ekowool for my wick and coil, and cotton from the tank down to the ekowool/coil. It worked great. Went back to just cotton though, better taste imo. But I had that same problem, and found that it takes alot less cotton than you'd think. I have so little goin up/down through the holes that I'm surprised it doesn't leak or flood, but it doesn't. I'd try experimenting with less cotton and see if you can make it work, because once you find the "sweet spot" it vapes awesome, one of my faves for sure.

Ease

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2010
Middle Tennessee
Here's the manual.
https://shop.strato.de/WebRoot/Store11/Shops/61925514/MediaGallery/Taifun_GS_-_User_Manual.pdf

Try the first build but with cotton instead of silica. It should look like this:
2014-05-12 11.09.06.jpg
2014-05-12 11.10.45.jpg

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
What the heck?? I took this picture directly from the owner manual posted above. What is with this coil??? Should I really be rolling such a loose coil??
a8emema2.jpg

Yeah that's a pretty ugly coil, but you can't under estimate this type of coil....see VapeHappy's sleeper coil on youtube. Any way there's a lot of debate about micro vs spiral coils. I use both and both preform well. Most of the coils I build are the spiral coil either wrapped directly on the wick or using a 4-40 machine screw or on 2mm machine screw, various wraps with various wire. I use Peaches and Cream yarn and silica for the coil wick. But I have found the Taifun Gs preforms better for me using the ss mesh in the two feed holes. I have used cotton and got it to work that way also, just seem to have better luck with ss mesh, especially with high vg. I roll it tight enough to just drag down through the holes with just a little resistance and leave a hole in the center of it about the size of 28 or 30 ga kanthal. Gotta let the juice get in there or you end up with dry hits, too much and you can flood it. Once you find that sweet spot, the Taifun becomes a vaping and flavor machine. Just keep at it and you will be rewarded. Just my opinion. Hope you find that sweet spot. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread