Help with Starter Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

cancerstick

Jan 5, 2013
st. lou
Hello all. I am new to the site and was hoping to get some advice on a starter kit to purchase.
I have been smoking for almost 20 years (Pack a day of Marlboro Lights) and am desperate to quit. My wife even bought me a Blu Cig Starter Kit a few months ago which I tried for a few days but didn’t not like at all and was back to smoking within a couple of days.

This was my first ecig and actually thought I might be able to quit with one of these.
Unfortunately the Blu was a complete waste of money due to the fact that the cartridges I ordered had almost no flavor or taste and it always felt like I was just inhaling air. I tried several different flavors at various nicotine levels and it was the same thing for every one. Zero flavor and just an overall bad experience. The device gave me a headache almost every time I used it also.

So now I am looking to give ecigs another shot because I think with the right device I can stop smoking for good this time. The problem is after a little bit of research I became overwhelmed with all of the different devices that are available. I am hearing words like atomizer, cartomizer, clearomizer, tanks, tubes, variable voltage, low res, high res, single coil, dual coil, drip tip, smoke juice, chain vaping (Love that one!), etc. You get the idea.

I don’t understand what any of this means and am just looking for something fairly simple to use that is not a great deal of hassle and will provide a much better experience than the Blu that I tried previously. I would prefer a starter kit that includes everything needed to get rolling and costs under $100.

From the stuff I have read and videos watched on YouTube so far one brand that keeps popping up is the Ego by Joyetech.

AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | Joye eGo Starter Kit

Would this kit be recommend for someone in my situation? Or is there something that might work better for me? I know everyone probably has there own thing that works for them but hopefully someone can help me out or point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Bodach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2012
Georgia
I kind of was in the same situation you are currently in. I picked up an automatic cigarette looking PV from a gas station, and simply couldn't get into it after the novelty wore off.

There are decent automatic, cig shaped PVs, but I haven't tried them. Many people suggest the Bloog, but it can get a bit pricey.

For me, the key was to give up on the idea of having a PV that looked like a cigarette. I went to a local smoke shop, and got an eGo battery, and a clearomizer. It came with a case, and a charger. Looking back now, I wish I would have just ordered online, as it would have cut the price by 75%.

The eGo, manual button, is definitely the right track if you're looking for better flavor and throat hit compared to the Blu.

I prefer clearomizers, but not the stardust ones. I highly highly recommend Kanger T2 clearos. Kanger T3s are even better, for me, but might not be completely ideal for starting. If you can get a couple eGo batteries, and some Kanger T2s, you will be blown away. Flavor flavor flavor!

https://ivape.net/index.php/eGo-Sunfire-Coil-Changeable-Cartomizer-black.html

They will attach to any eGo battery.

Last edited:

Krisb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
OH
Honestly, there is no good one answer. Some start and continue on an ego an are happy to stay right there. Many eventually move on to mods, tanks... I started with an ego type, but very quickly turned to mods as I just didn't get enough out of the ego. I spent way to much in the beginning trying to get what I was looking for. But, I would hate to say jump in that direction if the cheaper option works for you. If you hate fiddling, though, I would recommend getting a tank.

The difference between an atomizer and cartomizer is actually very simple. The atomizer, when attached to the battery (ego or whatever) heats up and vaporizes the juice dripped into it. They will burn easily if not kept wet. Every atomizer has its own personality, some like to be very wet while others gurgle like crazy if they get too damp.

A cartomizer is just an atomizer wrapped, basically, in a batting that you saturate with juice to avoid having to constantly drip. A cartomizer tank is a popular choice. It is a cartomizer inserted into a tank that you fill with juice and it seeps into the cartomizer via a hole drilled into the side. With that, you will probably last , depending on how much juice your tank holds, the whole day of no mess or fuss.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI
For new vapors, I recommend the following setup in the link. Choice of either a Joye eGo Twist or eGo Spinner batteries, charger, optional usb/wall adaptor, and either the Kanger T3 clearomizers or Vision mini Vivi Nova tanks.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/365141-need-help-newbie-here.html#post8197330

This would make for a killer starter kit. I am still pretty new to this myself and kind of wish i had gone with a variable volt ego now. I have 6 of the kanger t3's and love them.

Here is a nice video to help ya out with the whole "atomizer, cartomizer, clearomizer, tanks, tubes, variable voltage, low res, high res, single coil, dual coil, drip tip" thing. A PBusardo Video - Beginners Guide to E-Cigs and E-Cig Tech - YouTube

Bodach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2012
Georgia
It's strange. Vaping is a very simple process. The parts are very simple; yet explaining it ends up looking complex. I've been trying to find a bare bones way of explaining it, but haven't really succeeded. I mean, a cigarette is simple.. decide on a variable like "light" or "red" or "ultra light", etc., get a lighter, buy a pack, and light it. Then smoke.

E-cigs are basically as simple. Buy a battery, a cartomizer (or whatever variable you want), a charger, and optionally some e-liquid if not going to use pre-filled cartridges. Then vape. Boom. Done. 98% of the stuff you see out there are for people that have already gotten off the cigs, and want to further personalize their experience in one way or another. mAhs.. ohms.. voltage..wattage..clearomizer.. cartomizer.. 510.. eGo.. etc... don't even worry about all the differences for now. By the time you'll care, you'll be off cigarettes.

I know vendor sites can look like an alien technology Radio Shack at first look.

All you need to decide is:

1) if you want an automatic ecig, or a manual ecig.

2) if you want a cigarette shaped one or it doesn't matter.

3) do you want pre-filled cartridges or it doesn't matter.

If you can figure those questions out, then the rest is easy. I've found that a lot of times, these posts try to answer by giving recommendations based on what most vapers agree on. For instance, manual being better than automatic, or cig shaped usually being not as good as larger, non-cig shaped.

The starter kit you have linked is fine. You will get a great vape, and will likely get off smoking.

THEN... then look for better fits.

carynjahn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
South Carolina
I think the twist is the way to go as well. I wish I would have had that option when I started vaping. Would have saved me a lot of time and money. My husband started with a variable voltage mod(lavatube) and he has yet to upgrade or change anything in a year. I started with a 650 ego kit and far exceeded any money my husband saved us by going with the "Cadillac" at the beginning. My mistake I think was trying to go for the cig look. Vaping is not smoking......at all. It's completely and totally different! I love it whereas I never really loved smoking......just basically feeding the beast. I'm way more addicted to vaping and all the cool toys! ;) I hope you will love it too and kick the stinkies. Vape on and chain vape.....often!!!!:)

cancerstick

Jan 5, 2013
st. lou
I just wanted to post back here and thank everyone for all there recommendations.
I ended up ordering a kit with 2 Ego twist batteries and 2 mini viva nova clearomizers and couldn't be happier.
Have not had a cig in 10 days and am not looking back. This setup is miles ahead of the Blu in every way.
Juices have been hit or miss and have only found a couple that are really good so far but will keep looking.
Plan to try the kangers next to compare to the viva nova.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread