Hey, I want to vape but have reservations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
We already have those people, and they call themselves the "self-appointed" gluten intolerant. I have grave sympathies for the gluten intolerant where it's real, but it's kind of been adopted by the new agers for some reason I don't quite get. Like, pretending to be gluten intolerant really shouldn't be your next diet plan. But an unreasoning prejudice does seem to sort of exist against wheat these days, it's kind of like labeling a device "nic salt capable BECAUSE THEY ALL are," like, you don't need to label the green beans gluten free, dude, I already KNOW that.

Okay, it probably bugs me more because my mom is one of those "I can't tolerate gluten but I can eat a bit of your garlic bread, Anna, because it's not so bad if I have just a little bit of it," statements.

I GET THAT IT'S YOUR NEXT way to convince yourself to diet, Mom, but it's not very effective and also, carbohydrates are carbohydrates. Etc. Also, yes, you can have some of my garlic bread and I will pretend to not notice when you exhibit ZERO signs of intolerance of it, because it's.... Just easier. IDK.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Eskie and Myk

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
How about "eating a bread".

"
Important Warning for those who have been drawn unsuspectingly into the use of bread:

More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread users.
Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-consuming households score below average on standardized tests.
In the 18th century, when virtually all bread was baked in the home, the average life expectancy was less than 50 years; infant mortality rates were unacceptably high; many women died in childbirth; and diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever, and influenza ravaged whole nations.
More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed within 24 hours of eating bread.
Bread is made from a substance called "dough." It has been proven that as little as one pound of dough can be used to suffocate a mouse. The average American eats more bread than that in one month!
Primitive tribal societies that have no bread exhibit a low incidence of cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, and osteoporosis.
Bread has been proven to be addictive. Subjects deprived of bread and given only water to eat begged for bread after as little as two days.
Bread is often a "gateway" food item, leading the user to "harder" items such as butter, jelly, peanut butter, and even cold cuts.
Bread has been proven to absorb water. Since the human body is more than 90 percent water, it follows that eating bread could lead to your body being taken over by this absorptive food product, turning you into a soggy, gooey bread-pudding person.
Newborn babies can choke on bread.
Bread is baked at temperatures as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit! That kind of heat can kill an adult in less than one minute.

Most American bread eaters are utterly unable to distinguish between significant scientific fact and meaningless statistical babbling.
In light of these frightening statistics, we propose the following bread restrictions:

No sale of bread to minors.
A nationwide "Just Say No To Toast" campaign, complete celebrity TV spots and bumper stickers.
A 300 percent federal tax on all bread to pay for all the societal ills we might associate with bread.
No animal or human images, nor any primary colors (which may appeal to children) may be used to promote bread usage.
The establishment of "Bread-free" zones around schools. "

:D:D:D

hypocrisy.jpg
So well put - now I see the light, thank you! Everything is a risk, so we just need to embrace that, and spread the joy! How could I have been so wrong? I feel so guilty for the way I've raised my children now. I should have encouraged them to make all the mistakes I did, and add some more of their own.

We should all begin encouraging all others to adopt our worst habits, lest we risk being branded hypocrites by @Janusz .

My life has now forever changed, thank you from the bottom of my heart, for such words of wisdom.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
So well put - now I see the light, thank you! Everything is a risk, so we just need to embrace that, and spread the joy! How could I have been so wrong? I feel so guilty for the way I've raised my children now. I should have encouraged them to make all the mistakes I did, and add some more of their own.

We should all begin encouraging all others to adopt our worst habits, lest we risk being branded hypocrites by @Janusz .

My life has now forever changed, thank you from the bottom of my heart, for such words of wisdom.

If long time smoker and current vaper see vaping as worst and dangerous habit those regulations that prohibit vaping in some countries are maybe wise... right??? Would you support regulation that will make vaping legal only as smoking cessation prescription?

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
f.w.i.w.

I personally believe am no longer addicted to Nicotine, but I am definitely addicted to the puffing...

I can vape 0mg or 18mg... it makes no difference these days. I conclude I don't do it for the Nicotine.

Anything can be addicting, even food. I think I read somewhere that even certain food releases certain chemicals in your brain to cause addiction. Moderation is what keeps you healthy. I can honestly say it is very very hard to quit smoking as compared to quitting vaping, if you only ever vaped 0 nicotine, from my experiences. I had to have a lot of willpower and dedication to quit smoking and nicotine . I had to go on the patch for 3 months and stop social drinking for a year. I bought a nicotine inhaler and used it every time i had a bad craving for cigarettes, for a year, after my doctor advised I stop the patch. I also ate more. It would have been so much easier to taper nicotine with vaping , if vaping was more common and the devices were out back then that are today.

When I quit vaping I do not crave a vape. I do not eat more. Everyone is different but in my experience, it's a lot easier to quit a habit then an addictive drug.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
We already have those people, and they call themselves the "self-appointed" gluten intolerant. I have grave sympathies for the gluten intolerant where it's real, but it's kind of been adopted by the new agers for some reason I don't quite get. Like, pretending to be gluten intolerant really shouldn't be your next diet plan. But an unreasoning prejudice does seem to sort of exist against wheat these days, it's kind of like labeling a device "nic salt capable BECAUSE THEY ALL are," like, you don't need to label the green beans gluten free, dude, I already KNOW that.

Okay, it probably bugs me more because my mom is one of those "I can't tolerate gluten but I can eat a bit of your garlic bread, Anna, because it's not so bad if I have just a little bit of it," statements.

I GET THAT IT'S YOUR NEXT way to convince yourself to diet, Mom, but it's not very effective and also, carbohydrates are carbohydrates. Etc. Also, yes, you can have some of my garlic bread and I will pretend to not notice when you exhibit ZERO signs of intolerance of it, because it's.... Just easier. IDK.

Anna

My dad was allergic to yeast and could not eat any bread at all or he would get very sick. He was sick for most of his childhood, and was very tiny compared to his twin brother, until they found out what was wrong. Also I have a gluten intolerant friend (probably allergic instead of intolerant) who would never dare have one bite of bread. Unless its gluten free ofc. Like almond/rye bread. There might be a big difference between being allergic and intolerant. I am lactose intolerant but can have cheddar cheese somehow, but feta or mozza will make me run to the bathroom. Also cannot have milk. Maybe its how cheddar cheese is aged / made, no idea.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
If long time smoker and current vaper see vaping as worst and dangerous habit those regulations that prohibit vaping in some countries are maybe wise... right??? Would you support regulation that will make vaping legal only as smoking cessation prescription?
He asked us if it was a good idea to vape, or if he might regret it down the road. We answered. I (and others) got called hypocrites. Which isn't that insulting, because it couldn't be more obvious that it's not accurate. We weren't telling long time smokers who quit, and started vaping, that they were idiots for continuing to vape, while we did the same thing. It seems the general consensus is that we wish we wouldn't have started smoking, but are glad vaping is available, and recognize it as safer than smoking.

So I'm not taking the bait. I have too much respect for the people on this forum to go down that road- no one wants to hear it. This thread is not about legislation to outlaw vaping. We've both weighed in. Let's leave it for someone else to try to contribute something to help the OP make his best decision.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
These have been great and very helpful responses, everyone. Very much appreciated! I think y’all have convinced me not to do it, which has me bummed a tad (although it’s prolly for the better). I came on here for honest opinions and I got them, so thanks :)
Good call, Jon- you're growing up so fast! ;)
Seriously though, one day you'll be really glad you didn't start, and probably even wonder how you'd considered it.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
He asked us if it was a good idea to vape, or if he might regret it down the road. We answered. I (and others) got called hypocrites. Which isn't that insulting, because it couldn't be more obvious that it's not accurate. We weren't telling long time smokers who quit, and started vaping, that they were idiots for continuing to vape, while we did the same thing. It seems the general consensus is that we wish we wouldn't have started smoking, but are glad vaping is available, and recognize it as safer than smoking.

So I'm not taking the bait. I have too much respect for the people on this forum to go down that road- no one wants to hear it. This thread is not about legislation to outlaw vaping. We've both weighed in. Let's leave it for someone else to try to contribute something to help the OP make his best decision.

I apologize. It was not my intention to insult anyone and maybe my understanding of word hypocrisy is different from yours... you would be great spoke person for any anti-vaping organisation that is opposed to that terrible dangerous habit...nobody ... with exception of former smokers would want do all those things below:

Do you want to develop a habit so that every morning, you need to inhale this? Do you want to feel that you can't leave the house without having all your vape gear? Do you want to be in situations where you have to excuse yourself so you can go get a vape? Do you want people to look down on you for being weak, succumbing to a habit of weakness?

I would add: Do you want waste money on all those shiny atties and mods? Do you want waste time on ECF forum arguing which RTA provides better flavor? Do you want people looking down on you because your MTL is not proper or true MTL? Do you want some people call you such names as tootle poofer or cloud chaser? No, I bet nobody on this forum vape for pleasure.... they just have to vape to be able not to smoke... :D

Reactions: gerrymi

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

Anna

True story: The fad Gluten Free by choice diets can make people gluten intolerant. For the people who have a need to try it it's worth trying but not sticking with if it doesn't work or in the end they can end up causing themselves more problems. For those who just doing it because they read something and it's better, they can actually create a problem where none exist. We are individuals with individual solutions to our problems.

No. Because nobody should be required to become addicted to smoking before they're allowed to not smoke.
If that was required there would be a percentage of those smokers who couldn't quit.
If a cigarette virgin goes to the store to buy their first smoke ever and see an ecig sitting right next to their first pack of cigarettes they should have the option to make a safer choice.
If that causes a few people who weren't about to buy that first pack of smokes to pick up the ecig it's still a safer option for the population health.

Hypothetically I'd be more for making a law that you couldn't buy that first pack of smokes unless you tried vaping first.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
I apologize. It was not my intention to insult anyone and maybe my understanding of word hypocrisy is different from yours... you would be great spoke person for any anti-vaping organisation that is opposed to that terrible dangerous habit...nobody ... with exception of former smokers would want do all those things below:

I would add: Do you want waste money on all those shiny atties and mods? Do you want waste time on ECF forum arguing which RTA provides better flavor? Do you want people looking down on you because your MTL is not proper or true MTL? Do you want some people call you such names as tootle poofer or cloud chaser? No, I bet nobody on this forum vape for pleasure.... they just have to vape to be able not to smoke... :D

I vape for pleasure .. lol.. The flavors taste soooo real without having to eat foood ! :D I vape 0 nicotine and have quit every year for 4 years and picked it up again off an on. Mind you I did smoke 9 years ago and it does sort of remind me of smoking.. :)

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
How about "eating a bread".

"
Important Warning for those who have been drawn unsuspectingly into the use of bread:

More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread users.
Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-consuming households score below average on standardized tests.
In the 18th century, when virtually all bread was baked in the home, the average life expectancy was less than 50 years; infant mortality rates were unacceptably high; many women died in childbirth; and diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever, and influenza ravaged whole nations.
More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed within 24 hours of eating bread.
Bread is made from a substance called "dough." It has been proven that as little as one pound of dough can be used to suffocate a mouse. The average American eats more bread than that in one month!
Primitive tribal societies that have no bread exhibit a low incidence of cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, and osteoporosis.
Bread has been proven to be addictive. Subjects deprived of bread and given only water to eat begged for bread after as little as two days.
Bread is often a "gateway" food item, leading the user to "harder" items such as butter, jelly, peanut butter, and even cold cuts.
Bread has been proven to absorb water. Since the human body is more than 90 percent water, it follows that eating bread could lead to your body being taken over by this absorptive food product, turning you into a soggy, gooey bread-pudding person.
Newborn babies can choke on bread.
Bread is baked at temperatures as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit! That kind of heat can kill an adult in less than one minute.

Most American bread eaters are utterly unable to distinguish between significant scientific fact and meaningless statistical babbling.
In light of these frightening statistics, we propose the following bread restrictions:

No sale of bread to minors.
A nationwide "Just Say No To Toast" campaign, complete celebrity TV spots and bumper stickers.
A 300 percent federal tax on all bread to pay for all the societal ills we might associate with bread.
No animal or human images, nor any primary colors (which may appeal to children) may be used to promote bread usage.
The establishment of "Bread-free" zones around schools. "

:D:D:D

I think vaping strawberry jam with toast is much safer then eating huge amounts of bread, pizza , dough, if you are overweight ! :D

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I view vaping as a safer alternative to smoking. I enjoyed smoking, but it was destined to put me into an early grave. I don't view vaping that way. Sure, it's better not to vape than to vape, but vaping is (for me) a safer alternative to smoking a cigarette that employs combustion to deliver a cocktail of dangerous chemicals into my lungs.

Vaping these days is a hobby for me. It gives me something to do with my hands and allows me to mimic the smoking habit that had me hooked for life. I could quit vaping, but that would be boring, IMO.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My mom is in no danger of becoming truly gluten intolerant, she fails at every diet she tries.

IDK why she does it either. She is stout, but not truly overweight her health is decent. I just really want to spend an hour yelling at her, "Mom, you can stop dieting now you are 77 years old. I guess that's easier to say than do.

I think she thinks she is intolerant to stuff because she binges. Like, I would feel ill too if I ate a loaf of bread at a sitting, etc. She kind of ruins foods for herself by overeating, but I bet if she just got off "Diet number 7593" she'd probably eat healthier. Maybe. IDK.

I try not to worry but man. I suppose it's no worse going on Hajj at the age of 77 I mean binge eating has GOT to be safer than that. She's there now. Keeping her in mah prayers. I'm pretty sure it's not a diet strategy she's been wanting to go for ever, but maybe that's a side benefit for her, I'm never sure.

TO THE OP CONGRATS On YOUR DECISION. I don't think you'll regret it and good for you for coming and getting opinions and listening to the good the bad and the ugly.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Because some addiction can benefit some people...:evil:

If second hand smoke is killing that many people and nicotine is so addictive then why is no one addicted to second hand smoke?

I believe addiction to nicotine is less dangerous than for example addiction to food, pain killers and antidepressants. Addiction to food is leading to obesity... obesity leads to poor health and depression... instead using prozac or other antidepressants sombody can use nicotine because nicotine has been shown to have effects on anxiety and depression in both human and animal studies...

Effect of nicotine and nicotinic receptors on anxiety and depression. - PubMed - NCBI

By using nicotine we not only protect ourself from depression but we also protect ourself from being obese because nicotine is also known as apettite supressant

The effect of smoking on obesity: Evidence from a randomized trial. - PubMed - NCBI

Nicotine benefits do not end here....This notorious stimulant may enhance learning and help protect us from Parkinson's, schizophrenia and other neurological diseases.

Nicotine, the Wonder Drug? | DiscoverMagazine.com

:cool:

I just hate to see vaping become a fad. For years it's been a respectable method of replacing and giving up smoking. The younger vaping crowd who's never smoked could demonize vaping if the masses begin to call for it being banned "to save our children".

Just me. You know how public outcry seems to find and label small groups like vapers.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

I grew up in nice areas and had a balanced healthy diet my whole life.. also likely have nice genetics..

I moved with my husband to an area far more impacted by poverty than I have ever lived before. Even the 18 year olds here look in their 30's.. I literally cannot look at the young adults here and tell their age...

that is not due to smoking that is due largely to diet and vitamin deficiencies I would imagine.. But most people my age look 20 - 30 years older than me in many cases, mainly due to the impact of poverty. My husband looks 15-20 years older than me for real yet he's only 7 years my senior, and his dad made decent money for this area.

Thing is, it is also the most stricken by poverty who smoke, so cigarettes in combination with malnutrition likely makes things worse than they might otherwise be for people's skin.

what I think is that smoking took the blame for a lot of what malnutrition caused due to the large number of people in poverty who smoke.

Just an observation, but something I've noticed these last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread