Helping A Friend Quit Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Most vape shops in my area have (or used to have) tanks for trying flavors where you used a new drip tip from a container to try different flavors on a flavor bar. Once you were through trying a few flavors, the drip tip was yours to keep or toss. It was good way to try them and pick one to buy.

It's been a long time since I was in a vape shop, but they serve a valuable purpose for those who are new to vaping.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
It's been a long time since I was in a vape shop, but they serve a valuable purpose for those who are new to vaping.

According to every newbie I've helped in the last 3-4 years who first went to vape shops to see about getting started with vaping...most shops had employees who know quite a bit about set-ups for sub-ohm vaping, DL vaping...and especially cloud-chucking. However, they had little, if any, knowledge about above ohm vaping, MTL vaping, and set-ups and coils for it!

Unfortunately, many of them were sold gear that was totally wrong for them and eliquid that was a much higher mg than they could stand to vape. Once they got set-ups and eliquid more appropriate for them...they've done well since then.

Unless vape shop employees are much different where the OP is...his "friend" might do better by coming here to ECF himself, asking questions, getting suggestions for set-ups and eliquids, etc....than going to a vape shop. Just my :2c: though, based on the info newbies I've helped have passed along to me.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I guess since he want to quit smoking I think it's better to go for mtl...
If can't try both in a vape shop ofc..
There are many nice atomizers for mtl and if u ask me I would tell him to try the zlide or zenith from innokin cause in my experience has no problems with leaks and stuff and has many coils to try...
Unfortunately in my opinion if he don't try few things u can't be sure that what u suggest will work for him but for me it's a good start..
The throat hit comes from nicotine level but that has to do with how heavy smoker u used to be...
And then it's the pg percentage in juice ofc...
I wonder tho that friend u say he is excited for the flavours with vaping...
I guess he tried a puff from your vape or anyone's ???
And if yes then what kind of vape device was it and what juice and coil

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Sounds like you are already a vaper? If so, why can't you suggest something to your friend?

You have to start somewhere and you have to go into it with the expectation that you might get the wrong setup on the first, or even second try. And then you have the juice which you may end up spending a small fortune on until you find something that is to your liking.

I say start with a small but refillable device, like the Uwell Caliburn or Caliburn G, and go from there.

In the future it would be best if your friend joins and asks their own questions. Having a liaison to acquire and relay information for something like vaping can lead to wasted money and time as well as failure. Vaping is nothing like smoking and requires dedication to make it work for you.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Here's one tip that might help: When your friend buys juice, he may notice there's a choice between "nicotine salts" and, well, not salts (just nicotine). Since he's looking for throat hit, he'll probably want plain nicotine, not the salts. Salts have less throat hit - they were developed so higher levels of nicotine could be vaped (e.g. 5% or 50 mg/ml of normal nicotine would have too much throat hit with freebase nicotine to vape).

There are different styles of vape. Options are:
    • Pod mod - small vape, uses a very small amount of e-juice with a very high concentration of nicotine (so high that even your friend would probably prefer salts) (nicotine level often 30 mg/ml to 50 mg/ml, which might also be written as 3% - 5%)
    • MTL (Mouth-to-lung) - the 'in between' option - vaporizes juice faster than a pod mod so it's usually used with a lower concentration of nicotine (wide range of nicotine levels, maybe around 12 mg/ml for someone just switching from cigarettes)
    • DL (Direct lung) - bigger clouds, goes through juice quickly, usually used with low concentration juices (~3 mg/ml)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    He's excited for all the flavors that come with vaping but his biggest drawback is finding a setup that gives a great throat hit. I'm not sure what combination mod, tank, coil, etc we need to look at but keep in mind he's a newbie.

Thanks for the help!

The mod doesn't matter as long as it delivers the watts to drive the tank at the wattage it is designed for.

TH is created by the right selection of tank, coil and juice ingredients. I vape rebuildable tanks and rda's so I'm not up on the best gear for beginners, but I know many others here are and they will help out on selection of those. What they will probably need more info on is if you think your friend wants to vape mouth to lung or direct to lung, and if cloud production is important to him.

TH is mostly made from nicotine in our juices. Having said that, here are a few other points that come to mind.

With a tank designed to be vaped at 50 watts you need a lot less nic content in your juice to achieve good TH than one that is designed for 10 watts. Coil selection plays a part too. I've never watched a review of a tank using mesh heads that indicated great TH, they usually praise flavor and a smooth vape experience (the opposite of good TH). I like TH too and have stuck with simple round wire coils, in tanks that are known for good TH. And as has been said already, stay away from nic salt juices, they minimize TH. Last thought, the higher the PG content of the juice, the higher the TH. I make my juices 100% PG for that reason as I prefer to limit my nic intake.

Cudos for helping your friend out with this :thumb:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    According to every newbie I've helped in the last 3-4 years who first went to vape shops to see about getting started with vaping...most shops had employees who know quite a bit about set-ups for sub-ohm vaping, DL vaping...and especially cloud-chucking. However, they had little, if any, knowledge about above ohm vaping, MTL vaping, and set-ups and coils for it!

Unfortunately, many of them were sold gear that was totally wrong for them and eliquid that was a much higher mg than they could stand to vape. Once they got set-ups and eliquid more appropriate for them...they've done well since then.

Unless vape shop employees are much different where the OP is...his "friend" might do better by coming here to ECF himself, asking questions, getting suggestions for set-ups and eliquids, etc....than going to a vape shop. Just my :2c: though, based on the info newbies I've helped have passed along to me.

In my area there are a couple of Stormy's Vapor Cellar shops and they are knowledgeable and helpful, with hardware and juices that cover what people need and want. Not so true with some shops that sell 75% trinkets, leather, and various other items. I guess they have to do that to make a profit.

DTL vaping seems to have taken over, but I don't see as many cloud vapers around malls and restaurants anymore. I used to see cloud vapers creating huge plumes in the parking lots here and there.

Reactions: Ryedan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread