Status
Not open for further replies.

OhmzRaw

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2015
I bought a bag of KGD organic cotton to re-wick my back up device. I am using it to wick a top coil device and I'm not having much of a success. I'm getting a lot of vape but hardly any flavor/taste. I am using 100% VG juice and still no luck so i tried a 50/50 PG/VG mix and i get a slight taste. I don't get any burnt taste or anything, I just don't get a full on flavor, its like its not giving the full taste of the flavor. My coil is 32 Gauge at 2.0 Ohms. This is a regulated device so I can't drop the ohms.

The coil I'm working on is similar to the one in the PIC below.
clearomizer-justfog-500x500-600x600.png

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
How many puffs have you taken? Cotton usually has a little break-in period and you'll need to take 5-10 puffs before it starts producing flavor right.

Also, with Japanese cotton like Koh Gen Do there is an outer skin-like layer on both sides of the sheet. You'll want to very carefully peel that skin-like layer off each side before cutting your wick. It won't hurt you if you vape it, but it reduces the wicking efficiency and can dull the flavor.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So cotton won't work in this?

I'm totally unfamiliar with that atomizer. What is it called? Who recommended it to you?

I'm not saying that cotton definitely won't work, but from the way it looks, the wick area appears to be extremely small for cotton. Most clearomizers using that size of coil use silica string.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I'd have to agree with Bad'.

In your application - the resistance, small wicking pathways, small coil surface area, unknown wick density and in-coil compression (which in this application can be highly sensitive)... all add up to likely a better performance with silica.
As an alternative, running a higher PG percentage might help a bit, if you continue to use cotton.

Reactions: Baditude

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
I have the ego one, Evic VT (Coming next week) Kbox and subtank nano... At the moment I'm using Native wicks. Is KGD better than native wicks.

A lot of people on the forum talk about big top the range devices but I think it dosent matter what you vape on the main thing is your vaping :thumb: so if top feeder tanks are what you like even for a backup device stick with it and keep trying with that silica, you'll get the hang of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread