Hey Everyone.....I'm a New ECF Member...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chynnakatt

Aug 10, 2014
CT, USA
Hi To ECF & Everyone out there!!

I'm a new member to ECF and have been vaping almost a year now. It'll be one year in September. So far.....I'm LOVING it!! I do have a couple of questions here that I'm hoping anybody may have some answers for...

I started off with a joytech eGo-T starter kit and have tried different batteries, tanks, cartomizers, single coils, dual coils, bottom loader, top loaders and just honestly can't get that great umph that I'm so desperately searching for all the time!! I'm currently using a couple vision spinners with a kanger protank mini 3 and an innokin i30 that I swap between. I get different opinions as to what coils to use regarding whether it's a 1.5 or 2.0 in the kanger tank or 2.1's or less ohms in the i30.

There are people who work in the shops who have always recommended the higher ohm'ed coil and then just yesterday in a different shop a guy was baffled as to why I wanted a 2.0 ohm coil as opposed to a 1.6 ohm. I truly didn't have any good answer for him but that I have always been told I wanted a 2.0 ohm and have always just followed that advice...regardless if it was right or wrong depending on what type of vape I enjoy.
I am not knowledgeable in this kind-a stuff, however, am not ignorant on the subject either....I mean...I can easily learn and understand if someone was to explain things in basic terms.....

In addition to my being totally confused on this, I'm also stuck on wanting to move up to a higher voltage/wattage mod because I'm thinking with more options available to me in addition to having higher voltage and higher wattage accessibility, I will get that great throat hit that I love, much more flavor and an all around better vape than what I'm getting with what I'm using now.....been researching the i-tazte mvp v2, the smok groove II, the HCigar DNA 20 & 30 & others along the way...

Is there anybody out there who can/would give me some ideas or thoughts on any of this? I'd love to chat with everyone!! Thanks!

Thanks for having me here at ECF and I look forward to meeting & chatting with everybody out there!!

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Welcome and congrats on your 1 yr!! What voltage are you setting your Spinner at? What is your PG?VG mix and nic level?

Reason I'm asking is because your Spinner should have more than enuf power for your clearos. You can change your pg/vg level to include more pg for xtra throathit. Or increase your nic level if you're too low for your needs.

Last edited:

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2014
    Corn 'n' Cows
    Namaste :) Welcome chynna! Congrats on the upcoming Vape-aversary :)

r77r7r has good questions for you. Higher-ohmmed coils can somewhat preserve battery life (Volts = Current * Resistance) Higher resistance on fixed voltage yields lower amps, therefore slower drain.

Lower resistance will allow more current to flow, heating up the juice quicker and longer, inducing more vapor. Do have to be careful, tho. Some juices don't like it hot and could scorch leaving NASTY aftertaste :p

You're on the right track about different devices. Along with the V=IR equation above, Watts plays into the equation as well. Watts = Volts * Volts / Resistance. So, if you have a 2Ω coil riding on a 4 volt setting, you're going to be pumping 8W (4 * 4 / 2 = 8) Drop the resistance even a little bit and your watts jump. Same voltage, but 1.5Ω is going to get you over 10.5W output (4 * 4 / 1.5 = 10.67) That starts pushing the limits of many "starter-type" devices. Even the MVP is only rated for 11.0W max. Then, getting all techhy, you have to watch the amount of current that your device is throwing and whether or not your battery can even handle it. Back to first example, 4V/2Ω - Current = V / R so in this case will be 2 Amps. Second example, 4 / 1.5 = 2.67A Drop another 0.5Ω and you're at 4A output (16W - which is more than a lot of devices can tolerate.)

In reading some other threads, Twists/Spinners seem to have a 3A limit, so you're really pushing the envelope at 4V and much below 1.5ohms.

Again, you have to watch how hot because even though the device can do it, you might fry your juice.

I'm having this same debate with myself. I have a couple MVP2s (and cousin VV3). I rebuild my coils and run about 1.8 ohms for almost all of them. I have a couple "goofs" that are about 2.2 ohms, so I just push up the voltage a little bit to make sure the juice heats. I haven't (and can't yet) cross the sub-ohm threshhold, but all my buddies on another thread are telling me that it's a pretty awesome experience. May require drippers and most certainly a heftier mod that can pump out more power.

I hope some of this helps. I get a little nerdy at times, but I hope I've shed a bit of light on what might help you make the next step.

Keep asking away - many way-smarter folks than I will be more than happy to help

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    TX, USA
    the amp limit on most devices is regulated by a circuit board. That means if the device limit is 3amps, if you pop a 30amp battery in there you are still only going to ever be drawing 3 amps... Not sure if egos have this safety feature, but I would imagine they do.
    most stock single coil heads are happy around 8w.. you can push them a bit further, or back them off a bit to customize your vape, but most are happy around 8w. less and the vape will become more anemic, more and you risk burning up your coil head - atomizing the liquid to fast and getting dry burnt hits - YUCK! Too much heat on some of those coils could cause them to pop - not the crackeling sound, but actually breaking the coil, opening the circuit, ruining the head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

keonee

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2013
    USA
    Welcome chynnakatt to ECF.....it does take the right setup to enjoy the vape experience. I went thru different setups to where I finally found a few setups that make my vaping a happy one....switching between Provari and the ZNA.

Also since you like a good throat hit and flavor that's what the PG does....so you might want to up your ratio of PG.

You now have enough posts to start exploring the forum.

Good Luck to You....Happy Vaping!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread