HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I have been vaping for just over 3 months now and started relatively soon with building coils for my Spirals RBA deck. Up until now I have not had much success with flavor from the various rda's & RTA's that I have since acquired. I have moderate success with the Beserker Mini, but with the Wasp, Battlestar and Serpent SMM not much. Just yesterday I put a new factory coil in the Baby Prince and wow what flavor! Makes me think that somewhere along the line I am screwing up. I have tried all kinds of wire, sizes & ID, coil higher, coil lower, tight wicking, looser wicking but no significant progress IMO. Where am I going wrong? Any and all advise will be gratefully received.

Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hi and welcome! Generally RBAs are a little tougher to build than RTAs. That said no reason not to try. Flavor will be affected by getting the coil in the right spot on the tank's airflow and your wicking. Both require some playing around to get just right. It will also vary from tank to tank, as each will have its own sweet spot. The only real advice I can give is build it out and keep practicing different solutions changing only one variable at a time. Good luck!

Hi and welcome! Generally RBAs are a little tougher to build than RTAs. That said no reason not to try. Flavor will be affected by getting the coil in the right spot on the tank's airflow and your wicking. Both require some playing around to get just right. It will also vary from tank to tank, as each will have its own sweet spot. The only real advice I can give is build it out and keep practicing different solutions changing only one variable at a time. Good luck!
Thanks man! Any advice where to start? e.g wire etc

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi all. I have been vaping for just over 3 months now and started relatively soon with building coils for my Spirals RBA deck. Up until now I have not had much success with flavor from the various RDA's & RTA's that I have since acquired. I have moderate success with the Beserker Mini, but with the Wasp, Battlestar and Serpent SMM not much. Just yesterday I put a new factory coil in the Baby Prince and wow what flavor! Makes me think that somewhere along the line I am screwing up. I have tried all kinds of wire, sizes & ID, coil higher, coil lower, tight wicking, looser wicking but no significant progress IMO. Where am I going wrong? Any and all advise will be gratefully received.
Hi,
Pick a device, what do you want to play with first?
Tell us what you have to work with? Wire Type/AWG?
What do you have for wicking material? Cotton type? Rayon? Something in a zipper bag?
Do you have a coiler tool or a mandrel to wrap coils upon?
I am a fan of SS316 and Rayon. In general I make 2.5-3.0mm spaced coils with 26AWG and wick tightly.

Cheers
I

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I agree SS is a nice wire to work with. As easy to build with as Kanthal but good in both power and temp control. I would start with a basic round coil to start. I like cotton to wick with but some love Rayon.

Then, for every deck, try it for a while and if it's not right, first play with the coil height. Generally, the closer to the airflow the better the flavor. Then you can try varying the wick, a little bit more or less, guided by assuring no leaking or flooding. Then vary the power until you finally find a nice spot for you.

Hi,
Pick a device, what do you want to play with first?
Tell us what you have to work with? Wire Type/AWG?
What do you have for wicking material? Cotton type? Rayon? Something in a zipper bag?
Do you have a coiler tool or a mandrel to wrap coils upon?
I am a fan of SS316 and Rayon. In general I make 2.5-3.0mm spaced coils with 26AWG and wick tightly.

Cheers
I
Thanks Izan
I have all the necessary tools from Coil Master. Wires: Kanthal A1 24, 26 & 28 awg. SS 316 24-28Awg. Ni80 in 26Awg. Also various clapton wires etc. Wicking material is Cotton Bacon II.

Regards Allan

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It will take some trial and error to get the most out of your RTAs. I might recommend searching for each tank on ECF, I know some of them have dedicated threads and you may get ideas there.

Also you could check out some YouTube reviews, not so much for "opinions" but "how tos" on how to set up a tank. Some are really informative and helpful.

Most of all, welcome to ECF and I hope you enjoy your time here and congrats on quitting smoking. RTAs were a HUGE learning curve for me but I'm glad I stuck with it. Good luck,

Anna

It will take some trial and error to get the most out of your RTAs. I might recommend searching for each tank on ECF, I know some of them have dedicated threads and you may get ideas there.

Also you could check out some YouTube reviews, not so much for "opinions" but "how tos" on how to set up a tank. Some are really informative and helpful.

Most of all, welcome to ECF and I hope you enjoy your time here and congrats on quitting smoking. RTAs were a HUGE learning curve for me but I'm glad I stuck with it. Good luck,

Anna
Thanks Anna:)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I break down RDA's into 4 basic categories. Large cloud (sub-ohm) duel/single coil setups and normal cloud (non sub -ohm ) duel/single coil setups. You can get great flavor from all combos. It's just a little easier/cheaper to build using higher ohm/single coil setups, taste wise, I'm real happy with higher ohm/single RDA's.
I have several of the 2 post Magma's which are set up for single coil usage (The Magma's can be set up for duel coils). All are deep well and can last me an hour before re dripping. If you sub ohm, I suspect you are going to have to re drip much more frequently.
RDTA's are hybrids, and may skirt tank problems.
I decided to non sub ohm, MTL and cool vape on RDA's only. Suggest you do your experimenting on RDA's only. May help you quickly find your happy spot.
For Flavor and non sub-ohm: My Settings:zero nic,single coil (~6.4-.5w/32ga;4-6 turns;.11 ID;Rayon and as much PG as you can stand)
Origen V1 & V3 finned (3 post vert. but use single horizontal.)
For build idea's, could view:
RDA - Magma RDA: Your Favorite Build
RDA - Origen v3
Theory:
Efficiency. Thinner wire and higher resistance VS thick wire and lower resistance
Resistance is futile. Ohms are not king. Wattage is. • r/electronic_cigarette
Higher Resistance, Lower Wattage vs Lower Resistance, Higher Wattage
The Vaper`s Guide to Flavour Chasing: 10 Tips To Maximise Flavour
For coil build questions, might want to try the search function in upper right hand corner of this post. Google and You Tube are also great informational sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread