Status
Not open for further replies.

skimmer02

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2014
Leander,TX,USA
Here's how I set up my Taifun GT.
Pull the center pin and grommet out.
Install a vertical coil directly over the air hole, I usually run a microcoil at anywhere from 1.3 to 1.8 ohm.
Wick with cotton, two strips, one on each side (outside) of the vertical coil, tailing them out the gates. Wet them with juice and poke them in around the coil for good coil contact, make sure the barrel of the coil is not blocked at top or bottom. You can leave your bit in the coil while you set it and wick it. This keeps the coil dead centered over the hole (you've dropped one end of the bit in the hole) and helps keep wicking clear of the hole.
If it gets gurgley, add a little wick into each gate, but only into the gate, just a little piece on each side only into the gate. Alternatively, when you wick, double your tail back into the gate.
I like it.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Hmm. What If I don't have that mesh? Can I use cotton instead oto go through holes? Also, how does this thing work anyways?? Should the coil be placed between the posts closer to that hole protruding from the base or high up?? The two posts and the protruding hole can be seen in this pic.
u4uju5e9.jpg

You can feed cotton through the holes. You don't need mesh, I just find it works better. I personally keep the coil bottom level with the posts. Another thing I do is pack the base with cotton. It give it a wetter vape which I like. Build the coil, thread the wick and lift it up. Now put on the metal base and pack it with cotton, not tight, just filled. Thread the wick through the holes and enjoy. The wick through the holes should be thin so it doesn't expand and clog.

CorallineAlgae

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Washington, LA
Here's the manual.
https://shop.strato.de/WebRoot/Store11/Shops/61925514/MediaGallery/Taifun_GS_-_User_Manual.pdf

Try the first build but with cotton instead of silica. It should look like this:
View attachment 337507
View attachment 337510

This was such a helpful post. Thank you thank you thank you for adding the link to the user manual as well as your pictures. I've had a GS for quite a while and every single YouTube video just made working with this atty a nightmare. You are a credit to the community. Now maybe I'll be able to enjoy a decent vape from this thing.

As a side note, I find it best to store the Taifun GS upside down, with the drip tip removed, if it's full of eliquid and you don't plan on vaping it for a few days. That prevents any chance of juice leaking out of the air hole slowly over time.

CorallineAlgae

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Washington, LA
Try the first build but with cotton instead of silica. It should look like this:
View attachment 337507
View attachment 337510

I just setup my GS exactly as you showed in your pictures and it's so much better than before. Night and day!

I used 28 gauge kanthal and made a 1.6Ω microcoil wicked with cotton. I also cut the bottom of the mesh "feeder wick" at a 45° angle as shown in the manual. Works beautifully. Thanks again. I had pretty much given up on this thing.

we87

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
DFW, TX
To everyone who used a single piece of cotton, and it worked, please let us know how big the wicking holes are in your wicking cap.

I'm pretty sure the reason it works for some people and not others is the difference from one clone to another. I'm still having issues with mine. It was a gift and bought from a local B&M and has no logos so I'm not sure who makes it. But, like everyone has said here: SS Mesh feeder wicks did work for me. But I can't for the life of me get the single cotton method to work without scorching the cotton.

Also, taken from a user suggestion on Reddit, longer mesh straws worked better for me than the little short stubs for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we87

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
DFW, TX
Mesh feeders is what did it for me. Personally I am not going to experiment further with an all-cotton setup, of that I see no point.

Am I crazy to think I'm getting a different taste from the GS vs like a GT for example with cotton? I feel the stainless adds another kind if taste from the same juices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread