Hi! Another Confused Newbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Indiana
Hi I'm a newbe to the site and a newbe to "E" cigarettes, haven't tried them yet. Thought maybe I can get some advice here.

I'm not quite sure about how these work but I'm trying to search the site to figure it out. I have dial-up Internet, UGH! :nah:So it's slow to find things, probably die of smoking before I can manage to search the site and figure things out on my own due to my slow connection,:nun: lol. Sorry if I ask questions that are already posted....I just know I want to try "e" cigs but I don't want to waste my money trying different ones looking for the right one.

I usually order my regular cigs on-line from Oklahoma Outlet but even that has gotten so expensive I really can't afford it any more! Plus like a lot of ppl, I have been told by my cardiologist to quit now.....ya right, tried that. Even with the threat of open heart surgery still no luck. Tried the pills, the patch, cold turkey and it just ain't happening. I seriously think I'm one of those ppl that just need something to do with my hands at all times, lol. I really think this could be the fix for me, I just have to find the right one but don't have the funds to just keep trying them all.

Oklahoma has a brand called Liberty Stix, anyone heard of or use this one? Is says.... This kit includes: 1 battery, 1 atomizer/vaporizer, and 1 charger. * Starter Kit does not include nicotine cartridges. For $34.99 US is this good? How long does a battery last for? A box of 2 refill cartridges says... "Each cartridge is approximately equal to 3/4 to 1 pack of traditional cigarettes..." They are charging $40. US for 10 packs of 2 refills in each pack. Is that good?? Sounds like the equivalent of $20.00 - $25.00+ a carton if their estimate is correct. That's what I pay for real cigs, I thought it would be cheaper....

I've also been checking out vapor4life's web site? Their starter kit says.... "Our Special Kit Includes: 2 Large batteries, 1 USB Battery Passthru, 1 Custom Carry case, 5 Atomizer Cartridges, 1 New Ultimate Battery Charger, and 1 USB battery charger. " For $69.50 US Is that all you need to get started? Any suggestions?

And a really big question is, is there certain e cigarettes that you can save money by doing your own refills? Can you buy the stuff and do things on your own? Or do you always have to buy new cartridges or Atomizers or whatever?

I'm so confused!:confused: Any help would surely be appreciated!!

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
the liberty stix is a version of the mini..........although they resemble a cigarette. Their performance is weaker than manual switch e-cigs..........the vapr4life looks like cartomizers, which is throw away carts and atomizers...both versions are much harder to refill and don't replicate the vapor and throat hit a cigarette does..

I personally recommend a manual switch activated cig which allows for more control of vapor and hit. I have a 510 which is easy to refill the cartridges and has held up and performed very well IMO. There are many others here who have other recommendations as well, but refilling with juice is the best way to go and is working out to less than $5 a carton for me.

DuneBuggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2009
Near the Outer Banks of NC
I'd suggest a 510 too. Easy to top off the cartridges,simple,and performs great.
Go to the "reviews" section and you can read up more on the model and even check out the thread showing all the suppliers that carry it.
And buy a bottle of juice when you order.A 30 ml bottle could last you for WEEKS..And may run you about 20 bucks??

IGNORE claims of how long carts last. Dont expect to stick a cart on it and assume you have a pack of cigarettes. All models have rechargeble batteries.
If you get one thats easy to top off/fill your own carts,it doesnt matter how long the cart lasts really....

The manual switch is a semi unique feature of the 510.Others have it,but its the most common "cheaper" e cig that does. The ones with "auto" switches turn the unit on when you take a drag.Sounds cool,but they have drawbacks.A manual switch is just that.Small button on it you depress while taking a hit.

Cartomizers are what some models use.They have a atomizer (the heating element) and the cart that holds the juice together. Not as cost effective to use as their intent is to use the cart untill its empty,then throw away and put on a new one.Still might be cheaper than smoking though.Ive never owned a model with a cartomizer.
Ive read here about people filling them,but its got to be at least a bit of a pain.

Last edited:

Dawn

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Indiana
I'd suggest a 510 too. Easy to top off the cartridges,simple,and performs great.
Go to the "reviews" section and you can read up more on the model and even check out the thread showing all the suppliers that carry it.
And buy a bottle of juice when you order.

IGNORE claims of how long carts last. Dont expect to stick a cart on it and assume you have a pack of cigarettes. All models have rechargeble batteries.
If you get one thats easy to top off/fill your own carts,it doesnt matter how long the cart lasts really....

Thanks Dunebuggy. I will see if I can find reviews and check it out. :thumb:

Hi Dawn. Look under the 510 subforum in E-Cig Reviews (then Model-Specific subforums). That's the machine to have. Ruyandirect.com sells a nice 510 kit for a song. So do several other suppliers - you'll find them at the top of the 510 forum as stickies.

Don't go for prefilled cartridges. Rip off and not do-it-yourself-friendly. Instead, order up some blanks with your kit -- pretty cheap at Ruyan. Then fill the blanks yourself with some good juices. Read the e-juice review subforum for some good reviews of e-liquids.

Seriously, you can spend a LOT of time on here and not read all there is to know.

The 510 with its manual switch allows you to keep the button pressed and determine for yourself the length of your drag. Other models cut off after a few or more seconds.

You'll ultimately want a "PCC" -- a personal charging case. Inexpensively had. You carry it around with you and alternate putting your batteries in it to recharge. It's pretty cool.

You don't look at all like some of us old geezers on here (LOL) -- I'm sorry you are having to deal with heart issues. But congratulations for taking a step in the right direction -- soon you won't even miss the cigs.

Welcome!!

Michelle

Dawn

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Indiana
i say pick a 510 starter kit a couple spare carts and some juice to fill your own

but there is one problem i found with starting to use Ecigs i have spent probly around 200 on juice of diffrent flavors and doses just to find one i realy enjoy lol

John

Wow $200 on juice? I was confused when I saw that they come in different flavors. So ppl really like fruit flavored cigs? What do you like?

camnaron

Moved On
Jul 22, 2009
Effort, PA
Wow $200 on juice? I was confused when I saw that they come in different flavors. So ppl really like fruit flavored cigs? What do you like?

Right now im going pretty strong on Green Tea its got a real nice mellow flavor almost with a hit of lemon and vanilla but im realy waiting for my Clove juice to show up :w00t:

and a little tip is none of them realy taste like a real cig but after a few days of Vapin your taste buds come back alive and you wouldnt want your juice to taste like those coffin nails anymore anyway lol so dont be scared to try some oddball Juice cause you just might love it :D

john

Reillj

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2009
Boston, MA
I would also say to get a 510. You can find them @ a bunch of places if you look in the suppliers forum. you don't need to spend $200 on juice; but after a while you might WANT to. :)

It really is worth it to do some research and make sure you pay the right price for what you are getting. Don't get ripped off. People around here can help you get started.

And once you do, don't be put off by the first couple of days; they can be tough, as vaping is not exactly the same as smoking. It is WAY better :)

Dawn

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Indiana
Ok, I'm so sorry to be asking so many questions in a thread instead of finding the info myself on the site. I know all the information I need is right here and you all have probably answered these questions a hundred times for newbies and all but..... does anyone know the link on the site for the reviews for the 510 that you guys are talking about? And can you recommend a reputable site to buy them from, best deal??

I found the page that has "supporting suppliers" and there are tons of them on there. My connection is so slow I'm going to die of lung cancer or old age before I can search all those links for suppliers in the US with my connection . :nun: I live in the boonies and seriously there is no real Internet available here. :( If anyone can take pity on me :oops: :D and my pathetic Internet :rolleyes: and would steer me to a reputable supplier that has these 510's that would be fantastic. I really want to try this...... this year, lol.;)

Just if anyone knows them off hand.....

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The 510 is also known as the Dura-C, Titan, Yeti, and Joye 510.
There are also new names coming out soon, if not already out by now.

I'm glad to see you got so much advice without anyone asking you anything about your current smoking habits. Chances are no matter what those habits are the 510 is going to be the best starter model for you anyway, but you never know.

So how much of what do you currently smoke?
And how much do you want whatever you get to look like a real cigarette?
And how much can you tolerate it looking almost nothing like one?
And would you think you would mind pressing a little button to make it work?

Dawn

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Indiana
Ashamed to say I probably smoke 2 packs a day of the Seneca light 100's.
I think I would like it to look pretty close to a cigarette as possible.
On the button issue,is that right where you hold your cig between your fingers in the first place? As long as it isn't all awkward I think I'd be ok with that.
And I'm sure I couldn't tolerate it looking nothing like a cigarette for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread