Hi/rate my setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

memeticengineone

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2016
Hi there, first post, new to ecig forum but not to vaping. I have been vaping for about a year. I started off trying to get everything cheap and getting nothing but bad results from my weak eGo battery and plastic clearos and gas station ejuice (eg. Vaporx, vaporin, zig-zag, haus). I upgraded to an aspire ET-S glassomizer and it was still weak on the eGo, got a KBOX 40W and put the ETS on with a 1.6 ohm coil. The KBOX is way too much power for it, I can only use the 8 watt setting or 13 if the coil is absolutely soaked which is hard to do. I came to realize the ETS BDC coils are just no good for the higher wattage and higher VG juice I want to use. I have found them to be very inconsistent and sometimes only lasting a day or two versus two weeks for others, with the same juice.

Now I am upgrading and I am worried about having too little power for my tank. After agonizing over the decision for about four days, waffling between the Eleaf Melo 1, Horizon Arctic, Joyetech Delta II, Joyetech Cubis, Sense Herakles, or Aspire Triton, all of which the KBOX could theoretically fire, I just bought a Horizon Arctic with the original smaller tank size for $19 at MVS.

I don't know if the KBOX will fire it to its full potential at the max of 40W with the standard 0.5ohm coil. I bought a 1.2ohm Arctic coil to put in as well because I wanted to see if mouth to lung vaping like I'm used to on the ETS would be any good on the Arctic. I saw the 1.2s were better for 10-25W which my KBOX covers easily. I'm aware that it's a little contradictory to expect mouth to lung to be anything like the ETS given that I just bought a juice guzzler with huge airflow. Still I am wondering if the higher resistance coil provides good flavor and if the KBOX is too smol to make the 0.5ohm coil go.

I just ordered the Vapemoar sampler because their juices seem cheap and quality enough though I heard they need a little steeping. Planning on reviewing those soon for their review compensation program and getting a 120ml in return. I'm going to need it if this tank goes through as much juice as I've heard it does.

Thoughts? Did I mess up and grab the wrong tank for my box? Should I have bought the Melo, the Herakles, the Delta 2? The Arctic with a bigger tank? Does the Arctic fit anyone else's coils for a wattage range better suited to be KBOX? Does Vapemoar juice compare at all to ECBlend, which I have really enjoyed? I have a lot of questions and they should probably stay off this thread.

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
Your KBox should be able to handle both a 0.5 and a 1.2 coil. Just start with low wattages and turn it up slowly step by step until the vape is satisfactory for you. You could use the 0.5 coil in the 15 - 35 range, the 1.2 coil in the 10 - 25 range indeed. You don't have to use all the power you have, just use what works well for you. I have 150 Watts mods that i use at 25 Watts. Most tanks i use have 0.5 Ohm coils and use 25 Watts average, to give you an example.

If after a while it might not turn out to be the right tank for you, just get another one, they're cheap. That also goes for the mod, most only last for a year anyway, and a year in vaping is like five years in normal life, as developments go very fast.

memeticengineone

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2016
I think the aspire ETS BDC coils are particularly bad, it's just a little glassomizer, one step up from a plastic bottom coil unit because it's glass, not exactly top of the line. they sell for about $7.50 online (though I unknowingly paid $15 for it at Gandalf's in Portland Oregon!). I have no basis for comparison though except the top coil plastic clearomizer I upgraded from. The ETS works fine if you have a fresh coil and you prime the hell out of it and your juice mix is right for a tight pulling 1.6 or 1.8 ohm coil with very very little airflow. It's a mouth to lung tank for sure. I hate how restrictive it is and how fast the coils wear out/clog up though, after a couple days it's like pulling on a thick milkshake to even get a tiny puff of vapor. It gets super hot too.

Enough about the old. In with the new! I haven't even received my first sub ohm tank and I am already considering a tank with an RBA deck like the joyetech delta 2 or the Kanger subtank. The horizon only takes prebuilt heads but I heard such good things about them (other than they need some priming before use) that I decided to go for the horizon instead of something that takes Atlantis heads like the Melo or the Triton or the Atlantis itself. I also consider myself a budget vaper and I didn't want to spend over $20 on my first sub ohm tank. I would have ordered from fast tech where it's $16 but I have heard their shipping is glacially slow, and it made sense to buy a couple replacement coils and a battery from MVS with it and some juice.

The juice situation is dismal here. I live on a small island in Washington State where the only e juice available is a brand called Seven Crowns that costs $8 for 10ml at the only store in town, and doesn't look stellar. I am very skeptical of the MVS blueberry flavor e juice I got with the order, I hope it's not garbage, it's just to get me by until the Vapemoar liquid comes. I really hope I am making the right choice with the Vapemoar sampler. I figure I will find at least one flavor I like out of the ten and get a 120ml of it from the $3 store credit they give for each review of each flavor, up to $30 in store credit total if you make 10 reviews.

memeticengineone

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2016
Your KBox should be able to handle both a 0.5 and a 1.2 coil. Just start with low wattages and turn it up slowly step by step until the vape is satisfactory for you. You could use the 0.5 coil in the 15 - 35 range, the 1.2 coil in the 10 - 25 range indeed. You don't have to use all the power you have, just use what works well for you. I have 150 Watts mods that i use at 25 Watts. Most tanks i use have 0.5 Ohm coils and use 25 Watts average, to give you an example.

If after a while it might not turn out to be the right tank for you, just get another one, they're cheap. That also goes for the mod, most only last for a year anyway, and a year in vaping is like five years in normal life, as developments go very fast.

I got my KBOX used so I don't know how much use it's seen. I have never heard of a mod going out after a year. 18650s die, sure, but the simple electronics in the KBOX? It doesn't have a screen or anything to crack, it's just 7 leds on one side for power and 7 leds to display the wattage steps. I don't doubt some mods break after a while but I got the KBOX because it seemed minimalistic and durable as a tank. There is probably something I don't know about it. I definitely wouldn't be able to tell if the KBOX was somehow too old to work unless it wouldn't fire anything.

memeticengineone

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2016

Thanks for the advice about the ohm levels and wattage. I have just seen people on YouTube pushing 50-100 watts through the Arctic 0.5ohm BTDC and wanted to know if 30W would be underwhelming, but it sounds like I got a good tank for my box. I almost got the Triton but worried that the 0.4ohm coils it comes with might not fire on the KBOX because 0.4ohms is the minimum and they might not be built consistently enough to avoid going a little under. That might have been a bit of noob paranoia though.

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
I got my KBOX used so I don't know how much use it's seen. I have never heard of a mod going out after a year. 18650s die, sure, but the simple electronics in the KBOX? It doesn't have a screen or anything to crack, it's just 7 leds on one side for power and 7 leds to display the wattage steps. I don't doubt some mods break after a while but I got the KBOX because it seemed minimalistic and durable as a tank. There is probably something I don't know about it. I definitely wouldn't be able to tell if the KBOX was somehow too old to work unless it wouldn't fire anything.
Mostly the firebuttons will die on you. Or the screen which you don't have, or the 510 connector, or the chips inside after a few sturdy drops.

Edit: don't worry too much about the Watts, or ultra subOhms, you can always become a cloudchaser later on, when you get your next setup.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

The thing to be careful with is the 510 interface

depressed centerpin problems;; centerpin insulator problems;; liquid leaking down through the centerpin and getting into the electronics.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hmm, interesting.

...it seems to me, you bought some quite good stuff but paired things up a bit wrong.

For me, you kind of jumped from a low power tank to a high power one working on the theory you then had enough power (from you mod) for the new tank.

Some of the tanks getting mentioned in this thread are way out of my league. I cancelled a good few of them after 'working out' they wouldn't run good enough on my 30w mods. Maybe you should console yourself and get a mod to truly run these tanks. Either way, the original K-box was always a 'make do' effort on the part of Kanger.

Work in progress I say. :)

(Don't rely on the K-box to get the most out of the newest tanks and have something in the pipeline to replace it with, anyway).

memeticengineone

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2016
Hmm, interesting.

...it seems to me, you bought some quite good stuff but paired things up a bit wrong.

For me, you kind of jumped from a low power tank to a high power one working on the theory you then had enough power (from you mod) for the new tank.

Some of the tanks getting mentioned in this thread are way out of my league. I cancelled a good few of them after 'working out' they wouldn't run good enough on my 30w mods. Maybe you should console yourself and get a mod to truly run these tanks. Either way, the original K-box was always a 'make do' effort on the part of Kanger.

Work in progress I say. :)

(Don't rely on the K-box to get the most out of the newest tanks and have something in the pipeline to replace it with, anyway).

I think The KBOX will probably do fine with the 1.2 ohm coils in the Arctic, they are rated for only 10-25W maximum. Maybe I will push the 0.5ohm coils to their full cloud chucking potential if I want to get a new mod and switch to lung hits.

Reactions: djsvapour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread