Help with RDA taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
I got a narda clone and couldn't for the life of me get any flavour out of it. Then I built a small 2mm coil, 5 wraps and built it a bit lower than I was doing.

Suddenly its whistling like a banshee but tastes amazing.

I think building is a lot of experimenting, which I now seem to enjoy.

Every Saturday is build and wick day.

Dont give up, it gets easier and you'll hit that sweet spot soon.

Joe-L

Mar 31, 2018
Thanks I bought a small pack of 8 different coils with 6 of each so I'm gona use all of these over the next couple months trying it slightly different each time and keeping a log with photos etc if I can't get a good set up after that Then I'll be seeking some help from a local shop or someone who has experiance on this deck.

Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
As a low power, MTL vaper, I prefer single, simple round wires, and I mainly use SS since I can use in power or wattage mode.

"Power" and "wattage" are the same animal, silly. You meant power and TC. :p

@Joe-L ...I'll bet you'd be better (and cheaper) wrapping your own coils than you're giving yourself credit for. And get fantastic flavor with a big cloud. Try this:

Get some 26 gauge SS316L wire and a 1/8 inch drill bit. Wrap the wire 12 times around the bit and do it twice for a dual coil build. Mount and wick the coils in the Rabbit the same way you did the exotics.

You can push that build at 75-ish Watts and the flavor will blow you away. I like dual builds with a little less wire: 8-10 wraps and somewhere just south of 50 Watts.

Try it. Betcha can do it. :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes you should clean any new tank.. If you dry-fired your wire on an ohm's reader most of any machining oil and whatnot should have burned off.

You don't have to "vape" your way out of a bad machining oil situation. I so hate the taste of it. You can strip down most of your tank to clean it. As far as the RBA base, You can remove your wick, dunk the sucker (including your coil in some everclear or whatever safe cleaning agent you want to use, and scrub at it and the posts with a toothbrush, and rinse well. That should get rid of any trace "gunk" that may have built up or any machining oil on the deck as well (I'd have a pretty good scrub at areas near/around your coil to really clean it). Then you can dry fire your coil again to get rid of any further gunk and rewick and then refill. Voila!

It's not going to be exactly the same as cleaning the entire thing from the outset and you risk your coil coming loose if you are too "vigorous" as it were, but I'm betting it's mostly the tank.

Sometimes machining oil can really "cling" to a tank and mess up your flavor for a long time, and I'm taking maybe 10-15 tankfuls, possibly, depending in what state it arrived in.

I don't know if that's your entire reason for "off" flavor, but given you didn't wash the tank to begin with, I would probably start there.

Wire (for the most part) seems to have less to no machining oil, a bit like drop in coils. There may be traces of something on there, but as you fire your coil, any trace "extra" stuff on there should be dissipated fairly quickly and usually once you dry fire your build after you mount it, You're really dry firing to check the build (usually) but any machine oil should be burnt off in the process of test firing and strumming your coils so they glow evenly.

So, yes, I would clean your tank now, especially if you are getting funky/off tastes machining oil cannot be good for the lungs, I'd imagine.

I clean my tanks whether I note machine oil on them or not. All kinds of things can happen during the manufacturing process.

I certainly didn't know to do that as a new vaper, but I have learned :) An ultrasonic cleaner can be great for tanks if you want something "easy" although the same results can be achieved with dawn, a toothbrush and a good rinse.

Anna

Reactions: CagedSpam

Joe-L

Mar 31, 2018
Thanks I believe we have a ultrasonic cleaner for baby dummies etc from when my sister had her child a few years ago so I'll go at it with a toothbrush and them drop it in there see of that fixes the issue, would I be ok to remove the coils and then resit them or could that have a worse outcome than just gently cleaning it with them on it?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you have the skill to reseat the coil (IDK your tank, and how difficult it is once you trim the wire) you could probably just leave the wire on there. Whether it will loosen during the process, I have no idea. But it shouldn't "harm" the coils to wash everything in your UC, and if something comes loose, then worst case, you have to try and get it reseated, and/or change coils. I'd say it will most likely be fine, for the coil itself (although I don't say that with 100% confidence but I don't see an issue). I mean, your coil swims around in wamish liquid most of the time anyway. I'd think the worst thing that would happen would be your build dislodges. But, if it's well seated that shouldn't be a problem anyway, probably.

If you think you will have no problem reattaching the coil later, you can remove it but you probably don't have to. Etc.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Fidola13

Joe-L

Mar 31, 2018
So iv been fiddling for a bit now and iv found what I think was the problem, iv repositioned the coils closer to the airflow intake and wicked them tighter to create a barrier to separate the air more I think the problem was before the distance between the coils and the airflow with a looser wick was allowing more air through instead of smoke and masking the flavour.
Thanks everyone who has helped me with solving this for those who have this tank who might have a similar problem try adjusting your coils as close to the outside of the deck as possible without shorting on the side and then use about half airflow I'll upload some photos soon to help show what I mean.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
As a low power, MTL vaper, I prefer single, simple round wires, and I mainly use SS since I can use in power or wattage mode.

It is certainly true that if you want a more exotic build or wire, making your own coils can become more cumbersome, with that said, if you look into less exotic coils, building them can be not so difficult.

With your setup though, you probably want a balance, and I'd say moving your resistance higher could give you more flavor and less wattage. Exotic coils are also in some ways a trade off, they tend to have more "mass" but also more surface area. More surface area will definitely give you more vapor as a) more mass tends to produce more vapor, sometimes more flavor too but not always) and will also require more wattage to "heat" the metal in your tank than a simple round build.

Not knowing exactly what you are using and it is indeed true that airflow, type of tank and etc all play a role, I'd say keep trying different builds and resistances (including some simple round wires) and keep track of what you try as you move through different coil and wire types. You may find a "flavor" sweet spot with your equipment, or you may find you do slightly better with some different equipment. I started out vaping sub0hm this time, but small, mouth to lung atomizers and more simple wire builds are where flavor shines- for me-- not necessarily anyone else. My discoveries(s) came by trying out various equipment though, so I'd encourage you to continue to experiment, as each build is going to teach you about what you "like" and "don't like." You may find "joy" at some point, with your current gear, or you may need something a bit different.

But, either way, you will be learning about your preferences, and building your vaping skills so ,keep at it, and approach it as a kind of exciting adventure of a sort.

My personal vape nirvana was strewn with the wrong gear to get there... .And my own personal coil building was liberally strewn with "failed" coils.... LOL. And I still met with success. It was actually sort of useful to keep my mind OFF smoking, too, so I don't really consider my experiments "failed" as they all got me to where I needed to be.

Best of luck, and have fun!

Anna
When i first started making coils, i would twist clapton wire to make some awesome, gnarly looking coils. These worked wonderfully too. But some of my best work is with plain round wire. Funny how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread