Herbal remedies to take the edge off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diosdado

Sep 16, 2010
NYC
Greetings all,

Has anyone tried using any of the herbal supplements for smoking cessation that is supposed to take the edge off, ie. that "missing" feeling when they switched to ecigs?

I'm curious and trying to research it online now. The specific herbs being; Lobelia (supposedly increases the dopamine levels in the brain), St John's Wort (supposedly helps with the seratonin and dopamine levels as well), Ginsing (unsure what effects it really has), etc... Things that seem to supposedly replace the effects of the MAOI's in analogs?

Still getting the "missing" feeling after 5 days of being on eCigs and I don't want to hit tobacco products like snus.

Diosdado

Sep 16, 2010
NYC
using 12mg, 24mg and have 36mg on order. ecig smoking like a fiend the first few days, like a lesser fiend lately. Have some nicotine gum left and chewed it while vaping last night, but it didn't help. Went through the same feeling when I used the patch. I honestly don't think it's just the nicotine. The edginess has been decreasing a little, but I do get the strong urge to have an analog a few times a day.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
sounds like it is the low mg actually.

It shouldn't feel at all like when you were on the patch (I did that about 4 times) it should feel more like you are vaping while deciding if you should smoke or not and then the next thing you know you forgot that you were thinking about smoking.

The whole point of vaping is to make not smoking a joy instead of a struggle.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
and I'm not really sure what "ultra light" was supposed to mean in the first place. In fact, didn't the government just decide that the term "ultra light" is misleading for some reason?

Smokers of light cigarttes tend to inhale the smoke deeper into their lungs. Or wrap their lips around the little holes.

Diosdado

Sep 16, 2010
NYC
Yes, I'd read it as well as the threads on the MAOI cocktail in analogs in here as well as other places on the net. I'm looking up St. John's Wort and it seems that it's recommended for those going cold turkey to raise dopamine and seratonin levels. Just wondering if anyone here has actually tried it, or Lobelia and if those actually helped or did anything at all.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Lite cigarettes are only lower on Tar and have just as much or in some cases more nicotine then the regular ones. I cant think of any legal herbs that would take the edge off. I had to go up to 36mg of nicotine to stop smoking. Thats what it took for me to not get the missing feeling. I have been dropping nicotine levels now that i have 6 weeks smoke free not bothering me a bit so far. Just whipped up some 18mg stuff today after switching to 24mg a few days ago. It is doing the trick just fine so far. Might even try 12mg in the next few days see how that goes for me. But i would for sure try going up on the Nic level at first after a month or so it should be pretty easy to drop it down.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
it's true that with vaping you won't be getting the MAOI's or any of the other cocktail of drugs in tobacco cigarettes, but if you get your nicotine mg's right you won't really notice that very much. I smoked for 25 years and switched to vaping painlessly, so did a lot of us on the forum. In fact most of the folks on here are "old-timers" who smoked much longer than me and it worked for them too.

It'll work for you to, just give it a go when your stronger juice shows up. I'm confident you'll feel much better and end up craving a smoke much less often (if ever).

Dirtybutts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
West Point, New York
I say that if you have to have a smoke just go ahead and have one... Switching to vaping should be painless and everyone quits at their own rate. Some people still have a cig every now and then. For me the urges came less and less the more I vaped, so dont be to hard on yourself and dont give up..there will come a time that even the thought of a cigarette will cause you to feel nausea. Just keep trying!

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
For what it's worth, I was down to two cigarettes a day and couldn't shake the last couple. My nicotine levels were fine at 18 (2 pack/day VS Ultralight 120s). But I just couldn't let go of them. For me, rather than increasing the nic, I switched to a LR atomizer/cartomizer and/or a 5v passthrough. It bumped up the warmth and quantity of the vapor enough that, for me at least, it more closely replicated smoking a cigarette or maybe the warmer nicotinized vapor got into the system more efficiently. In any case, a couple days of that and the cigarettes were done. I'm now back happily on 3.7v and down to 6-10 mg nicotine.

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
I take St. Johns Wort, I don't know if it had a placebo effect or what but it definitely kept me from tearing off heads during my transition. Any real cravings for a cig were very short lived, maybe 5 minutes at the most and only hit me once or twice a day. And I only take 1 a day, I believe the recommended dose is 6 per day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread