Not open for further replies.

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Random question for you guys...

Changed my air purifier HEPA filters back in April as they were moldy, but not really wet. Maybe damp. Tonight I went to change the carbon filter and noticed some pooling at the bottom and when I took out the HEPA filters they were SOAKED. I cleaned it up as best as I could and put it back together. I plan on leaving the whole mess in the sun all day tomorrow to dry it out.

I'm guessing this is due to my increased presence and vaping in my bedroom. I guess what I'm asking is are your air purifiers getting wet and is there a better option out there? I'm looking at dehumidifiers and considering running both of them. Anyone using a dehumidifer with success?

It's obviously more humid in summer but I don't think I have big humidity issues as I'm in Denver (dry) with AC on. I think 50 ml a week is just too much for this thing.

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Don't know, but I'd be very surprised if the problem has anything to do with vaping.

Oh I'm sure it's directly involved. Small room, things is filtering vape 24/7 and all of the liquid that I wiped out of there today was a similar orange color to the actual vape juice.

I'm not saying humidity isn't a concern I just don't think it's the main contributor.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    VG and PG are hygroscopic, meaning they attract water and or moisture.
    Once they accumulate on your HEPA filter, they act as humidity magnets. WET HEPA = Useless.
    Installing a moisture filter before the HEPA filter may help.
    What is the relative humidity of the room in question?
    If it is a small room and constantly occupied by breathing humans, the humidity levels may be higher than the rest of the house.
    Confirm that the filters in the HVAC system are clean and dry. While a HVAC dehumidifier might help, a small local unit may be all you need.

HTH
    I

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    VG and PG are hygroscopic, meaning they attract water and or moisture.
    Once they accumulate on your HEPA filter, they act as humidity magnets. WET HEPA = Useless.
    Installing a moisture filter before the HEPA filter may help.
    What is the relative humidity of the room in question?
    If it is a small room and constantly occupied by breathing humans, the humidity levels may be higher than the rest of the house.
    Confirm that the filters in the HVAC system are clean and dry. While a HVAC dehumidifier might help, a small local unit may be all you need.

HTH
    I

Very informative, thank you very much. I laid everything out in the sun today and it dried it up enough to make it to a couple weeks from now when I get my new filters in. I'll make sure I have a dehumidifier running next to it from now on and hope that solves the problem. Also going to check on my HVAC filter.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    Oh I'm sure it's directly involved. Small room, things is filtering vape 24/7 and all of the liquid that I wiped out of there today was a similar orange color to the actual vape juice.

I'm not saying humidity isn't a concern I just don't think it's the main contributor.
    Nope, but the hydroscopic and hydrophilic nature of PG and VG will not be helped by added humidity, but yeah, filtering vapor leads to a wet filter.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    My office is the one room in my house that sees probably 95% of my vapor. The walls and plastic blinds always have a slight oiliness to them and the windows get fogged up. But when it's humid the blinds and walls are literally wet. Not dripping wet, but wet.

I have no doubt at all that this problem you are having with your air filter is directly related to your vaping.

• Optimistic

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Weather getting any better?

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F200924194631-creek-fire-0905.jpg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Are they getting wet with water or ecig juice? If it’s ecig juice it’s not going to dry. They’ll need to be washed. If this can’t be done you may just find yourself going through a lot of filters. If they can be washed you might be able to get away with two sets. Wash one and let dry while you have the other in.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    My office is the one room in my house that sees probably 95% of my vapor. The walls and plastic blinds always have a slight oiliness to them and the windows get fogged up. But when it's humid the blinds and walls are literally wet. Not dripping wet, but wet.

I have no doubt at all that this problem you are having with your air filter is directly related to your vaping.

Hmmmm Do u dl or mtl in the room?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread