Hi! 5 year vaper in Chicago area

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaYkO

Jan 26, 2018
Hi my name is Benjamin and I've been vaping for over 5 years now and haven't picked up a cig in that long. Been married twice and both my ex-wife and current wife have been turned to vaping from smokes. I started on Blu's and within a year I was onto an ego setup. From there moved on to the itaste vv and similar adjustable voltage setups before going subohm. Never really got into building to much, I mean I have a velocity clone but rarely use it. I've gone from a evic mini, to a target pro, to an istick 200, to an rx200s, to a xcube mini, to a predator, to a fuchai glo, and finally the new smoant cylon I'm vaping now. I have probably triple the amount of subohm tanks from all makes as well. Currently using an old crown 1 with a nickel coil, which brings me to the reason I'm here.
As I stated, I've recently began using the cylon with a crown 1 with a nickel coil. I absolutely love this device and I have no problems with performance. My issue is a glitch that occurs when the device sits for a long time or if I 5 click the device to lock it. It will continually ask me if its a new coil. Every single time I 5 click or if it sits for more than 5 minutes, it happens. The menu pops up and its asking me like I removed the tank and tightened it back down but that is not what's happening. I've never seen anything like it before. If anything, I've had a bunch of mods that rarely ask if its a new coil even when I do change to a new coil or different tank so this is strange to me. Any advice would be appreciated and thanks for reading my long story.

Reactions: Eskie

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Hello and Welcome to ECF. I used to be a Chicagoan.
When I click the fire button 5 times on mine it shuts off. Another 5 times and it turns on. I would contact Smoant to see if the factory reset option in the settings menu will help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MaYkO

Jan 26, 2018
Thanks for the welcome. It only happens in VT mode and not VW mode. Its something in the software that's not holding the data. To me it seems that's a glitch by definition. An error in the software causing to not operate as it should. But maybe I'm wrong. Either way, factory reset didn't help. Still, I still love this device. I will most likely switch to a different tank that I have non-TC coils available at the house. Hopefully, software update will take care of it. Ill wait it out lol

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, don't wait too long in case it needs to be warrantied. I don't own that device and so I don't have specific suggestions. My Punk did that for a while, but it seems to have settled down, I think it was an "initial" thing as I was screwing on a new tank and new coil. It doesn't happen routinely, but if anything changes it's going to ask me if it's a new coil, but only once (unless I turn it off and on again).

Best of luck and also welcome to ECF and congrats on switching to vaping, (as well as your ex wife and current wife). Congrats!

Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Any advice would be appreciated and thanks for reading my long story.
Welcome and glad you joined.
There could be a few obvious and not so obvious causes to your problem.
I would contact:
local B&M Vape Shop (Visit) -----Might be simple.
Vendor who sold it ---see if they will repair or replace or advise (any authorized distributor).
Manufacturer contact ---see if they will repair or replace or advise.

Reactions: stols001

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
HI and welcome. It could be a mod glitch. New firmware might fix it, or it might brick the mod. What it means is, when you turn it on in VT mode, it measures the resistance of the coil attached and, if this measurement does not match the mod's stored parameter, it asks the question about why, or rather if you have installed a new coil. There could be a number of causes. You might have never stored the baseline value. The mod might not be retaining it for some esoteric software reason. Perhaps you stored the value on an unusually cold or warm day and the temp difference presently is enough to change the coil value reading (all coils-- all metals-- change their resistance to current with temperature; this is how VT works, by measuring the difference). Maybe you changed tanks or coils since you stored it and never remembered to do it again. Could be anything, including a broken mod.

So start fresh: dig up the manual and figure out how to store the value, if you don't' remember. Then store it at room temperature. If the mod starts asking you again when you turn it off and on after it's been sitting, you maybe have a mod problem. Bear in mind, if you vape it for an hour, then turn it off and on again, the coil will not be at room temp when you turn it back on; there will still be a lot of residual heat from previous vapes. In that case the answer is no, I didn't change the coil, so the mod will assume the coil is in fact warmer than the storage temp and work from there.

Or you could do as I do: ignore VT mode entirely and just vape wattage mode. :)

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread