Hey, I want to vape but have reservations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
I grew up in nice areas and had a balanced healthy diet my whole life.. also likely have nice genetics..

I moved with my husband to an area far more impacted by poverty than I have ever lived before. Even the 18 year olds here look in their 30's.. I literally cannot look at the young adults here and tell their age...

that is not due to smoking that is due largely to diet and vitamin deficiencies I would imagine.. But most people my age look 20 - 30 years older than me in many cases, mainly due to the impact of poverty. My husband looks 15-20 years older than me for real yet he's only 7 years my senior, and his dad made decent money for this area.

Thing is, it is also the most stricken by poverty who smoke, so cigarettes in combination with malnutrition likely makes things worse than they might otherwise be for people's skin.

what I think is that smoking took the blame for a lot of what malnutrition caused due to the large number of people in poverty who smoke.

Just an observation, but something I've noticed these last few years.
Nice genetics...LOL
Hey you old puckerface, still have those skin problems and wrinkles?
Yea right, blame it on Appalachia, darn mountains!

Hugs,
Hazy :cool:

• Love
Reactions: Opinionated

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Appalacia is like... Sudden. You see all these attractive 19 year olds wandering around and then you see their parents. Although, lack of glasses, lack of teeth, these all play a role. Lack of good medical care, most of all. It's really hard to access great care when you have to drive 200 miles.

Many kids who leave Appalacia and start taking care of their health have better health outcomes, but only if they have nagging wives, etc. I mean, the husband has to practically sever a limb to go to a medical provider, and as far as tetanus shots, he probably has some natural immunity or something.

Honestly, were I not his wife, he'd probably still be gibbering in the corner somewhere after his PTSD meltdown, and like, I had to nag, beg and threaten every step of the way. If something is not considered "routine" and whatnot, then it tends to get ignored quite often, or found to be uncomfortable.. My husband did not start improving until I got him to MY psychiatrist, so that I could ACCURATELY report his symptoms, reactions, and phobias. That may not work for everyone but it for sure is working for US. He's just had the first solid night of good sleep and it's been TEN YEARS of trying stuff, and it only happened because he felt so guilty about LYING about even taking his last sleep med.

I get the whole holistic approach but I exploited that guilt 1000% and it was WORTH IT. He's no longer wandering around here moaning in pain like a concentration camp victim. 10 years of NOT REALLY sleeping just isn't good for one's health.

I have immense sympathy for underserved populations, and boy (even urban) have I seen some TERRIBLE outcomes. There are times I am grateful for the virulence of my illness, because it for sure taught me my options were GOOD CONSISTENT self care, that or permanent residency in some sort of nursing home.

Cigarettes are the same. I got myself to the point most people don't get to because I simply did not BELIEVE I had any control over my smoking. Reducing it stopping, really only this past 14 months have given me any sense of hope at all.

I don't think anyone should be denied the right to vape. But I do believe it plays a far more SPECIAL role for ex-smokers, that is, to put it bluntly, more sacred. I also believe that if any teen is going to smoke or vape, they should vape. PERIOD.

Other than that, society will do what it does. And I guess we will see.

Anna

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Appalacia is like... Sudden. You see all these attractive 19 year olds wandering around and then you see their parents. Although, lack of glasses, lack of teeth, these all play a role. Lack of good medical care, most of all. It's really hard to access great care when you have to drive 200 miles.

Many kids who leave Appalacia and start taking care of their health have better health outcomes, but only if they have nagging wives, etc. I mean, the husband has to practically sever a limb to go to a medical provider, and as far as tetanus shots, he probably has some natural immunity or something.

Honestly, were I not his wife, he'd probably still be gibbering in the corner somewhere after his PTSD meltdown, and like, I had to nag, beg and threaten every step of the way. If something is not considered "routine" and whatnot, then it tends to get ignored quite often, or found to be uncomfortable.. My husband did not start improving until I got him to MY psychiatrist, so that I could ACCURATELY report his symptoms, reactions, and phobias. That may not work for everyone but it for sure is working for US. He's just had the first solid night of good sleep and it's been TEN YEARS of trying stuff, and it only happened because he felt so guilty about LYING about even taking his last sleep med.

I get the whole holistic approach but I exploited that guilt 1000% and it was WORTH IT. He's no longer wandering around here moaning in pain like a concentration camp victim. 10 years of NOT REALLY sleeping just isn't good for one's health.

I have immense sympathy for underserved populations, and boy (even urban) have I seen some TERRIBLE outcomes. There are times I am grateful for the virulence of my illness, because it for sure taught me my options were GOOD CONSISTENT self care, that or permanent residency in some sort of nursing home.

Cigarettes are the same. I got myself to the point most people don't get to because I simply did not BELIEVE I had any control over my smoking. Reducing it stopping, really only this past 14 months have given me any sense of hope at all.

I don't think anyone should be denied the right to vape. But I do believe it plays a far more SPECIAL role for ex-smokers, that is, to put it bluntly, more sacred. I also believe that if any teen is going to smoke or vape, they should vape. PERIOD.

Other than that, society will do what it does. And I guess we will see.

Anna

I agree about the suddenness of it.. that is a good way to put it for real.

and your right on medical care, when you are treated for illness before it gets out of control it affects a lot.

I've been poor before, but here, here it's so different. In the Midwest poverty was just oh need to butcher another cow and grill steaks in the snow.. lol..

here? here is far different..

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
here? here is far different..
There it's just how it is...Not a matter of realizing you're poor...You just are and so is everybody else so by comparison you really aren't poor.
Unbelievably there is a silver lining to that poverty.
Mountain folk are generally rich in spirit, and a wealth of inventiveness and improvisational skills...and hardy even though some may be in need of medical attention

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
I vaped over this summer casually...I really liked vaping

Hi Jon...

There seems to be a number of people in the world who...for whatever reason...find enjoyment in the act of inhaling/exhaling "smoke"...and who REALLY find pleasure in the effects of nicotine...

I'm DEFINITELY one of those people...

I LOVED smoking for 50+ years...but I switched to vaping because it's 98% less harmful to my body...(and 92% less harmful to my wallet)…

So...now...I LOVE vaping...

:2c:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
These have been great and very helpful responses, everyone. Very much appreciated! I think y’all have convinced me not to do it, which has me bummed a tad (although it’s prolly for the better). I came on here for honest opinions and I got them, so thanks :)
Welcome and glad you joined.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I grew up in nice areas and had a balanced healthy diet my whole life.. also likely have nice genetics..

I moved with my husband to an area far more impacted by poverty than I have ever lived before. Even the 18 year olds here look in their 30's.. I literally cannot look at the young adults here and tell their age...

that is not due to smoking that is due largely to diet and vitamin deficiencies I would imagine.. But most people my age look 20 - 30 years older than me in many cases, mainly due to the impact of poverty. My husband looks 15-20 years older than me for real yet he's only 7 years my senior, and his dad made decent money for this area.

Thing is, it is also the most stricken by poverty who smoke, so cigarettes in combination with malnutrition likely makes things worse than they might otherwise be for people's skin.

what I think is that smoking took the blame for a lot of what malnutrition caused due to the large number of people in poverty who smoke.

Just an observation, but something I've noticed these last few years.

I blame my young looks turning to old looks on the malnutrition of IBD and then treating it.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Overall I agree with most of the others -- if you are not a smoker then don't vape.

HOWEVER, when I was in college I experimented with things and understand that you might want to as well. That's normal and expected. You sound pretty grounded based on your post that you have a plan and all. You also said that you enjoyed it so if it will keep you from doing other things then it may be a good choice for you.

I have noticed a few wrinkles by my upper lip from vaping because I was using a wide bore tip and now I use a slimmer one. I am also older than you. I am frequently told that I look much younger than my true age and I smoked cigs for a long time and have vaped for quite a few years. At your age, I do not think it will matter much but it is something to consider. I think that genetics and taking care of your skin determine the condition of your skin.

As far as health concerns, each study I read, in my opinion, is a bit slanted as to whoever is conducting it. There are many many fewer ingredients in vaping and it is vaped and not smoked so it is way way better than smoking. Many of us former smokers on the forum have noted how much better we feel vaping vs smoking. Again just my opinion

It is a personal decision as to what vices or hobbies you choose. I'd rate it as
Best - being a non-smoker and a non-vaper (and a non-drug user and non-drinker etc)
Better- being a vaper
Bad - being a smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread