Help with putting back in a Magma clone post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
Is there an epoxy or glue weld type material that can be used to hold a press fit post back in that also conducts electrical current? If so what is the name of it, where to get it etc. Thanks for any assistance as this was a really good clone until it was dropped while the top was removed on a mod by someone trying it.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
If the clone is like mine (fasttech decent one) then the press fit post is not really a press fit post. It looks that way, but it is held in place by the bottom screw which goes through the 'press fit' plastic bit and screws in to the metal boot part of the post.

When mine arrived the post was loose and I had to keep pushing it back in to the press fit part, it leaked and kept popping out until I held it down and used a proper screwdriver (not the little blue ones you get free) to screw in the bottom screw.

If that doesn't work then post some pictures please...

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
My positive post is press fitted in the positive block. Where did it break, if it did actually break and didn't just come out? Pictures? Manufacturer?

If the positive post just fell out, just make sure it's lined up correctly, and hammer it back in.

Yes it just came out but no need to hammer as it simply goes in all the way and turns when tightening up the screw to install a coil. This is why I though perhaps an epoxy glue or some kind of metal glue would work. I have some epoxy glue I've used to hold metal to metal which works real well but don't know about the conductivity of it.

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
If the clone is like mine (fasttech decent one) then the press fit post is not really a press fit post. It looks that way, but it is held in place by the bottom screw which goes through the 'press fit' plastic bit and screws in to the metal boot part of the post.

When mine arrived the post was loose and I had to keep pushing it back in to the press fit part, it leaked and kept popping out until I held it down and used a proper screwdriver (not the little blue ones you get free) to screw in the bottom screw.

If that doesn't work then post some pictures please...

It is the Infinity Magma Clone which as I said has been great until I dropped it. The pin is a press fit with no screws and figure the only thing that might hold it tight is epoxy or solder perhaps. I think it would need to be a bit conductive but I'm not sure if that matters either. Since I don't know which side is positive and negative as both terminals look the same.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Found my voltage meter (moving at the moment) and tested the posts. It turns out the one that came loose is the negative so would assume this one could be epoxied fairly easily. If you aren't familar with the Magma it has a plastic insulator between the two posts.

Remove the Positive Screw/post/insulators before working on the Negative Post. Best to Clean and silver solder as epoxy will reduce conductivity.

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Remove the Positive Screw/post/insulators before working on the Negative Post. Best to Clean and silver solder as epoxy will reduce conductivity.

Removing the insulator is no problem with a loose post as is simply sits on the base and fits between the two posts with double C type cutouts. I was thinking just put an epoxy or some other type metal to metal glue that would conduct. I don't have the means at this time to silver solder it and then not sure if I could get the insulator back in if I did. I may just have to buy another to fix this as it appears now and be thankful it was a clone at this point. The picture below shows how it looks for those that seem to not understand it.

Infinite Magma RDA.jpg

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Removing the insulator is no problem with a loose post as is simply sits on the base and fits between the two posts with double C type cutouts. I was thinking just put an epoxy or some other type metal to metal glue that would conduct. I don't have the means at this time to silver solder it and then not sure if I could get the insulator back in if I did. I may just have to buy another to fix this as it appears now and be thankful it was a clone at this point. The picture below shows how it looks for those that seem to not understand it.

View attachment 359313

Yea, FT has the 1:1 for $15.xx and another for $12
Been using mine quite a bit the last few days.

If you cannot solder it, order a replacement. Any jeweler should be able to fix it but probably as expensive as a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread