Hi there! Introducing myself and a small question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sigh, my bad, I was confusing my tanks. I'm glad things are working out better on lower wattage for you. I've never found super high wattage to do much for me other than burn my coils faster, run my batteries down faster, and I don't enjoy the vape. So, if you have found your sweet spot, that may be all you need, but there is certainly nothing wrong with switching coil types either, you may find one you like better.

Best of luck,

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Welcome to ECF! I don't vape that specific coil, but I do use Nautilus coils and you might want to try their 0.7 coil, if it fits in the tank? I don't vape at high wattage at all on that coil, however. We're talking 12 watt, max. That said, they do last about 1.5 to 2 weeks and I use max VG so they get plenty of gloop. One thing that helps me with KEEPING a coil going and avoiding dry hits is inhaling for a second or two longer after I take my finger off the fire button, and that seems to help wick juice *up* on an ongoing basis, so I don't get dry hits at all. I'd agree with others who suggest maybe lowering the wattage if you can, and yes, once a coil gets even a hint of a scorch taste to it (whether it happens on day one-- had that happen with a 1.8 Nautilus coil once-- or day 50), it's just all downhill from there.

I'm hardly a coilbuilder at this point, but I did build and wick my first one and it was a lot of fun and an extremely satisfying vape, so while I find prebuilt coils handy and whatnot for out and about, I'd also suggest (when ready) looking into building your own, it was kind of a "learn as you go" process for me.

Best of luck,

Anna
Off topic; So Anna you finally used one!:thumbs:

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Years ago I realized that I was into flavor as a priority so I had to change my coils very often. That led me to atomizers that used cheap coils. After awhile I made the jump to building my own coils as that was the ultimate low cost and I got much more control over every aspect of the vaping experience.
Where did it all lead to after a box full of atomizers and mods trialed and abandoned? Kayfun v5 with a mineral wick, Provari mod and natural extracts - primarily tobacco. About $300 and worth it.
Good equipment is important. Learn to wrap your coils and you will have many more options to get exactly what you like.

I have a Kayfun 5 and its a fine vape, I also have a Kabuki tank with drop in coils and it's fairly well the same... both are high end. I also bought a 10 dollar nectar rta (genesis style) from fasttech and it's as good (if not better) as either of the high end tanks.. (and easier to build than the Kayfun).. I have a serpent mini and love the vape on that too.. I've tried my son's wismec reaux which takes drop in coils, and it's got as good a flavor as either the Kayfun or the Kabuki or the nectar.. and it's 30.00..

It's the design of the tank and the build of the coil that matters.. not the price. You can get good items inexpensively.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
But i guess bigger juice holes wíll allow me to use a higher wattage for longer, i think? Versus the smaller holes.

No.. if your wicking material is wicking properly, which it should with your juice, then it's wattage which matters.. and wattage only. You can try mixing up a 60vg / 40 (or 50/50) mix and see if it wicks better, but it should be the same if not similar. I'd say your vaping that coil at too high a wattage.

If you want the higher wattage, then if I were you I'd go with a tank and coil set up that can handle it.

Last edited:

RWA1997

Aug 14, 2017
No.. if your wicking material is wicking properly, which is should with your juice, then it's wattage which matters.. and wattage only. You can try mixing up a 60vg / 40 (or 50/50) mix and see if it wicks better, but it should be the same if not similar. I'd say your vaping that coil at too high a wattage.
Ah, alright. Thanks. Too high of a wattage was definately the problem with these EC coils. Vaping at 40 watts tastes and feels a lot differend (and better) than at 50 watts. The coils i'm looking at right now do advice a range of 60-80 watts @ .3ohms. The coil i have now is also .3ohms but it advices a range of 50-80 watts. So what makes it that the wattage range is different?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Ah, alright. Thanks. Too high of a wattage was definately the problem with these EC coils. Vaping at 40 watts tastes and feels a lot differend (and better) than at 50 watts. The coils i'm looking at right now do advice a range of 60-80 watts @ .3ohms. The coil i have now is also .3ohms but it advices a range of 50-80 watts. So what makes it that the wattage range is different?

The build of the coil and the way the coil is wicked can make a difference in how you can vape it, (at what wattage etc).

Personally, I only use one tank with drop in coils, the other I know intimately is the one my son uses. My husband uses the same one I do, so I don't know your particular coils. I have tried several kinds, so I know about some but not all.. therefore I can't say much about how yours are made and how they work best.

But, there are only a handful of components involved so it's easy to trouble shoot. Someday, if you ever decide to take the leap into building, the experience of building will help teach you more about how atomizers work, and help you learn how to do your own troubleshooting.

It's just time, and experience. You will get there! No worries.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
But i guess bigger juice holes wíll allow me to use a higher wattage for longer, i think? Versus the smaller holes.

I love the 0.3 coils in the Melo. The ranges imprinted on the sides of coils are never accurate. I think they do this so you will need to keep buying more and more as they burn out quicker.
The size of the holes does not really make much difference in the way it works. Look at eleaf's ECR coils. These are the ones you can replace the coils and wicking yourself. Super easy to do and since they are reusable seem to last a lot longer than factory coils. Once you look at a you tube video on how to rebuild these, you will wonder why you spent so much on the factory coils. jmho

:)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Thanks to all for the patience and good answers, by the way. I thought i knew a lot about vaping, untill i got this ''advanced'' device. The questions just keep springing up
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might want to consider RDA's. The build deck is normally larger than the tank build decks, and promote ease of build learning. If you can bend a paper clip, you can build a coil.
Might like to read:
Drip Vaping: Your Guide to Dripping e-Juice | Vape-Resource.com
2015: The Art of the Drip - A Dripping Primer | Spinfuel VAPE
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
What is an Atomizer? E-Cig Terminology Simplified
Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'd agree about the size of the holes for the most part, if you aren't changing up VG/PG percentage or anything. If you aren't having wicking problems or dry hits, it's not THAT likely to be juic eflow causing the swift burnout, more likely wattage issues.

I don't think I've vape a coil at "recommended" wattages yet this time around, vaping. I seem to be a wimp, but I also try to maximize my juice/equipment/coils and I don't like blowing huge clouds.

That said, everyone's different, and has different vaping styles, it COULD be that you switch a coil, some magic happens, and you can vape at a higher wattage, though I'm not saying you HAVE to, in fact with temp control data and whatnot coming out, I'm glad I can keep my non-tc coils running as cool as possible, yet still without an anemic vape. What I consider anemic may differ considerably from yours, though. So it's worth experimenting.

Also, yes, I have an RTA tank setup, largely thanks to this forum and the husband, (there is a thread on there about it, if you want so see someone who *really* doesn't know what she's doing achieve SUCCESS, rather similarly to someone paying a grad student to write their English paper, LOL, though this was all free-- gotta love my husband and this forum) but honestly, I love premade coils too, and I would NEVER try (well, at this point) taking a RTA/RTD out of the house, not yet. I'd be terrified it would start acting up and out of the house is where I *need* things to go smoothly, so I imagine that there will always be a place in my heart for the Nautilus 2 and it will operate (though I just ordered a Titanium Kayfun, so who knows???) but, that tank still takes Nautilus coils, so eh, I'm a fan of coiling, but I also am a fan of "Anna Breakproof" products as well.... :)

Anna

Reactions: spindrift61

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I disagree on size and number of holes in the coil and the way the coil wicks and performs. My experience is that the greater the number of ample-sized holes, the better the wicking capability and the better you can vape at a higher wattage.

Comparison case in point:

Aspire Atlantis coils vs Smok TFV8 Beast coils. The Atlantis coils have four very small holes while the Beast coils have four holes that are 2x plus the size. As a result, the Beasts wick much better and I am able to drive them at higher wattage with much less chance of dry hitting.

Tank design influences this, too. In a lot of tanks that use Atlantis coils, the coil gets screwed into a chimney that partially or completely covers the holes (Sega tank). I don't know of a tank that doesn't fully expose the Beast coils' holes to the liquid without obstruction.

The xOCC coils also have larger holes, and the Kanger tanks that take them also fully expose the holes to the liquid in the tank. They wick very well, but they can't be pushed as hard as the Beast coils can, and I think that's because there are only two holes.

I haven't tried the Eleaf EC or Vaporesso EUC coils because I don't yet have tanks that run them. I will by this time next week, though. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread