Hi...need some help and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sof101

Dec 12, 2017
Hi, I'm very new in vaping, I bought an e-cig few months ago but I started using it since few days (this one is the third day). I'm struggling and confused as I'm not finding it easy,,, very frustrating even if I'm smoking half what I used to smoke but it's not what I was expecting. I red on forums that people can stop since the first day of use. is it true? how many time should I struggle? I'm afraid I can only make this rythm of smoking less than before which is not what I'm looking for. I'm tired of being the slave of cigarettes and I have some health issues (gastritis since many years). I wish I can have some "first days experiences" and the correct process to make in order to quit smoking. many thanks.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
Welcome to ECF :)

My first experience vaping was a cig-alike from a gas station. The thing looked exactly like a plastic cigarette. It didn't provide me with a good vaping experience, but it was good enough to pique my curiosity. I soon found another type of vape equipment that was much better, and paired with a better flavor juice, I quit smoking and never smoked again. So, it was relatively easy for me, but it is not always easier for others. I would advise to not give up on it completely...keep trying.

If you have a local vape shop, stop in and ask them to help you. It's not the cheapest way to go (buying online tends to be), but there is great value in being able to speak with someone who knows something about the equipment and juices available to you. It's also valuable to see things in person, I think, especially when you are familiarizing yourself with something new. Once you get an idea of what you like, then you can venture out into the web and start trying other things.

I would also say that the initial cost seems high, but that investment pays off in the end. Once you find equipment that works for you, e-liquid and coils become your disposables.

Another consideration is how much you smoke...the more you smoke, then the higher nicotine content you will want in your e-liquid initially to help tamp down the cigarette cravings.

I am sure other ECF members will chime in with advice...perhaps better than my own :) Just don't give up, keep trying things and it will get easier to pin down what works for you.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi, Welcome to ECF. First of all, many vapers don't transition instantly, so don't beat yourself up for that. I had exposure to e-cigs in various forms for about 5 or 6 years, and didn't make a full switch until recently (after returning to cigs completely).

It would be helpful to know what setup you are using, and what nicotine level. There may be things you can do to make vaping more pleasant for you and/or a better substitute. If you could post that it might be helpful in giving you suggestions as to what to do next. In the meantime, continue dual using and count the cigarettes you DON'T smoke, not the ones you do. I was a 3 ppd smoker, so there was TONS of room for improvement before I got to my first smoke free day. I started with a direct lung setup and was using too HIGH a nic level, but once I got here and started learning new things I was able to get a setup much more suited to my vaping needs, a smaller MTL (mouth to lung, like one takes a drag on a cigarette) tank, the Nautilus 2 which is a great starter tank. I began vaping at approx. 18 mg nicotine (which is actually a bit on the low side for the amount I was smoking, but it worked). I gradually weaned myself off cigarettes then went through detox. It was unpleasant, but it's achievable with the right gear and motivation.

When I smoked, I vaped immediately before and after a cigarette, paying attention to how I felt and to reinforce that I was becoming a vaper. The right e-liquid makes it easier, and I'd start by taste testing some flavors at a vape shop if you can, to get a sense of what I might like and experimented until finding the right nicotine level.

There are other things that can be done to make the vaping experience smoother, but many folks don't need these other things (nic salts and WTA juice, in case you are curious and want to check them out) but it's certainly not necessary right out of the gate, I'd say work on getting a good setup and the right e-liquid and nicotine level then see how you do. If you need recommendations, there are tons that could be made, but I'm not sure exactly what kit you are using right now, so I'd rather wait before giving any.

The main thing is that you CAN be successful, it MAY take some work (it took me a little while to land on the right equipment and e-juice for me) but if you are smoking LESS it is already working, so you are already on the right track.

If you can please post a bit more information, that would be great. We want to see you be successful!

Finally, welcome to ECF.

Anna

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I stopped this year and i didn't get a cig- a like device or ego style, i started with a simple cheap mod and a nautilus (original 5ml one) i pretty much went cold turkey except for my morning coffee smoke, that one took me 1-2 weeks.

What you must understand is that no one is the same, some can do it cold turkey and never look back, while others can't, i quitted in june of this year and still get a craving for a smoke even though it's been months and i know how bad they taste/smell (if i wasen't vaping i'd be back to smoking in less time than you can count to 11 lol).

Imho it's important when you start the quitting process to find the rythm and gear that suits you the most, i've tried cheaper setups for vaping and didn't satisfy me at all (cig a likes and ego styles mostly) that's why i went with a bigger and better one, not really for more vapor but it had much more taste and longevity which helped me ALOT.
Like Anna said above me if you feel like you need more give us more details so we can correctly help you and make better suggestions :)

Welcome to ecf btw !

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
Thanks stoneface .. it is true my e-cig is very basic (bought from a pharmacy on the airport) and I have only one juice I really don't like. currently I work on oil rig and can't afford more than what I have but I have in mind to get more sophisticated equipment.
That's OK, really. It took me more than a month to move on from the cig-alike. I did buy 3 of them, and they didn't last long at all...and they were mediocre at best. I would just say keep it vaping in mind and try to save a bit of each paycheck until you can upgrade. That's what I had to do, and it worked for me.

Since you possibly work off-shore, I would recommend extra batteries and juice if you can swing it when you start buying stuff. Some vape shops are really helpful and will let you taste juice so that you can find something that works for you.

Good luck :thumb:

sof101

Dec 12, 2017
Thank you stols001 and QcVaper for your advice. it helps to know that I still have a chance to quit. it does nt matter if it ll take time if I'm sure I'll be free at the end. maybe I have to wait until I can have the right equipment, until then I'll try to keep smoking less (the most I can). for me smoking less cigarettes than usual is not a success as I did it before without e-cig (for short periods). I recon it is more easier with e-cig.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
An airport e-cigarette could be bad and expensive and probably unsatisfactory with nicotine and enjoyment.

Some people do quit straight away. People who use junk e-cigs rarely quit.
I used a junk e-cig, never quit smoking and wasted $800 before realizing a greedy company had told me a pack of lies about their product.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Thanks stoneface .. it is true my e-cig is very basic (bought from a pharmacy on the airport) and I have only one juice I really don't like. currently I work on oil rig and can't afford more than what I have but I have in mind to get more sophisticated equipment.

The best cheap mod I can suggest is the Joytech EGO AIO or something similar like the SMOK offerings, simple to use battery lasts for awhile and usually only $20 or less. Find a tobacco flavor to start, maybe an RY4 type, kind of a caramel, vanilla, sweet tobacco. It kind of reminds me of how unlit cigarettes smell. I'd also suggest at least a 12mg liquid to start with, as long as you aren't going to sub-ohm and/or drip right away.

I use one of the AIO's for out and about and bigger stuff at home but really works for me at least. There's some really great starter kits out there that aren't cost prohibitive like they used to be.

sof101

Dec 12, 2017
An airport e-cigarette could be bad and expensive and probably unsatisfactory with nicotine and enjoyment.

Some people do quit straight away. People who use junk e-cigs rarely quit.
I used a junk e-cig, never quit smoking and wasted $800 before realizing a greedy company had told me a pack of lies about their product.
thanks for your comment. I'll try to maintain this "attempt" till I can get more suitable equipment. Did you finally quit smoking? with which equipment? if yes how long did it take to you? It is very important to me to have feedback from people who got over the different difficulties and could quit at the end...

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
thanks for your comment. I'll try to maintain this "attempt" till I can get more suitable equipment. Did you finally quit smoking? with which equipment? if yes how long did it take to you? It is very important to me to have feedback from people who got over the different difficulties and could quit at the end...
I know you asked @djsvapour, but I thought I might chime in along the lines of @papergoblin 's post...The Joyetech EGO AIO (which stands for all-in-one) is a complete set up. It is one of the cheaper options, and it has a tank and battery built into a unit. It charges just like a cell phone. There are similar devices from another company called SMOK. Both Joyetech and SMOK products can be ordered online from several vendors in the US. The only thing you would need to add is a bottle of tasty e-liquid to get started.

EDIT: This would be roughly equivalent to my first set-up beyond the cig-alike, and a pretty inexpensive way to get started. :thumb:

Attachments

• Joyetech EGO AIO.JPG
    Joyetech EGO AIO.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 6

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I agree that you can probably get a setup going fairly inexpensively, many starter kits are inexpensive and a good way to get going. Continuing with what you have and reducing smoking a as much as you can until you find a better device sounds like a good plan, maybe use the time in between to research as much as you can for a device that looks good to you... There will also be Christmas sales soon, which may be a good time to pick up better gear. Even if you dual use for some time, you will still be practicing your vaping skills. Best of luck,

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
. I red on forums that people can stop since the first day of use. is it true? how many time should I struggle? ...

Sure... I have Read Many Posts from people who said they took One Hit off an e-Cigarette and then Never Smoked a Cigarette again.

But Unfortunately for Many, myself included, that Wasn't how it worked. An e-Cigarette wasn't a Magic Pill for me. I needed to Ramp Down on Smoking while Ramping Up on my e-Cigarette.

There was also a Bit of Frustration and Struggle involved finding the Right combination of Nicotine Level(s), Flavor, and PG to VG Ratio. But in the End, I was able to Quit. And More Importantly, Stay Quit, by using an e-Cigarette.

And You Can Also.

So Don't be too hard on yourself. You can Do This. But there will be times when you just have to say.. "No! I'm Not Going To Smoke a Cigarette Right Now." And then Laugh at the Pain.

And Always keep in mind, It Isn't how many Cigarettes that you Smoke, it's How Many Cigarettes that you Don't Smoke that is Important.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Sure... I have Read Many Posts from people who said they took One Hit off an e-Cigarette and then Never Smoked a Cigarette again.

But Unfortunately for Many, myself included, that Wasn't how it worked. An e-Cigarette wasn't a Magic Pill for me. I needed to Ramp Down on Smoking while Ramping Up on my e-Cigarette.

There was also a Bit of Frustration and Struggle involved finding the Right combination of Nicotine Level(s), Flavor, and PG to VG Ratio. But in the End, I was able to Quit. And More Importantly, Stay Quit, by using an e-Cigarette.

And You Can Also.

So Don't be too hard on yourself. You can Do This. But there will be times when you just have to say.. "No! I'm Not Going To Smoke a Cigarette Right Now." And then Laugh at the Pain.

And Always keep in mind, It Isn't how many Cigarettes that you Smoke, it's How Many Cigarettes that you Don't Smoke that is Important.

I was able to quit right when I got my first set up but I was
A) In the so tired of smoking mode, plus had just spent a lot on a set up, so I was going to use it, lol.
B) Was lucky to get a liquid that I really loved the flavor of, so I didn't want the taste of a cigarette.

My brother was the opposite, felt like he couldn't get enough from vaping and dual used for a long time. It took him awhile to find an ADV, but when he did, that was a game changer for him.

Like many say, you don't count what you smoke, you count what you don't, lol.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Agree with most of the posts ahead of me. The folks who have been able to stop smoking with vaping runs the gambit from the first day to 3 - 4 months or longer. Some do it cold turkey (no cigs/just vaping) while others dual use for a period of time. There is no correct way, just what works for you.

We have a saying on this forum to gauge your success, "Its not how many cigarettes you smoked today that is important, its how many you DIDN'T smoke." In other words, don't beat yourself up if you need a cig or two while you attempt to quit.

Right now, you're trying to quit with one of the less successful setups on the market. Although I was able to quit with a cigalike starter setup, I just knew there were better setups on the market. I quickly became frustrated with cigalikes, and within a month of quitting I was vaping on a mod and a much better juice delivery device (tank). The difference was night and day.

There are many testimonials on this forum of vapers who were not able to quit until they found their own ideal setup. For some, it was a particular mod, a specific tank, or a favorite e-liquid. Often it takes some experimentation with a variety of gear or e-liquids.

As everyone will have their own success stories, I will add mine. I had smoked at least a pack per day for over 30 years. I knew the cigs were bad for me, and I was having moderately advanced symptoms of COPD and chronic bronchitis. On multiple occassions, I had tried the traditional ways to quit: Nicotine gum/lozenges/patches, Wellbutrin presciption, and hypnosis twice. None of them helped.

A few years ago my mother found out she was dying of cancer, and within a couple of weeks she died. Ironically, I tried my first disposable cigalike during that period. It wasn't great, but I knew it could work since I had added incentive to not end up like my poor mother.

I researched here on ECF, and purchased a cigalike starter kit. I chose a week to quit. I had one pack of cigarettes left and promised myself I was not going to buy another one. I vaped as much and as frequently as I desired. If I got a craving for a real cigarette, I vaped more. If that didn't help, I allowed myself a half of a cigarette and put out the rest saving it for the next craving. I probably averaged 4 whole cigarettes a day at the beginning of the week.

Those last half used cig butts tasted pretty darn bad, but I imagine that probably helped me to quit. I began to detest the cigs, and prefer the vape more. By the end of the week, when the pack ran out, I wasn't craving the cigs any more. Vaping was keeping me off of the cigarettes. I never bought another pack of cigarettes, and never mooched one off of anyone. I didn't want one. Its been over 5 years and I have been tobacco free since.

I have my personal theory on why vaping worked for me:

1. Vaping replaces the physical addiction to nicotine.
2. Vaping replicates the behavioral "hand-to-mouth" habit of cigarettes.
3. Vaping replicates the psychological "need" to inhale and exhale a smoke-like substance (vapor).

The traditional smoke cessation methods do not cover all of the above. Vaping does!
Sorry that I got so long winded. Below are some articles you may find useful in your quest. Good luck. YOU GOT THIS!

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.
Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper. Includes a video on the use of an eGo variable voltage battery/clearomizer and of the iStick and MVP mods.
Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices
  • A picture dictionary for beginners with descriptions of clearomizers, nano's, drip atomizers, bottom feeding mods, cartomizers, cartotanks, and RBA's (rebuildable atomizers). Includes video demos/reviews of all devices. Includes tips on clearomizer tanks to avoid flooding or dry hit issues.

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales

Yes. I quit over 4 years ago (ooh.. 5 years!). I succeeded with what we would call an eGo + CE4 clearomiser.
My difficulty with the first product I bought (cig-a-like) was that what they said about their product and the truth were not the same.
The refills were advertised as "equivalent 40 cigarettes".. they lasted 80-140 puffs (not <400 puffs) and didn't help with cravings very much. I did not stop smoking. With the CE4 system, using 18mg I gave up almost straight away other than 1 cigarette morning and 1 at night.
Actually, to finally stop those last 2 cigarettes, I used 24mg.
Most of the big brands that sell in Gas Stations and Grocery stores are the cheapest, worst products at the highest price. Some people quit with them with the help of willpower.
You don't need huge willpower (you need some, of course) but you do need a good product.

If you watch the video posted in this thread, the product that is described at about 2.00 minutes is what I use to stop smoking. Anything sub-standard to this is what I would call not good enough for many smokers.

BoogaWu

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Lakewood, CO
I dual used for 6 weeks on a Vision Spinner/Pro Tank combo, using 24 mg nic. Got a Kangertech Dripbox, steeped down to 18 mg and finished the pack I had, never bought another. Well, bought one more, I forgot my vape stuff at home and didn't have time to go back. 4 smokes in, I wanted my vape stuff back.
Biggest thing to getting quit for me was finding a juice I liked, though. Lots of places have sample packs, way more per mil but way cheaper than buying big bottles you don't like. There are some good cheap vendors out there, Mount Baker Vapor and EC Blends got me on the way, but have moved on since. Just got a sample pack from Flavor Shack LLC, 6x100 mls for under $30 a couple weeks ago, and the are all pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread