Hi From Indiana, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amikkwe

Dec 7, 2017
Indiana, USA
I was introduced to vaping by a family member with a vision spinner almost a year ago. I have been smoking for 23 years and want to give it up, and hopefully get my hubby off the cigs too. Liked vaping, but the spinner just didn't seem to have enough oompf for me and I unfortunately fell away from it. We have no shops near me and I have no one around to learn from, so now trying to really educate myself and getting ready to buy a better setup so I can be successful in this. So I came here to learn more and just immerse myself in the community, and hopefully get good advice and support in this new to me world of vaping. So Hello to all, and thanks for having me.

Amikkwe

Dec 7, 2017
Indiana, USA
Hi and welcome.
You have come to the right place.
How much are you smoking now and do you have a budget for the new kit?
Did you have/do you have any flavors you prefer or enjoy vaping?

cheers
I
I am smoking about 1 1/2 packs a day. Looking to spend under $100 for new kit, want one that can grow with me, as I live on disability and don't want to throw money away buying something and then needing to buy again in a few months. Was kinda thinking about the Joyetech Evic VTC Mini. Not sure yet though. Flavors I enjoyed so far were dessert flavors like creme brulee and fruity flavors like peach. Haven't tried many as of yet, but was going to start purchasing some before I get my set up and let them steep so I can enjoy them when I get my kit.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
As a starter kit that mimics smoking very well, I'll suggest you begin with something simple, reliable and effective.
Innokin Endura T20 Starter Kit 1500mAh with Prism T20
INT.jpg

You have a million options for juice. I DIY so I can't offer much help with retail juice.

cheers
I

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Welcome to ecf :)
I'd recommend stuff but i'm usually bad at it.... Only stuff i've liked quite a bit that is suited towards an ex smoker was the original nautilus tank, the mod (battery under the tank essentially) dosen't matter as much imo but if you're thinking of going higher wattage or something that produces more vapor a good 50-60 watt mod could be usefull (in a case like it, i absolutely loved my Aspire nx75 which goes up to 75 watts but it looked pretty darn cute with a nautilus on top tbh :p)

Otherwise lots and lots of people suggest the istick pico i think ? Can't say much about it myself but who knows.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Is your ideal vape just a better vaping experience, or are you really thinking you want to go for larger clouds and direct lung hits? It's a bit hard to recommend something because you state you want a kit that will "grow with you," and I don't want to recommend something that might be something not suited to you, or that you will regret later. I will say for versatility, you could look at one medium priced box mod without huge bells and whistles, and a smaller, MTL tank that will give you more of a tight draw, less clouds, and a different vape experience, and then a tank designed more for sub0hm, if you find yourself preferring more clouds. I guess alternately you could get a tank that is compatible with the Vaporesso EUC coils, which come in a very wide variety of coil types and coil resistances.

If you decide to go with more vapor, you will need less nicotine in your e-liquid, and with MTL vaping you'll need a much higher nic content. The idea of DIY from the beginning is a good one and can be accomplished without TOO many start up costs although there will be some. I'd suggest visiting a vape shop to sample flavors to get a sense of what you like and that will help you decide which flavorings you select first to DIY.

Best of luck this time and I hope it works for you!

Anna

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome.
The Spinners had their day, I had 4 (maybe 5) and enjoyed them until the broke which was quite regular really. That sort of tech is still on sale, I pity anyone buying it for the old prices.
Now.. there are lots of box mods these days, some are very nice and do a great deal without going too mad. I personally like and use;
Evic mini vtc (coming up to two years old)
Eleaf Pico (not so old) and
Aspire NX75 (about 7 months).

Of course, the shops will only want to sell you
1. SMOK and
2. At least 200 watts - because everybody needs to vape these days at 70, 100, 150 watts because they are using pathetic nicotine levels and enjoying the clouds because, of course, smoking made massive clouds didn't it?

So - either get a sensible box mod and nice tank or,
Get an all-in-one beginner kit (Innokin or Joyetech, but not the Penguin i.m.o.)

Amikkwe

Dec 7, 2017
Indiana, USA
As a starter kit that mimics smoking very well, I'll suggest you begin with something simple, reliable and effective.
Innokin Endura T20 Starter Kit 1500mAh with Prism T20
View attachment 704739

You have a million options for juice. I DIY so I can't offer much help with retail juice.

cheers
I
Yeah, but will it be something that will grow with me over time? I am just so new to all this info, and I don't get it all yet, but I would rather go bigger to start off and not have to buy something else because I am disappointed with it, so was thinking about a box mod. That was my whole problem of the Spinner. I just wasn't getting enough performance out of it.

Reactions: stols001

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Yeah, but will it be something that will grow with me over time?
Sometimes basic e-cigs do not grow with you, but for small expenditure you have

a backup
a stealth device
something to give away to a newbie.

Between 2014 and 2016 I more or less bought every device that was that type. None are wasted.
$20, use it for a month, get bored, buy something bigger or different.

Amikkwe

Dec 7, 2017
Indiana, USA
Welcome.
The Spinners had their day, I had 4 (maybe 5) and enjoyed them until the broke which was quite regular really. That sort of tech is still on sale, I pity anyone buying it for the old prices.
Now.. there are lots of box mods these days, some are very nice and do a great deal without going too mad. I personally like and use;
Evic mini vtc (coming up to two years old)
Eleaf Pico (not so old) and
Aspire NX75 (about 7 months).

Of course, the shops will only want to sell you
1. SMOK and
2. At least 200 watts - because everybody needs to vape these days at 70, 100, 150 watts because they are using pathetic nicotine levels and enjoying the clouds because, of course, smoking made massive clouds didn't it?

So - either get a sensible box mod and nice tank or,
Get an all-in-one beginner kit (Innokin or Joyetech, but not the Penguin i.m.o.)
Since you used the Evic Mini vtc, is it something you would recommend then to a newbie, or should I look at something else/ newer?

Reactions: stols001

Amikkwe

Dec 7, 2017
Indiana, USA
Is your ideal vape just a better vaping experience, or are you really thinking you want to go for larger clouds and direct lung hits? It's a bit hard to recommend something because you state you want a kit that will "grow with you," and I don't want to recommend something that might be something not suited to you, or that you will regret later. I will say for versatility, you could look at one medium priced box mod without huge bells and whistles, and a smaller, MTL tank that will give you more of a tight draw, less clouds, and a different vape experience, and then a tank designed more for sub0hm, if you find yourself preferring more clouds. I guess alternately you could get a tank that is compatible with the Vaporesso EUC coils, which come in a very wide variety of coil types and coil resistances.

If you decide to go with more vapor, you will need less nicotine in your e-liquid, and with MTL vaping you'll need a much higher nic content. The idea of DIY from the beginning is a good one and can be accomplished without TOO many start up costs although there will be some. I'd suggest visiting a vape shop to sample flavors to get a sense of what you like and that will help you decide which flavorings you select first to DIY.

Best of luck this time and I hope it works for you!

Anna
I definitely want a better vape experience than I had with the spinner, And I am sure it will be more MTL hits in the beginning, but I am fairly certain I will want more clouds over time. Guess I would Like the versatility of being able to go that route if possible when I feel ready to do so, I know my Aunt sure thought I would eventually (She sub0hms).

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Probably the hardest part will be finding an e-liquid flavor that you will enjoy using. Tip: You won't find one that tastes like a burning cigarette. The vast majority of e-liquid flavors are conjured from food flavoring agents. Since there are no foods that taste like a burning cigarette, you probably won't find an e-liquid flavor that tastes like one. Try to find a flavor from the fruit, desert, candy, coffee, etc flavors that you can enjoy.

For other questions that you may have, I suggest that you read through my blogs. They were written specifically for new vapers. There are more advanced topics in my blog found in my signature below.

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.
Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper. Includes a video on the use of an eGo variable voltage battery/clearomizer and of the iStick and MVP mods.
Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices
  • A picture dictionary for beginners with descriptions of clearomizers, nano's, drip atomizers, bottom feeding mods, cartomizers, cartotanks, and RBA's (rebuildable atomizers). Includes video demos/reviews of all devices. Includes tips on clearomizer tanks to avoid flooding or dry hit issues.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Since you used the Evic Mini vtc, is it something you would recommend then to a newbie, or should I look at something else/ newer?

Hmm. I boycotted Joyetech for about 2 years after the first Evic. (2014?)
But... eventually they made something (not the original VTC, that was junk too) which people were saying was decent and reliable.
You probably don't need newer... this, like many consumer items is driven by every maker justifying new features to not lose the sale to new vapers who presume if it didn't come out in the last 2 weeks it's outdated.
I really rate it. However... I don't use TC on it.
I can't explain why I use it over the NX75 and Pico. Maybe the fact I expected it to break... you know, save the 'better' mods for when the work-a-day mod dies in action.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I definitely want a better vape experience than I had with the spinner, And I am sure it will be more MTL hits in the beginning, but I am fairly certain I will want more clouds over time. Guess I would Like the versatility of being able to go that route if possible when I feel ready to do so, I know my Aunt sure thought I would eventually (She sub0hms).

The good news for you is if you buy a box mod (single battery) you can vape from 5 watts to 60 watts. MTL tanks = brilliant! DTL tanks = if you want too. I sometimes run Subohm on a single battery mod but not often.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I am smoking about 1 1/2 packs a day. Looking to spend under $100 for new kit, want one that can grow with me, as I live on disability and don't want to throw money away buying something and then needing to buy again in a few months. Was kinda thinking about the Joyetech Evic VTC Mini. Not sure yet though. Flavors I enjoyed so far were dessert flavors like creme brulee and fruity flavors like peach. Haven't tried many as of yet, but was going to start purchasing some before I get my set up and let them steep so I can enjoy them when I get my kit.

Hi Amikkwe. Welcome to the ECF.

My best suggestion is to Focus on Mod. Because it is Very Hard for someone else to know what you are going to Like when it comes to a Tank or RTA.

Something like the Evic VTC Mini is a Good Choice. Pared with a Good Set of Batteries, and an External Charger, and you would probably be set Mod-wise for the foreseeable future.

If you decide to go with the Evic Mini, or Any replaceable battery Mod, let us know. And we can point you in the Right Direction for a Pair of Batteries and a Charger.

Amikkwe

Dec 7, 2017
Indiana, USA
Hi Amikkwe. Welcome to the ECF.

My best suggestion is to Focus on Mod. Because it is Very Hard for someone else to know what you are going to Like when it comes to a Tank or RTA.

Something like the Evic VTC Mini is a Good Choice. Pared with a Good Set of Batteries, and an External Charger, and you would probably be set Mod-wise for the foreseeable future.

If you decide to go with the Evic Mini, or Any replaceable battery Mod, let us know. And we can point you in the Right Direction for a Pair of Batteries and a Charger.
I am thinking more and more that is exactly what I will go with, so any suggestions on batteries and charger are welcome indeed. :thumbs:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Yeah, but will it be something that will grow with me over time? I am just so new to all this info, and I don't get it all yet, but I would rather go bigger to start off and not have to buy something else because I am disappointed with it, so was thinking about a box mod. That was my whole problem of the Spinner. I just wasn't getting enough performance out of it.
Of course not, it is an entry level device. It will scratch the itch and deliver a consistent experience for a new user.
You will not need to concern yourself at this point with anything but finding a flavor you enjoy and smoking fewer and fewer cigarettes every day.
You WILL buy another set up after this one. Simple observation, so get the cheap/effective to get the ball rolling.
Take the time to read and research and learn as much as possible and then decide what your next device will be. (A back up device or two is strongly suggested-- I have 3 VTC minis :thumbs: )

Have fun
I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread