Hi, I just joined forum today.

DodR

May 15, 2023
l saw a post from this forum during a internet search and I started reading it. It was a question about using an aegis legend on TCR mode for a Kanthal coil. This poster was being told on the few that I read that he could only use wattage mode on Kanthal. The truth is that the TC modes that most people seem to be familiar with, SS, Ni, and Ti are just preset TCR settings, at least as I have come to understand it. I have used TC-TCR on Kanthal, quartz, ceramic, SS, Ti, and NI. there is no such thing as a material, or coil type that you can not use TC-TCR mode on that I know of.
Anyway, I am shopping for a new mod. Money is not an issue. I am wondering where is best to post for advice and help picking my new favorite mod.

• Useful
Reactions: Izan

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Welcome to ECF, DodR. As I understand it, one can use any type of wire in TC mode but for it (TC mode) to work correctly the correct type of wire must be used. I also think that any of these types of wire can be used in watts or voltage mode. I only use Kanthal in a wattage or voltage or direct (mech) way.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Hey @DodR, welcome to the forum.

Technically you're right about Kanthal, it is possible to use TC with it but there's no mod available on the market that can work with its TCR as its that low.

And to ask about any gear I'd say the Shinyitis thread is a good start or you can always create a new thread in the vaping hardware section of the forum.

DodR

May 15, 2023
    Hey @DodR, welcome to the forum.

Technically you're right about Kanthal, it is possible to use TC with it but there's no mod available on the market that can work with its TCR as its that low.

And to ask about any gear I'd say the Shinyitis thread is a good start or you can always create a new thread in the vaping hardware section of the forum.
    I use an Aegis Legend 2 L200 with a nano tank. I run kanthal 15-25w coils. I use TCR mode frequently. But I am still fine tuning my Mod. Measuring the temperature of a coil submerged in a tank of juice to verify the actual temperature compared to the programed temperature is not something I have figured out how to do. I am unsure of the method for this. With a quartz heater and a glass bucket I can measure the temperature easily with a laser thermometer. But I must take into consideration the gap between the quartz and the glass or ceramic bucket or pan. A variation in temperature between different styles.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    TFR curves are used for advanced TC mode, only Evolv DNA chipsets supports those.

But as I've said before @DodR, Kanthal even with the best chipset on the market will not do TC mode but instead default to the watts/joules used.

It's essential for temperature control that the metal used has a high TCR. That's why metals such as Nickel, Titanium, NiFe and Stainless Steel grades such as 430 are used.

You can find out a lot of technical information on steam-engine.org on the different metals that can be used and how well they'll work with temperature control, just look at TC precision. Higher values are better.

Reactions: DodR

Users who are viewing this thread