Hi guys, I'm back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzguy

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
Plano Tx
Apologies in advance for the novel I'm about to lay out here!

Most of you probably don't know me. I got an original squared off wood REO (when I say original, I mean the very first batch in March or so of 2010, it was purple heart with a maple door and it had 801 connector and no REO etching). I loved that thing dearly, but it was large enough that it never left the house. When buying more portable stuff, it was always 510 threaded, so eventually it didn't get used much due to lack of supplies. I sold it a year or two ago, but I miss it dearly, it was one of the best mods I ever had. I went through other bottom fed mods, wood and other materials, but none ever performed like that thing did. Since then, I've run the gamut with a ton of other stuff. I've got high end and low end genesis stuff which performs well but isn't portable and requires a ton of fiddling, so that's collecting dust now. I've got high end tubes (a Lux, an SS paps, a chi, multiple Zens, etc) a few good tanks (Zen, S&P/diver, custom tank/killer 705), and some nice drippers (nimbus, etc)....

But none of it gives me the performance I want with the portability I want. The closest I've come is Kayfuns. I now have a fleet of those on all my good tubes and they are honestly pretty decent. But they do have a few of their own drawbacks. They have a lot of parts and I switch flavors a lot. They are very wick sensitive, it's easy to have a build that over or under wicks. I've pretty much gotten the hang of them now, but it's not as field serviceable as I'd like. Ultimately, it's not a ton of maintenance, but it's more than I want to deal with if I'm traveling or out and about.

I'm about to get married at the beginning of October in Vegas, and have a honeymoon cruise coming up as well. I don't want to carry a ton of gear, but I don't want to sacrifice performance.

And then I started thinking about that old REO and how great the vape was, how solid the mod was, and how simple everything was. It's been a long time since I looked at the REOS, so I popped into Rob's site and looked around. Wow. Even the grand looks super pocketable, AND they are rba friendly now! And I'm thinking, I love a good RBA with a microcoil and cotton. Hardly any maintenance at all. Not much to travel with. If this thing performs as well as that old skool wood REO I used to have, there's literally no downside.

So long story even longer, trigger pulled. I have a metallic red grand on the way along with an RM2. And I'm getting very, very excited. I have high expectations for this, and if it's as good as I remember (even back then when I didn't have the benefit of a good RBA topper), I might be selling a bunch of stuff.

Anybody wanna take bets on how long it takes before I order another one?

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Wow!!! Welcome back......your new (metallic red!!!! how cool is that??!!!) REO Grand with the RM2 will NOT disappoint. It's gonna feel like coming home!! Congrats on the upcoming wedding, and what a SMART decision to make about what to take on the cruise. I can't wait to hear your comments after you get it. And I'll take that bet......I'm betting that by the time you take the cruise in October you'll own AT LEAST two REOs...probably more. Now, what are we betting?

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Welcome back!

My guess would be no MORE than the few days it takes for your grand to arrive, 5 minutes to coil and wick the RM2, and 10 seconds to say to yourself "what was I thinking selling my original REO?" And that's the outside time estimate. :)

Since you're already familiar with wicking and building coils, you're in for a TREAT when you try it with the RM2. Check out the threads on the "micro" coil, but just doing it the way Rob does it on the Reosmods sight video works GREAT for me!

jazzguy

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
Plano Tx
Wow, thank you for all the comments already!

The metallic red looks pretty sweet, for sure! It'll be a great 'vegas' mod! Also playing into my decision was the fact that at my wedding, I'll be wanting to vape, but don't like the idea of carrying around a lightsaber. The REO looks elegant and understated (although admittedly, metallic red might not have been the best choice in that context, but oh well!!! I dig it anyway!). You know what would be REALLY awesome? A polished one, or even black or one of the beautiful silver tone ones, with an engraving of our names, the wedding date, and Las Vegas, or something like that..... Now THAT, I'd certainly buy immediately, and Cat would win the bet for sure!

I'm expecting delivery Wednesday, and I can't wait. I'll definitely be in here to let you know my thoughts upon it's arrival!

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I agree with Jan... You'll have your grand and your "backup" in time for your honeymoon cruise. Congrats on the impending nuptials.

PayleRyder, now I'm rethinking my bet....sounds to me like he's already picking out the colors for his NEXT one NOW....before he even has the first one. At this rate, he could have a whole slew of REOs by October.....one of each color combination.

@jazzguy....I have a "tuxedo" VV Grand - black body/white door.....it's awesome.....just sayin'......

Oh, and I have a white body/white (with flowers on it) door, too......
......and a purple/purple, and a green body/black door, and a gold body/black door....oh and another all purple.....and a couple extra doors......oh, and some woodvils, too.....and I STILL want MORE!!! It's a slippery slope.....!!!

Last edited:

jazzguy

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
Plano Tx
PayleRyder, now I'm rethinking my bet....sounds to me like he's already picking out the colors for his NEXT one NOW....before he even has the first one. At this rate, he could have a whole slew of REOs by October.....one of each color combination.

@jazzguy....I have a "tuxedo" VV Grand - black body/white door.....it's awesome.....just sayin'......

Oh, and I have a white body/white (with flowers on it) door, too......
......and a purple/purple, and a green body/black door, and a gold body/black door....oh and another all purple.....and a couple extra doors......oh, and some woodvils, too.....and I STILL want MORE!!! It's a slippery slope.....!!!

Lol! This could get expensive, couldn't it? Well, I DO have a pretty decent arsenal that I could unload to fund it! ;)

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
welcome back to Reoville!
welcome home.jpg

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Hello and welcome home!

as far as the engraving goes - I would imagine that is perfectly possible for anyone who does engravings - but your red one will be powder coated and thus not very easy to engrave, because of the multiple layers of the thick coating.

You would want an anodized REO for an engraving or maybe a tumbled raw, that you can even have clear finished after engraving it.

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
You might just as well go on and order two( at least) You know you're gonna before the nuptuals! Then you'll have time to have one of them engraved!
And you'll be in such vaping nirvana that you'll sail through all the upcoming wedding stuff and have a vaping sweet honeymoon cruise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread